All-Star Scores Vs. Number Of Skills - Nca Nationals

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Scores. And agreed two separate things - unless the scores affect the placement.

I am asking to understand better. I believe my proposed change to the method of scoring would fix a lot of possible problems.

Atlanta as a whole was SCORED much better. They also released scores and provided breakdowns.
Judges association would solve so many problems!

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Which pieces? Difficulty or execution?

I am asking to understand better. I believe my proposed change to the method of scoring would fix a lot of possible problems.

I have agreed with you on this since the first time you posted your proposal! I posted this same question on one of the threads regarding Cheersport scoring and it went unanswered. What should the scoring range be in standing and running tumbling when the majority meets the tumbling requirement for a restricted 5 team?

I have agreed with you on this since the first time you posted your proposal! I posted this same question on one of the threads regarding Cheersport scoring and it went unanswered. What should the scoring range be in standing and running tumbling when the majority meets the tumbling requirement for a restricted 5 team?

Without looking .7 and up if you meet their number requirements. So did they get difficulty right and execution wrong or vice versa?

Atlanta as a whole was SCORED much better. They also released scores and provided breakdowns.
Judges association would solve so many problems!

We made our decision before we knew they were going to the Varsity system. I guess we soon figured out why they did that.

We made our decision before we knew they were going to the Varsity system. I guess we soon figured out why they did that.
Oh I completely agree with you. Comparing last season to this season I felt like this year was a huge improvement. Bc I enjoy seeing your program at competitions I figured I'd pass the info on to you!

I agree with everything you're proposing. Prime example: (and this is using my own team as a negative example)

This past weekend at UCA my Senior 3 had a very rough weekend. Deduction city day one, and a hefty accidental legality day two. On day one we dropped a stunt, and bobbled two. We scored a 0.8 on technique. We had a bust and three touches in running tumbling and scored a 0.85 on technique. In that same token, we were only deducted for one bust (fall to knees) but was counted as a touch, and one fall. No one in the division scored a perfect 1.0 on technique on day one. According to these scores my team was technically just as good as every other team in the division (with many of them hitting).

Day two we went out and hit a clean routine minus one touch, and the legality of course. Our technique stayed the same for the most part, a few categories going up to 0.9. USA Wildcats hit a routine of a life time and were visibly light years ahead of my team in technique yet we stayed with in a tenth of them.

My difficulty scores were pretty spot on. We throw what we can and were rewarded proper points. My issue being here that I believe judges spent a majority of that 2 1/2 minutes calculating difficulty that the technique score became and after thought. I see how the importance may have been put on difficulty scoring as it gives a max of 6 points per category as opposed to technique which only gives a Max
of 1. In this particular division difficulty was pretty even across the board and technique made all the difference. I think accurate technique scores really could have swayed some placements. I agree with scoring for USA and myself(1st and 6th place finishers) A lot of the in between teams just seemed really off. I'm not clear with my own team how 3 stunt errors (one major) and 3 major tumbling issues equals the high end of technique. Also this is our second time on this score sheet, and the second time we have had multiple deductions missed.

Something needs to change. I love this scoresheet...I just think something needs to change to make it more accurate. Without the legality my team
would have moved to third and beat teams we had no business beating with the number of deductions and poor execution we had this past weekend.

Oh I completely agree with you. Comparing last season to this season I felt like this year was a huge improvement. Bc I enjoy seeing your program at competitions I figured I'd pass the info on to you!

I appreciate that. I think that CHEERSPORT falling under the Varsity umbrella is probably an overall negative for us, even with improved scoring. We try to divide up our entry fee, uniform, and other money out among different companies, rather than putting all of our eggs into a single basket. With NCA Nationals' price continuing to go up, more and more Varsity events will come off of our schedule to balance that out.

If you won, and you feel this passionate, how must those who lost and believe they were mis-scored, in some areas, feel? I can only imagine their disappointment. :(

Wasn't Dartfish originally supposed to be used as some sort of an instant replay system when it was introduced way back when?

Exactly! Because for me it's not about my team winning or not winning. It's about our judges getting it right and having a judging system in place to make that possible for them. I think our sport has come a long way over the years but the judging is still so out of whack. It's just so different from other subjective style sports because they have to judge so many kids at once. We have to find a way to judge these routines that is as fair and accurate as possible. So ya, even though we won I am still baffled and frustrated that difficulty scores were SO off.

I appreciate that. I think that CHEERSPORT falling under the Varsity umbrella is probably an overall negative for us, even with improved scoring. We try to divide up our entry fee, uniform, and other money out among different companies, rather than putting all of our eggs into a single basket. With NCA Nationals' price continuing to go up, more and more Varsity events will come off of our schedule to balance that out.
Understandable. For us it's close so it helps on travel cost as well as provides competitor that we don't find often. Then again we aren't in Texas lol.

Without looking .7 and up if you meet their number requirements. So did they get difficulty right and execution wrong or vice versa?
The difficulty was wrong. In regards to Cheersport in particular, I think it comes down to what BlueCat has said about the scoring. There are many things Cheersport does exceptionally well, but it isn't a comp I care to go back to (although I probably don't have much of a choice unless my kids change gyms) and I still think there were issues this year. I am not a judge and don't pretend to be one, but I don't care to spend thousands of dollars and time away to travel to a competition when I don't understand the results at the end of the day.

At the end of the day the ability to determine who won should not be a selling point of a competition. People don't go to other sports tournaments because the officiating is more accurate and a home run at one baseball field is worth 1 but over here it's worth 1.5.

EPs should concentrate on making the production grand (a la NCA and the arena) and hire officiating crews through the USASF. I think this is how things will be in a few years.

What this will do is increase local one day events and participation at large events. It will probably kill the middle sized event... But that is the price of progress and our current system is unsustainable.

When reviewing the fairness of scoresheets, it is important to remember that it is nearly impossible for a coach to be objective about their own team. Judges are right about how good you are more often than you tend to give them credit for.

With the new tiers though it doesn't Help when a judge counts wrong. It's making the main judge concentration be on counting so the tier is right.

Back