All-Star Sandbagging Karma

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

cpsmom

Cheer Parent
Dec 3, 2010
I love when sandbagging karma rears its ugly head! Happened in OH this weekend in the Jr 1 division. A gym stacked a team and brought them chasing a Summit Bid. They didn't it get it nor did they win their division. I will just never understand how parents support this behavior by allowing their level 3, 4, or 5 kid to compete on a level 1. :banghead:

There's a gym in my area that has kids crossing from their R5 to their J2, S3, S4.2, J4. I mean sure, why not have a kid with whip through to full and a standing full throw level 2 tumbling.

Why sandbag, just why?

There is always something at stake in order for gyms to chose to do this..IE bid, cash, etc. Old gym had team drop down a level and won all sorts of awards. IMO, you should have won all those awards I mean you stepped on the mat with skills above the level your competing in. I for one find it hard to relax my side-eye for gyms that do this.

We had a level 4 team drop down and compete level 3 2 weeks ago against my cp team and they came in last place!

I've posted this before, but there are times when you HAVE to drop down one level because your kids aren't consistent at that level.

Ex: You're an R5 but you only have a couple of fulls and you don't really max out the score sheet at 5. So you have to drop it back to a 4 or the kids are going to keep coming in like 25th.

However, if you're a 5 team that's dropped back to compete against my S2 (like my previous season coaching), I'm side-eyeing you so hard my eyes are barely in my head.

omg why level 1...like I can compete a double and land...but under no circumstance could I ever. I repeat ever, compete a back walkover
I honestly think a lv5 competing lv1 would be tragic for that very reason. You can ask Arabian through to whip doubles to tumble that pass all day, but ask for a back walkover and you've totally asked the impossible with most of the kids I know...ESP boys with no shoulder and back flexibility.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

It happens all over the place. I've learned to just smile, clap, and congratulate those teams. But I think yes it's a little crazy when you have to replace 50% of your team for summit bc they are worlds athletes too.

I have faith in humanity that we'll get it right.... One day :)

[QUOTE="12stepCheermom, post: 868542,]I honestly think a lv5 competing lv1 would be tragic for that very reason. You can ask Arabian through to whip doubles to tumble that pass all day, but ask for a back walkover and you've totally asked the impossible with most of the kids I know...ESP boys with no shoulder and back flexibility. [/QUOTE]

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android[/QUOTE]

I think they get used to it if they start younger. I only remember one level 5 athlete who had a difficult time not throwing a bhs on a mini level one routine.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Most of my kids that have fulls can't even execute a back walkover! Lol Seriously- they've been cheering before USASF made levels and divisions so they started off with learning backhandsprings. They would definitely lose if I put them on level 1 to win bids! Lol

Most of my kids that have fulls can't even execute a back walkover! Lol Seriously- they've been cheering before USASF made levels and divisions so they started off with learning backhandsprings. They would definitely lose if I put them on level 1 to win bids! Lol

The girls I coach with and I talk about this all the time. We all started cheering 10-15 years ago and skipped straight to back handsprings. I coached a mini 1 last year and we challenged all the girls to get their back walkovers before my assistant coach could learn to do one... She was on a Worlds team the year before.

I've posted this before, but there are times when you HAVE to drop down one level because your kids aren't consistent at that level.

Ex: You're an R5 but you only have a couple of fulls and you don't really max out the score sheet at 5. So you have to drop it back to a 4 or the kids are going to keep coming in like 25th.

However, if you're a 5 team that's dropped back to compete against my S2 (like my previous season coaching), I'm side-eyeing you so hard my eyes are barely in my head.

I totally agree with your post,,, I might be called a softy because I have not experience firsthand athletes being moved down a level, but I heard of athletes, who were moved down a level in order to be competitive on the floor... Believe me, those athletes did not seemed to be very happy about it and were not screaming about jackets, they were upset, disappointed and most of those kids felt embarrassed... So sometimes, like what someone mentioned in a prior post... we have athletes, who worked hard before tryouts to make a team and take all kind of privates, open gym and tumbling classes -- but once they make the sought after dream team stopped working or do not consistently work the skills that got them placed on the team... The coaches, who put these teams together are going by the athletes they selected after tryouts and overshoot their expectations and hope that this team can get even better during the summer months and sadly it does not happened...Btw, If only 25% of team can consistently perform the skills requirements for that level, should they remained in that level because the coaches over estimated during the summer months their team potential, I think not!
Beware- However, coaches and gym owners, who allow such a travesty by putting level 5 athletes on level 2 teams should be shamed out of business, when this knowledge had been revealed and be banned from competing at Worlds. NCAs, UCAs, Cheersport and any reputable competitions for 2 seasons and given the Milli-Vanilli style treatment :mad:- publicly stripped and forced to publicly give up those jackets and all trinkets gained by their cheating, better yet, I also take a 3 page essay from each athletes and the organization on the topic - 'What lesson I learned by cheating' and placed these letters as testimonials on the team's website... (We need to be harsher on these cheaters, so they will learn their lesson and stop, NOW!) Just Saying!;)

Last edited:
I love when sandbagging karma rears its ugly head! Happened in OH this weekend in the Jr 1 division. A gym stacked a team and brought them chasing a Summit Bid. They didn't it get it nor did they win their division. I will just never understand how parents support this behavior by allowing their level 3, 4, or 5 kid to compete on a level 1. :banghead:
I know a level 3 athlete whose mom got a call saying the level 2 team needed her. Mom had the impression there was an injury and the level 3 athlete was needed as a fill in. Once the level 3 was practicing it slowly became clear to the mom that there was no injury. A level 2 athlete had been moved out of the spot she had all season bc she hadn't mastered it well enough for the last chance at Summit $.

I totally agree with your post,,, I might be called a softy because I have not experience firsthand athletes being moved down a level, but I heard of athletes, who were moved down a level in order to be competitive on the floor... Believe me, those athletes did not seemed to be very happy about it and were not screaming about jackets, they were upset, disappointed and most of those kids felt embarrassed... So sometimes, like what someone mentioned in a prior post... we have athletes, who worked hard before tryouts to make a team and take all kind of privates, open gym and tumbling classes -- but once they make the sought after dream team stopped working or do not consistently work the skills that got them placed on the team... The coaches, who put these teams together are going by the athletes they selected after tryouts and overshoot their expectations and hope that this team can get even better during the summer months and sadly it does not happened...Btw, If only 25% of team can consistently perform the skills requirements for that level, should they remained in that level because the coaches over estimated during the summer months their team potential, I think not!
Beware- However, coaches and gym owners, who allow such a travesty by putting level 5 athletes on level 2 teams should be shamed out of business, when this knowledge had been revealed and be banned from competing at Worlds. NCAs, UCAs, Cheersport and any reputable competitions for 2 seasons and given the Milli-Vanilli style treatment :mad:- publicly stripped and forced to publicly give up those jackets and all trinkets gained by their cheating, better yet, I also take a 3 page essay from each athletes and the organization on the topic - 'What lesson I learned by cheating' and placed these letters as testimonials on the team's website... (We need to be harsher on these cheaters, so they will learn their lesson and stop, NOW!) Just Saying!;)

The problem lies in the fact that this practice, according to current rules, is not cheating whatsoever.

Or when a gym has a perfectly fine worlds team but feels the need to create a restricted team rostered by 3/4ths of their worlds team...

I can't completely disagree with this because sometimes there's a few kids who aren't full "world team capable" yet but they have Level 5 skills... creating a Level 5 Restricted team for them to be on and master their skills makes sense even if it does mean pulling other level 5 athletes onto it. I don't believe it is okay if the team is doing it to win but I do think it is okay to give those kids a team to actually work on skills and hopefully move up to the next level.

Back