All-Star Restricted

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

cheysmomager

Cheer Parent
Mar 2, 2011
Would someone explain to me what 'restricted' (as in L5) means? I know that they cannot qualify for Worlds, but what makes a L5 team 'restricted'?

Someone explained it to me before, but they did it quickly and I had no time for questions.

Just wondering.
Thanks!

Have a nice day!
Love,
l

From my understanding it's beneficial for teams that want to have a level 5 team and have some level five tumbling/stunts but not all? So they can be competitive against other "restricted" teams and max out the scoresheet, but they wouldn't be competitive against the "regular" level 5 teams... like they might not have any doubles, so they compete restricted (where doubles are illegal anyway) so they aren't getting scored lower.... but I may be completely wrong, but that's how I understand it. It's sort of a stepping stone between level 4 (like you have too many fulls for a level 4 team w/o sandbagging) and level 5 (not enough to be competitive) so you compete restricted.

Restricted basically means there are limits to the tumbling and stunts. No doubles allowed, along with some other tumbling. No switch kick or hitch double tosses, and some pyramid and stunting skills are not allowed.

It's a stepping stone division from level 4 to level 5.

Would someone explain to me what 'restricted' (as in L5) means? I know that they cannot qualify for Worlds, but what makes a L5 team 'restricted'?

Someone explained it to me before, but they did it quickly and I had no time for questions.

Just wondering.
Thanks!

Have a nice day!
Love,
l
Restricted means no standing fulls and no doubles. There are also restrictions on stunting but not 100% sure what they are. In order to be competitive in this division the team still needs to perform majority level 5 skills. Hope that helps.

Also, the age bracket for senior restricted is different from Worlds teams. Worlds is 12-18. Restricted follows the 10-18 bracket the rest of the senior teams follow.

basically:
no standing fulls
no double fulls
no twisting inversions
no hitchkick or switch kick doubles
no whip fulls

those are the major differences between restricted and regular level 5

And....correct me if I'm wrong here... There is no Junior restricted 5 correct? I only see sr restricted and youth (which has its own restrictions). But we were at an early competition this year with junior 5s and the announcer kept announcing that division as junior "restricted" 5. Which I've not found in the rules anywhere.

Of course the competition we just attended yesterday they announced my kids as Junior "Coed" Level 4 .... And that doesn't exist either...

And....correct me if I'm wrong here... There is no Junior restricted 5 correct? I only see sr restricted and youth (which has its own restrictions). But we were at an early competition this year with junior 5s and the announcer kept announcing that division as junior "restricted" 5. Which I've not found in the rules anywhere.

Of course the competition we just attended yesterday they announced my kids as Junior "Coed" Level 4 .... And that doesn't exist either...
There isn't. Youth 5 was being restricted because of age and fear of body damage (did that end up going through, or are there still 2 youth 5 divisions?)..Junior 5 was addressed but there are so few teams anyway I feel like it would just dilute the division.
Senior 5 was restricted as a means of stopping janktastic teams from feeling like they were getting clobbered in regular divisions. Instead, we just let them go restricted for the majority of the season and then wait until the last minute for them to get a bid to Worlds so they can essentially still be restricted but compete anyway. It works brilliantly.

This division looked really good at NCA Atlanta. Great job Spice Rays and GA even though it's not right to drop a regular level 5 team down to a restricted division just for NCA.

This division looked really good at NCA Atlanta. Great job Spice Rays and GA even though it's not right to drop a regular level 5 team down to a restricted division just for NCA.

GA Allstars had a girl with a fresh injury and the substitute was not junior age.
It's not like GA dropped down to a level 4. It was still level 5 and they are all junior age except the substitute. I say good for them!

Back