High School Senior Leaders

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jun 17, 2011
Okay, I need some opinions and some help. I am on a high school varsity team and we don't compete. Two seasons ago we had a rough season in relation to drama, and two girls were very pissed off that they didn't make captain so they really just created a lot of drama and talked about the captains and whatever. This was my first season on varsity fall and I was just a sophomore and only 3 other sophomores made varsity. Last season, our coach took away captains and made senior leaders, which pretty much made all the seniors captains. That was okay that season because there were only 6 seniors, but now my senior year we are going to have 12 seniors. I really want to try to get captains again, but our coach is SO into this senior leader thing. I've worked my whole life to have a shot at captain, and that's besides the point, the team is going to be crazy because our coach really puts it on us to get everything done. I feel like having 12 girls in charge of a team or 20 or so girls will really be rough and there will be zero form of leadership. So does anyone have any ideas of how we can persuade the coach to bring back captains?

Girls on my squad created a lot of drama not getting captain this season aswell. The only thing I can really say to them is get over it.. (harsh.. but really) There's always next year. They shouldn't make things negative towards the girls that did make it. That's very rude and I know its hard when you don't get something but you can still help contribute. I definitley think one or two captains is good for a team that size. Not 12, becausr that's more than half the team. Does anyone on your team feel the same way? Wanting captains back? I think it would be a little more affective if you go to your coach, the head coach of the cheerleading program, and tell her how you guys feel and why it would benefit you as a team. Good luck :)

Every team needs captains. Football usually has captains from each discipline (offense, defense, special teams), its the 3 or 4 guys that go to the middle of the field for the coin toss. No more than 6 captains are allowed in football and they have a roster of 50.

I believe 1 captain for every 10 girls. If you have a varsity team of 20, that would be two captains. This ensure all the girls can hear the cheers, the captains can share the responsibilities and split duties so one captain is not overwhelmed.
It's super important to ensure the balance of cheerleaders have clear communication and consistent messaging. Captains should be complimentary to each other, not exactly the same or widely different. They should have similar values and understanding of the role, but bring different perspectives. This ensures all types of personalities should be able to obtain direction that is effective to them.

There was another discussion on how to choose, and I completely agree with desire first, then knowledge test of the game and cheers to call, essay on what it means to be a captain and what you can bring to the squad to be a unified successful team.

Good Luck!

Back