All-Star Senior Level 5 Worlds Eligible Teams- 12/13 Year Olds

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

madicheermommy

Cheer Parent
Dec 14, 2009
Regarding Sr level 5 worlds eligible teams----I see a lot of posts from people who would like to see the bottom of the age limit changed to a higher age than 12 years old to 13 or even 14 years old. I understand that for smaller gyms, this would often seriously hurt their ability to form a full senior 5 worlds team because they need the larger age range to fill a team at that level.

My question is posed mostly to the large and/or successful gyms that have placed well at Worlds.... Do your coaches typically put 12 and 13 year olds on your worlds level teams? If yes, is it a common or rare occurrence? The gyms that I am thinking of usually have strong Jr level 5 teams.....do your level 5 athletes spend time in the jr5 division before being advanced to a sr5 worlds division?

Though i am not from a big gym ( sorry!) i've really noticed that the big gyms seem to wait until the athletes are a littler older (when they have a j5) unless they're a special case (as in just so extremely talented that they are often higher skilled than athletes already on the team)

(At World Cup) the coaches usually wait until they're a bit older, like at least around 14. But there are some special cases like Kelsey Rule, she's been on that team since she was in seventh grade (so around 12 years old).

I think if the kid has the talent go for it!!! We have an amazing j5 team and most of our Super Seniors were on that team!

This would be a good question to ask in the Cheer Extreme question thread to have Courtney answer it from her view :)

Your right its a senior team and rules say 12 is senior, if you don't like it then don't compete.

Well I'm 17, so no issue for me. I think the rule should be raised to 14 for the bottom age limit.

What's the problem? If she has the equivalent skills, then?

If your 12 and an amazing gymnast should you be allowed to go to the olympics? Or if your a superstar soccer player, should you be able to make the world cup soccer team? No, because rules are set up to protect kids, and help them progress naturally. Just becuase you have the talent doesn't mean you need to show it off imeadiatly. I was on a senior team, and in my stunt group there was a 12 year old, 2 17 year olds, and an 18 year old. Thats not right, or fair for the older or younger kids. Kids should be with kids around their age. If one is going to middle school and one is going to college, does this really look right?

I think some big gyms do tend to wait with their 12 - 13 year olds, esp. if they have a junior 5. However, I also see alot of gyms that are consistently at finals who DO have the 12 year olds. Although, I have also noticed that those gyms of do have the 12 year olds, never seem to be the top caliber teams in their division. They tend to be very talented but cant seem to get to that top 10, top 5 status. I think it is because of the difference in bodies being able to be tight, stiff, sharp, and just the overall nerves and pressure of a 12 year old. Looking at it in more of "statistical" sense, saying that most teams that look as if they have younger girls rarely make it into the group of "top teams" in their division - i think it is clear that its not a great idea to do so and realizing this might be what makes the best of the best as good as they are. I have always been told that just because it is legal, doesnt mean you should do it.

Back