All-Star Rumor Control-senior Age Change

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

This is probably very true I guess. Not at T&S though. You stay on juniors until you age out, period. And I think my CP (who has 2 years left on juniors and has already been on J5 for 4 years) is very happy and okay with that. She had the blessed opportunity to double team and compete with seniors at worlds, but only as a double teamer. She still had to remain on juniors. I think it is making her an all around better athlete that way. She is happier than ever.

And win!!! :)

I like this policy. Staying on Juniors until they age out and double teaming onto a Senior team is a good way to get the best of both worlds. Ah T&S...I'm liking you more and more every day.

Not arguing if a 12 yr old "belongs" on a senior team or not. But, is that what is best for the industry. Jr. 5 took a major hit this year in quality and quantity. I suppose it will take another hit this coming season.
I think it took a hit b/c Junior do not go to Worlds and coaches want these kids to get that experience so they put them on a senior team.

Again, 12 year olds belong on a senior team. If you don't want your 12 year old on a senior team, then don't. Seems easy enough to me. Seems like the whining is from 14 and ups getting beat out by younguns. Sorry, I don't really care, I'll fight for 12 year olds, SOME parents might not like it but oh well.

Not really - most of the "whining" is coming from adults. My daughter (16) isn't going to be on a Senior 5 team if they change the age range to 16-16. So it has nothing to do with her getting "beat out" - she isn't going on the team either way. I'm reading the thread about the block party, then I'm reading this thread. Can you really not see where as parents we might think Worlds is not the place for a 12 year old? YOU might not like it but oh well. :rolleyes:

If I could shimmy for "12 years" I would lol!

Isn't it funny how when I used the word "cry" you wrote me an essay on how offensive it was and where I could "stick" my post. But when someone shares your point of view and uses the word "whining" (awfully similar to "crying", no?) you want to shimmy all you possibly can. Double standard much?

And win!!! :)

I like this policy. Staying on Juniors until they age out and double teaming onto a Senior team is a good way to get the best of both worlds. Ah T&S...I'm liking you more and more every day.

Thanks! :D There HAVE been a couple of girls that have moved to seniors as freshmen and not double teamed, but it is VERY rare AND that particular year juniors just didn't need them. :) But ya, I like the policy, too. It proves that the gym cares about EVERY team and not just the worlds teams. Keep the talent spread even and double team when needed. :)

Not really - most of the "whining" is coming from adults. My daughter (16) isn't going to be on a Senior 5 team if they change the age range to 16-16. So it has nothing to do with her getting "beat out" - she isn't going on the team either way. I'm reading the thread about the block party, then I'm reading this thread. Can you really not see where as parents we might think Worlds is not the place for a 12 year old? YOU might not like it but oh well. :rolleyes:

@ Just-a-Mom.......Exclude 12 year olds from worlds because of the block party? Is that correct? How about this, how about you don't let your 12 yr old go to the block party if you deem it not appropriate just as you would do at home! Just because its offered and on the schedule, does not mean they have the right to go. As a parent, in attendance with your child, you say no!

Worlds is about competition, the other things are ancillary.

Thanks! :D There HAVE been a couple of girls that have moved to seniors as freshmen and not double teamed, but it is VERY rare AND that particular year juniors just didn't need them. :) But ya, I like the policy, too. It proves that the gym cares about EVERY team and not just the worlds teams. Keep the talent spread even and double team when needed. :)

@ Just-a-Mom.......Exclude 12 year olds from worlds because of the block party? Is that correct? How about this, how about you don't let your 12 yr old go to the block party if you deem it not appropriate just as you would do at home! Just because its offered and on the schedule, does not mean they have the right to go. As a parent, in attendance with your child, you say no!

Worlds is about competition, the other things are ancillary.

It's not just the block party though. If that's what the 12 year old's teammates are doing at Worlds, what are they talking about at practice? Is it appropriate for a 12 year old to be on a team with high school kids, many of whom are probably bragging about the parties they went to last weekend, or the boys they're seeing, or whatever. If your child isn't the only 12 or 13 year old on the team, it's probably not a big deal, but if they are, then what? Should they stand in a corner away from the rest of the team all night? Or is it okay for them to be exposed to those things?

It's the same reason I'm not entirely comfortable with international 5 being 14+, and I'll never leave my open 6 team. The only high schooler on our team, who was 17, spent the weekend with her mom while the rest of the team bonded and went out and hung out. We get the sense that she sometimes doesn't quite fit in.

I have read this whole thread and I feel I need to speak up. I am from a small gym. I am from an area that only has a very few level 5 teams. Now that thats out of the way, I would like to make a point.
We have NEVER based our programs success on fielding a level 5 team. Niether have any other the gyms in our area, and they as well as we have had GREAT success.
In addition to this I am a firm believer that the bottom age on Seniors should be 14. Here is why. Again, I am from a SMALL GYM. I have small 12 & 13 yr old girls. They are very talented. Is it tempting to move them up to seniors, absolutely. Why dont I? Because I dont think its much of a challenge to my 14-18 yr old girls to stunt with them. Also it ages out my older teenage flyers before their time. Additionally developmentally I do not think its a good combination. You wouldnt let your 12 yr old hangout with a 16 yr old on the weekend? Or have sleepovers would you?
Additionally most other sports focus their divison stucture on the majority, not the minority. So is it a shame that the very few 12 & 13 yr olds have to wait a few years to cheer senior, sure. But in regards to maturity you cannot argue that that MAJORITY of 12 yr olds are not ready or mature enough to be on a squad with teens. You take a room of 100 12 yr olds and maybe 2 are really mature enough to handle it. The age should be 14. IMO.

Definitely either taking them to worlds teams or senior open 5 for sure. But with the influx of senior open 5 teams, my guess is more gyms are creating senior open 5 teams which either eliminates or severely impacts the J5 division.

Yeah this is true the j5 division pretty much died this year.

@WakaFlaka I was using that as an example of the difference in ages. Everyone keeps saying "Oh, the senior athletes are so wonderful with the younger ones. They are like little sisters to them...they aren't exposed to ANYTHING bad..." I disagree. Do you really think that these kids that are "falling down drunk" at Worlds aren't at practice talking about how excited they are about getting wasted before the block party?

But in regards to maturity you cannot argue that that MAJORITY of 12 yr olds are not ready or mature enough to be on a squad with teens. You take a room of 100 12 yr olds and maybe 2 are really mature enough to handle it. The age should be 14. IMO.

And that one word "majority" is why it should be left up to the coaches and parents to decide. What bothers me the most is that people seem to think that levels 1-4 are okay to have kids of ANY age on there (some as young as 6) but senior 5 teams should be 14 and older. It's such a double standard.

And as far as 12 year olds sitting around listening to the older kids talk about their weekend habits, etc. etc., I guess my daughter must be anti-social or something because she never engaged in those conversations with the older girls. During the moments at practice where they weren't actually practicing, she jumped on the trampoline or talked to the other younger kids (14 and 15 year olds) on the team. And funny enough, most of the time it was about church and youth group and how badly they wanted to win worlds...

This can def go both ways because, some of the younger girls (12-13) aren't always little 60 lbs flyers, some of them base and back. That's just how I see it. If all the girls on the team are focused on the same goal to hit and win big it shouldn't matter how old they are. IMO.

And if a gym doesn't offer a Jr team at their level because not alot of the kids their age have the same skill why place them on a lower level team and not let them compete their talent on a senior team with kids with the same skill level.

Isn't it funny how when I used the word "cry" you wrote me an essay on how offensive it was and where I could "stick" my post. But when someone shares your point of view and uses the word "whining" (awfully similar to "crying", no?) you want to shimmy all you possibly can. Double standard much?

Again, 12 year olds belong on a senior team. If you don't want your 12 year old on a senior team, then don't. Seems easy enough to me.
This is the part I liked from this post... so please don't put words in my mouth... You really have nerve

What we are getting at is don't send your 12 year old to the block party, don't put your 12 year old on the senior team if you do not want to. It's a choice that a parent has. Would I send my 12 year old to the block party, NO but I would let her compete on a senior level 5 team.

For the record I agree that young girls don't belong on senior teams....BUT i think of it as more of a parenting issue than a cheer one. It's not the usasf's job to make sure preteens are not exposed to age inappropriate things from older teens...it's a parent's job. So, if as a parent, your child gets placed on a senior team and you dont like it....say no thanks. And if, as a parent, you don't see it as a problem, go for it.

And that one word "majority" is why it should be left up to the coaches and parents to decide. What bothers me the most is that people seem to think that levels 1-4 are okay to have kids of ANY age on there (some as young as 6) but senior 5 teams should be 14 and older. It's such a double standard.

And as far as 12 year olds sitting around listening to the older kids talk about their weekend habits, etc. etc., I guess my daughter must be anti-social or something because she never engaged in those conversations with the older girls. During the moments at practice where they weren't actually practicing, she jumped on the trampoline or talked to the other younger kids (14 and 15 year olds) on the team. And funny enough, most of the time it was about church and youth group and how badly they wanted to win worlds...

I like your daughter. Don't know her...but I like her. :)

As for the other levels, I don't know how most people feel, but I think ALL Senior teams should be 14-18. I am never a fan of 11 year olds on senior teams. A lot of my friends have young ones on Senior teams, so I'm sure I'm offending them when I say this, but I'm sayin' it anyway. I don't like it. As a matter of fact I actually like it LESS when it's a lower level - because then I reeeeally don't get it. At least with Level 5 it makes sense - might be the only Level 5 team they have, might be they need this super talented kid to fly for them, etc. But what on earth would you need a 10 year old on a Senior 2 team for? And this is NOT talking about small gyms. I'm talking about HUGE gyms. That have every level team you could imagine in every age range. Why are 10 year olds on Senior 2? Senior 4.2? Small gym that only has 2 or 3 teams...makes perfect sense. Large gym with 10, 14, 20+ teams...why? :confused:

Back