All-Star Restricting Tumbling To Your All Star Gym Only??

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

When I was on my first all star team I didn't tumble at the gym except for open gym before my practice. I had private lessons with my tumbling coach who worked at a gymnastics gym. I had been going to him long before I joined the cheer team and nobody had a problem with it, at least they never said anything to me about it. I was going to the required open gym at my cheer gym and still progressing with my tumbling at private lessons, so there really wasn't an issue.

for those not familiar with the area & gym saturation.
25f1tsg.png
I'm only vaguely familiar with that area - but isn't that about a 3-4 hour driving radius?

It's not like those gyms are all down the street from each other and that's a pretty heavily populated area.

I'm only vaguely familiar with that area - but isn't that about a 3-4 hour driving radius?

It's not like those gyms are all down the street from each other and that's a pretty heavily populated area.

From South Jersey to Hagerstown would be about that far. But Twisters draws from both of those areas as well as into PA and VA. I doubt South Jersey would draw from as far as Hagerstown, but conceivably it would draw from DE and parts of MD etc... I agree with your point about the heavy population, so while there are a lot of gyms in the area, I am not sure we are over-saturated with cheer gyms. JMO

From South Jersey to Hagerstown would be about that far. But Twisters draws from both of those areas as well as into PA and VA. I doubt South Jersey would draw from as far as Hagerstown, but conceivably it would draw from DE and parts of MD etc... I agree with your point about the heavy population, so while there are a lot of gyms in the area, I am not sure we are over-saturated with cheer gyms. JMO

Yep. The area I live in isn't heavily populated at all - probably a fraction of the size of the one of the major cities in that area. But we manage to support four all-star cheer gyms within a 20 minute drive of each other.

We live in the WV panhandle (15 minutes from Hagerstown) and have driven to the Harrisburg area (80ish miles) and the Baltimore area (80+miles) in the past. Which is GENERALLY a 2 hr commute each way. This season, we considered driving to South Jersey...we briefly drove to Delaware (both 170ish miles) and are now back in the Baltimore area. The miles are each way and for 2 years she double teamed. A big part of the issue is not simply the miles, it is the traffic in this area which can make it take foreva. Try driving up 95 north from Baltimore towards Delaware during rush hour with major construction. Or wait, try taking the Bay Bridge and flank around instead. Or omggg how about NOT, that was a DISASTER. The crazy things we do for our cheer crazy kids!!!!! Bottom line, wherever we are arriving for practice from that far away, they better have their act together cuz patience went out the window at mile 75 where I got cut off and then flipped off by a maniac road raging weaving in and out of traffic. And if someone is forcing people to drive out there non practice nights for an hour of tumbling, when I drive past like 30 places she could tumble on the way??? Sorry, ONLY happening if there is a carpool. My husband would kill me for agreeing to it, he already toes the line with the practices....well, ok with all of the cheer stuff in general LOL.

Just throwing this out there, I have a friend who cheers for Vipers in Etters, and her mom said they were looking at five more gyms to buy. That map is gonna get a lot more crowded!

Damn, I spend the day at the beach and I miss all of this....lol! Here we go again!

I swear they are the most hypocritical people on this planet, I think I should bring my daughter back there for some "free" open gym ;)

Just throwing this out there, I have a friend who cheers for Vipers in Etters, and her mom said they were looking at five more gyms to buy. That map is gonna get a lot more crowded!
Buying a gym as in starting up a new one or taking over/merging with an existing one?

Vipers in Etters is more towards Harrisburg PA. do you know the location of where the 5 gyms are?

Bottom line, wherever we are arriving for practice from that far away, they better have their act together cuz patience went out the window at mile 75 where I got cut off and then flipped off by a maniac road raging weaving in and out of traffic. .

So funny - I feel exactly like this. Our commute is much shorter this year than last, but it can still take upto 1.5-2 hours if we don't leave on time and hit "real" rush hour traffic. So by the time I get there, my patience has been gone for about 15 miles (in other words an hour ago :rolleyes:) Every time I pull in the parking lot I swear I say the same thing: "If someone so much as loooooks at me cross-eyed, I will <insert whatever horrible thing I've dreamed up for them here>" I'm sure my poor cp has learned more bad words on her ride to practice than anywhere else in life. :oops: We ONLY tumble on practice days. It sucks because I'd really like to come another day for tumbling but I just can't deal with that drive more than 3 days a week.

So funny - I feel exactly like this. Our commute is much shorter this year than last, but it can still take upto 1.5-2 hours if we don't leave on time and hit "real" rush hour traffic. So by the time I get there, my patience has been gone for about 15 miles (in other words an hour ago :rolleyes:) Every time I pull in the parking lot I swear I say the same thing: "If someone so much as loooooks at me cross-eyed, I will <insert whatever horrible thing I've dreamed up for them here>" I'm sure my poor cp has learned more bad words on her ride to practice than anywhere else in life. :oops: We ONLY tumble on practice days. It sucks because I'd really like to come another day for tumbling but I just can't deal with that drive more than 3 days a week.
so thankful Im not alone...:)

I give props to you for that. I'll be honest, there's no way my daughter would cheer at a gym that required even a 1 hour commute each way. It wouldn't ever have been presented as an option to her. It's difficult enough to leave work early three days a week to get her to cheer - if we had to leave 2 1/2 hours early instead of an hour, I'm not sure how accommodating our managers would be.

I think if an athlete has dedicated themselves to their team and they have always competed with their team, why would you stop them improving themselves when it benefits the team they are on , its irrelevant i think where they train as long as they remain loyal too their team especially if its hard for them to get to the gym they cheer for!
I mean not everyone can do it, but under those circumstances id be impressed that someone was motivating themselves but still staying loyal to their team!

Back