All-Star Saw My Gym On A Popular Tv Show....

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I saw the ep too. But the person who implied there is a "crime problem" and kids are "from the ghetto" and even making up a story about a kid being arrested was from ANOTHER Atlanta gym. Does not excuse what the gym owner said, but lets get the facts right - it was ANOTHER program who is using the term "ghetto" and "crime."

Good for you for standing up for your child and not allowing her to return. I think it's incredibly sad that the children in that gym were all painted with such a broad - and negative - brush.

I watch the show off and on. Which one is the owner?

I know I would be absolutely livid if this was my gym... African American or not do not portray my family as a charity case when I am busting my #$$ to give my child a very expensive All Star Experience. I wonder if there is any legal ramifications to this situation? any lawyers on the board?
That's my point! I work very hard and to watch these high rolling rich people who throw money away talk about us like that really irritates me. And at the end of the day, this gym wouldn't be talked about at all if it weren't for the collective efforts of all the kids. Color/race shouldn't even be a part of the discussion. All I know is that before all the black kids came along, I had never heard of the gym. There was one video on YouTube and nobody was talking about them. Now you have all these wonderful black kids with so much talent it's insane and the focus is on their social status or lack thereof. I don't get it. It's like we were used to put the gym on some type of platform. Who in their right mind would want to go back and continue to be a part of that?

That's my point! I work very hard and to watch these high rolling rich people who throw money away talk about us like that really irritates me. And at the end of the day, this gym wouldn't be talked about at all if it weren't for the collective efforts of all the kids. Color/race shouldn't even be a part of the discussion. All I know is that before all the black kids came along, I had never heard of the gym. There was one video on YouTube and nobody was talking about them. Now you have all these wonderful black kids with so much talent it's insane and the focus is on their social status or lack thereof. I don't get it. It's like we were used to put the gym on some type of platform. Who in their right mind would want to go back and continue to be a part of that?

I'm sure there are reputable gyms close by that would love to have you!!

So I'm watching tv Sunday night and I see the same colored walls and floor of the gym I was just sitting in four hours earlier in the preview for next weeks episode. I have a WTF moment and I talk to some other parents about it the next day. I get the heads up to check out the first 10 minutes of the up and coming episode and needless to say I am not a happy mama.
As you can see by my avatar, I am African American. I take offense to any implied notion that I am from the 'ghetto' or my child is an 'inner city kid'. The audacity of some rich woman who probably hasn't worked a day in her life inferring that crime has gone up because I (or any other person of color) am now frequenting her area is offensive and ignorant to say the least. Because I know this will be talked about next week as with everything else that is associated with the gym and the owner, I want to be very clear. I am a single mother of two. I go to work every day to pay my bills and make sure my child can do what she loves. My child was not sponsored to cheer so I paid the gym fees, comp fees, uniform, and shoe fees. My child does not need to be mentored or assisted in any way to be a better or more productive person. The children of color at this gym are talented, educated, and motivated kids. I've watched young people take books in to the gym so that they can study during any breaks in practice and maintain a 4.0 GPA while enduring extra practice the entire season. Each and every kid at that gym worked hard to live up to hype that was generated by people who had nothing better to do. An allstar gym is a business, not a non-profit organization. For an owner to portray an image of the savior of little black kids that otherwise wouldn't be able to afford it is hogwash! Majority of the children came from very successful gyms to be a part of something that we thought would be new and great. I personally didn't bring my cp in an effort to be used to enhance the reputation of anyone that sits in a country club and brags about the good that she is doing. If you want to do something good, donate to a homeless shelter or a soup kitchen. Don't bring all of these athletes to your gym to make yourself look like a Good Samaritan.
Words cannot express right now just how disgusted I am at what has transpired this season. Now I have to find a new gym and figure out a way to explain to my child why she won't be cheering wih girls she's grown to love over the season. It should've been about the kids but every time you turn around it was about adults who viewed competitive cheerleading as a joke. Just plain ole disrespectful.
So I'm watching tv Sunday night and I see the same colored walls and floor of the gym I was just sitting in four hours earlier in the preview for next weeks episode. I have a WTF moment and I talk to some other parents about it the next day. I get the heads up to check out the first 10 minutes of the up and coming episode and needless to say I am not a happy mama.
As you can see by my avatar, I am African American. I take offense to any implied notion that I am from the 'ghetto' or my child is an 'inner city kid'. The audacity of some rich woman who probably hasn't worked a day in her life inferring that crime has gone up because I (or any other person of color) am now frequenting her area is offensive and ignorant to say the least. Because I know this will be talked about next week as with everything else that is associated with the gym and the owner, I want to be very clear. I am a single mother of two. I go to work every day to pay my bills and make sure my child can do what she loves. My child was not sponsored to cheer so I paid the gym fees, comp fees, uniform, and shoe fees. My child does not need to be mentored or assisted in any way to be a better or more productive person. The children of color at this gym are talented, educated, and motivated kids. I've watched young people take books in to the gym so that they can study during any breaks in practice and maintain a 4.0 GPA while enduring extra practice the entire season. Each and every kid at that gym worked hard to live up to hype that was generated by people who had nothing better to do. An allstar gym is a business, not a non-profit organization. For an owner to portray an image of the savior of little black kids that otherwise wouldn't be able to afford it is hogwash! Majority of the children came from very successful gyms to be a part of something that we thought would be new and great. I personally didn't bring my cp in an effort to be used to enhance the reputation of anyone that sits in a country club and brags about the good that she is doing. If you want to do something good, donate to a homeless shelter or a soup kitchen. Don't bring all of these athletes to your gym to make yourself look like a Good Samaritan.
Words cannot express right now just how disgusted I am at what has transpired this season. Now I have to find a new gym and figure out a way to explain to my child why she won't be cheering wih girls she's grown to love over the season. It should've been about the kids but every time you turn around it was about adults who viewed competitive cheerleading as a joke. Just plain ole disrespectful.

Good luck to you and your CP the rest of this season and I sincerely hope you all find a great new gym next year. I can only imagine how you all must feel. Again good luck!

This piqued my curiosity so of course I had to watch the pre-view clip. WOW!! There is the clip of obviously amazingly talented athletes practicing and the segment edit basically categorizes them as petty criminals. Holy Smokes!!!

I saw the ep too. But the person who implied there is a "crime problem" and kids are "from the ghetto" and even making up a story about a kid being arrested was from ANOTHER Atlanta gym. Does not excuse what the gym owner said, but lets get the facts right - it was ANOTHER program who is using the term "ghetto" and "crime."
I don't care where she's from. The conversation wouldn't even exist had certain situations not occurred previously. I'm a smart person, I get what she was doing. And if I'm not mistaken, didn't someone get on this forum talking about the wonderful things the owner was doing for disadvantaged kids just a few months ago? And as I stated earlier, allstar is a business. It's not for everyone and the people of color who have their children participate can afford it. Last I checked, my child has the same advantages as many children in that very area and quite possibly better grades. With the exception of teens driving a Mercedes (no matter how much I have, that'll never happen). At the end of the day, I was offended. Point. Blank. Period.

Latest posts

Back