All-Star Scary Fall For Mich St Cheerleader

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

The question is do you believe it is a problem that high school and college Cheerleading have a higher rate of injury and more serious incidence than Allstar? Answer that and I can give you the reasoning.

I don't think you can compare College cheerleading to All Star unless you compare college teams to only level 6 teams.The allowable skills are not related from level 5 and down. Is there a study on the injury rate for all 3 sectors? When there is an injury in Allstars, who do they report the injury to? I would think a college and highschool coach would have to report the injury to the school system they are employed by who could potentially be named in litigation.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/8908148

I've been looking for this all day! This poor sweet CP died in 2005 after being caught on her stomach by 1.5 down from stretch instead of fully doubling.... Should double downs be taken away from level 5 in allstars?

Staying on MSU cheerleader. Does the fact that she only has a "goose egg" prove that basketball courts aren't as dangerous as we think they are?

If that's the story I think it is (and I'm on my phone so I can't pull it up) she had mono and should never have been cleared to cheer. Her spleen was still enlarged and landing on her stomach ended up killing her. We can't expect our coaches to be doctors too.

Oops, Kingston beat me to it.

ps... @kingston I meant to tell you I emailed @cheersafety after we talked but did not hear back. I know I can get very behind in emails and hoping it was the same type situation. I DO hope to be able to work with some folks down the line to continue to change the sport for the benefit of all!

I get a large volume of emails and calls, sorry if your email was missed. Feel free to call me on Monday at 1-800-596-7860 ext 301 or at your convenience. Look forward to speaking to you.

If that's the story I think it is (and I'm on my phone so I can't pull it up) she had mono and should never have been cleared to cheer. Her spleen was still enlarged and landing on her stomach ended up killing her. We can't expect our coaches to be doctors too.

Oops, Kingston beat me to it.

It was mentioned in articles that she had recently had mono and, in effect, still had an enlarged spleen that got damaged during an incomplete double down. If anyone has had mono before you can understand that it can take many, many weeks to fully recover. Even though I think that this was in high school, are there some guidelines/restrictions that AS coaches can/should/HAVE to follow after a major illness? Doctor clearances required? Reduced activity or an alternate compete until absolutely sure that the body is sound for competition? I know that is pretty much protocol for lots of gyms(I hope), but I wonder if she had medical clearance. Mono is nothing to mess with.

It was mentioned in articles that she had recently had mono and, in effect, still had an enlarged spleen that got damaged during an incomplete double down. If anyone has had mono before you can understand that it can take many, many weeks to fully recover. Even though I think that this was in high school, are there some guidelines/restrictions that AS coaches can/should/HAVE to follow after a major illness? Doctor clearances required? Reduced activity or an alternate compete until absolutely sure that the body is sound for competition? I know that is pretty much protocol for lots of gyms(I hope), but I wonder if she had medical clearance. Mono is nothing to mess with.

She did have medical clearance. This girl was from a town a few over from mine and in college I cheered with a girl who had been her teammate. The doctor cleared her but she shouldn't have been cleared.

That being said, I don't know that there are any rules that All-Star HAS to follow, but we can only hope that gym owners would be smart enough to require a doctor's note to return.

The question is do you believe it is a problem that high school and college Cheerleading have a higher rate of injury and more serious incidence than Allstar? Answer that and I can give you the reasoning.

I'd love to give my opinion if you give me the rates of the two and how many are life threatening vs non. Im not in the know on the statistics maybe @cheersafety can help out? Any how many of those injuries came under the supervision of a coach or a "sponsor."

All I know is that the high school I coach and AS teams I coach haven't had any life threatening injuries. And proud to say no knee injuries in the 6 years we've been open/ coaching. And my HS team even bends the AACCA rules a little bit (nobody tell Jim please) and have been very safe.

I've seen my high school team go from barely doing straight up extensions to switch ups and full ups in 3 years. When they were weak and inexperienced we didnt progress past what they could handle. I made that call. I, because of my experiences, knew what the kids could do safely. I didn't need some for profit company to tell me what I could or couldn't do. Maybe we all should be spending our time debating how to best implement legit coaches training / credentialing than whether or not skills should be restricted or our sport should change.

Sorry if I seem short or brash, its late. No animals were injured in making of this post. Disclaimer, I voted to keep youth 5 last rules cycle voting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can't do full ups unspotted on a basketball court. You can do them with a spot.
Yup, and from the video, they did have a spotter...she just fell to the other side. The girl who initially fell isn't not the one who was injured, it was the flyer to her left that got pulled down.

From that update it sounds like she has a concussion (can't remember the event or shortly after the event), glad it's nothing more serious.
As for the stunt itself, looks like it was legal. The update article has a more clear video. It shows a walk up lib, with a spotter. That's legal during a time out.

Specific Basketball/Indoor Court Rules

1. On a basketball court surface, the following skills are prohibited except duringpre-game, half-time, or post-game performances where the area is free of obstructions and non-cheer personnel, and all skills are performed on a matted surface. Timeouts are not exceptions to this rule and are subject to the listed restrictions.
    1. Basket tosses, elevator/sponge tosses and other similar multi-based tosses.
    2. Partner stunts in which the base uses only one arm to support the top person. Exception: Cupies/awesomes are allowed with an additional spotter.
    3. Flips or released twists into or from partner stunts with the following exceptions:
      1. Suspended front and back flips to a stunt or cradle where the top person is braced on both sides by hand/arm to hand/arm contact are allowed.
    4. Two and one half person high pyramids.
    5. Inversions in partner stunts and pyramids with the following exceptions:
      1. Inversions that begin on the ground and go to an upright position where the top person is in constant contact with a base or spotter are allowed.
      2. Suspended forward rolls where the top person has both hands in contact with the hands of a base or bases whose feet are on the performing surface are allowed.
      3. Suspended front and back flips to a stunt or cradle where the top person is braced on both sides by hand/arm to hand/arm contact are allowed.
    6. Twisting tumbling skills.

I'd love to give my opinion if you give me the rates of the two and how many are life threatening vs non. Im not in the know on the statistics maybe @cheersafety can help out? Any how many of those injuries came under the supervision of a coach or a "sponsor."

All I know is that the high school I coach and AS teams I coach haven't had any life threatening injuries. And proud to say no knee injuries in the 6 years we've been open/ coaching. And my HS team even bends the AACCA rules a little bit (nobody tell Jim please) and have been very safe.

I've seen my high school team go from barely doing straight up extensions to switch ups and full ups in 3 years. When they were weak and inexperienced we didnt progress past what they could handle. I made that call. I, because of my experiences, knew what the kids could do safely. I didn't need some for profit company to tell me what I could or couldn't do. Maybe we all should be spending our time debating how to best implement legit coaches training / credentialing than whether or not skills should be restricted or our sport should change.

Sorry if I seem short or brash, its late. No animals were injured in making of this post. Disclaimer, I voted to keep youth 5 last rules cycle voting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There was a study I found that only covered stunting but showed that College was the most dangerous, followed by high school. I think college was 4 times as likely to have an injury and high school was twice as likely. The other side of my logic is just going off what I see every day at Rays and what I saw all throughout college and helping other colleges. Does Rays still have injuries? Of course. Have we had serious injuries, unfortunately yes. But our incidence of injury for how large a gym we are and how many hours and often we practice is a good bit lower than college and high school. I have noticed of my 6 years there that injuries for high school athletes at our gym goes up significantly during high school competition season. most specifically the level 4 and 5 athletes. level 1-3 seem to be less affected, and non-high school athletes do not seem to be affected.

i do not, repeat, do NOT want to kill high school or college cheerleading. I want to find ways for it to thrive! i believe the way it is now is unsustainable. it is a few major incidences away from being over regulated.

Back