All-Star Senior Level 5 Worlds Eligible Teams- 12/13 Year Olds

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

i know? i said she was on youth 5, and this year she is on se?
I think you just worded it wrong. The way your worded it sounded like she was on both Youth and Senior Elite this past season. However, Ashley was on Youth and Junior Elite for the 09-10 season, and Junior Elite and Senior Elite for the 10-11 season.

I think you just worded it wrong. The way your worded it sounded like she was on both Youth and Senior Elite this past season. However, Ashley was on Youth and Junior Elite for the 09-10 season, and Junior Elite and Senior Elite for the 10-11 season.
yes THATS WHAT I MEANT!

I think some big gyms do tend to wait with their 12 - 13 year olds, esp. if they have a junior 5. However, I also see alot of gyms that are consistently at finals who DO have the 12 year olds. Although, I have also noticed that those gyms of do have the 12 year olds, never seem to be the top caliber teams in their division. They tend to be very talented but cant seem to get to that top 10, top 5 status. I think it is because of the difference in bodies being able to be tight, stiff, sharp, and just the overall nerves and pressure of a 12 year old. Looking at it in more of "statistical" sense, saying that most teams that look as if they have younger girls rarely make it into the group of "top teams" in their division - i think it is clear that its not a great idea to do so and realizing this might be what makes the best of the best as good as they are. I have always been told that just because it is legal, doesnt mean you should do it.

If I have my facts correct, every flyer on CA Panthers was 12/13 yrs of age. And they were ALL beautiful flyers! :)

I just don't see the point of rushing children. Just because you turn 12 doesn't mean you NEED to be on a senior team. Just because you turn 16 doesn't mean you need to get your liscence- half of my friends shouldn't even be allowed near a car. Look at T&S- I believe @Mclovin said they keep you on juniors until you age out. I love that- it keeps you with kids your own age, and allows for good progressions. If I was 12 would I want to hang out with 18 year olds? Heck no. Cheer is a big sport activity first and formost, but it is also a big social thing as well, where you're spending so much time a week together with the same people. Would you rather spend 10+ hours a week with someone the same age as you, or someone 5 years older?

This is what people were takling about with juniors going to worlds. Do kids have the talent? Yes obviously. But worlds is something you should look forward too, and be completely ready for. But thats for a different thread.

Some programs are generally younger programs. I know in Illinois you can't cheer in high school and do all star, so we lose a lot of kids once they begin high school because they want the "school spirit" experience. Our smallest numbers are in senior.

This is why I so badly wish they'd allow us to do both in IL. It would make everything so much better. (sorry. off topic)

I personally think coming from a small gym that they should keep it 12 because we have some amazing 11 year olds that cant wait for season 2012-2013 to go on to the worlds floor and if they change it, its gonna upset them and then it would put there talent to waste since they can't compete as a junior 5 at worlds

I personally think coming from a small gym that they should keep it 12 because we have some amazing 11 year olds that cant wait for season 2012-2013 to go on to the worlds floor and if they change it, its gonna upset them and then it would put there talent to waste since they can't compete as a junior 5 at worlds
No matter the age, some talented individuals will be left out. If it goes to 14 then some great 13 year olds can't be on a worlds team. If it goes to 10 then some great 9 year old is going to be upset.

Personally, I think it should be older, but, at least the USASF has held it's position on this one for a while.

I just don't see the point of rushing children. Just because you turn 12 doesn't mean you NEED to be on a senior team. Just because you turn 16 doesn't mean you need to get your liscence- half of my friends shouldn't even be allowed near a car. Look at T&S- I believe @Mclovin said they keep you on juniors until you age out. I love that- it keeps you with kids your own age, and allows for good progressions. If I was 12 would I want to hang out with 18 year olds? Heck no. Cheer is a big sport activity first and formost, but it is also a big social thing as well, where you're spending so much time a week together with the same people. Would you rather spend 10+ hours a week with someone the same age as you, or someone 5 years older?

This is what people were takling about with juniors going to worlds. Do kids have the talent? Yes obviously. But worlds is something you should look forward too, and be completely ready for. But thats for a different thread.

Yes, T&S rarely puts an athlete on senior 5 as their PRIMARY team before they age out of juniors, however, it has happened a couple of times with some girls who are 14. However, every year since I have lived here there have been kids double team from juniors to seniors and compete with them either half the year or the entire year, my 7th grade CP being one of them this past season. Did anyone think she stood out as "not belonging" size wise or did she look "tiny" compared to the rest of the fliers? Did she jump, motion, tumble or even stunt weaker than the rest of the team? And, for those of you who keep saying "12 year olds that are 60 pounds".... my CP was 12 (by USASF standards) and was 89 pounds and she is considered LITTLE compared to others her age. Just wanted to once again make that point. :)

So, I definitely think this topic is getting old and I definitely think that 12 is a great minimum age for a worlds team. I do think it's rare to see "tiny" 12 year olds on senior 5 teams at this point. If my CP is little for her age at 4'11" and 89 pounds and didn't stand out as being tiny, I don't think there are that many girls out there that are much smaller than she is. I think the days of people putting up "tiny" fliers (60-70 pounds girls) is rare. Are they out there? Sure. I can tell you I didn't see one TINY flier this past year at worlds. And when I say tiny I mean girls who are literally 60-70 pounds. I personally think we have a bigger problem with our 1-4 level senior teams as I can't tell you how many competitions I went to where EVERY SINGLE FLIER on a team was literally 60 pounds soaking wet. That's where I've seen the biggest issue with a flier's size. Not worlds divisions.

Yes, T&S rarely puts an athlete on senior 5 as their PRIMARY team before they age out of juniors, however, it has happened a couple of times with some girls who are 14. However, every year since I have lived here there have been kids double team from juniors to seniors and compete with them either half the year or the entire year, my 7th grade CP being one of them this past season. Did anyone think she stood out as "not belonging" size wise or did she look "tiny" compared to the rest of the fliers? Did she jump, motion, tumble or even stunt weaker than the rest of the team? And, for those of you who keep saying "12 year olds that are 60 pounds".... my CP was 12 (by USASF standards) and was 89 pounds and she is considered LITTLE compared to others her age. Just wanted to once again make that point. :)

So, I definitely think this topic is getting old and I definitely think that 12 is a great minimum age for a worlds team. I do think it's rare to see "tiny" 12 year olds on senior 5 teams at this point. If my CP is little for her age at 4'11" and 89 pounds and didn't stand out as being tiny, I don't think there are that many girls out there that are much smaller than she is. I think the days of people putting up "tiny" fliers (60-70 pounds girls) is rare. Are they out there? Sure. I can tell you I didn't see one TINY flier this past year at worlds. And when I say tiny I mean girls who are literally 60-70 pounds. I personally think we have a bigger problem with our 1-4 level senior teams as I can't tell you how many competitions I went to where EVERY SINGLE FLIER on a team was literally 60 pounds soaking wet. That's where I've seen the biggest issue with a flier's size. Not worlds divisions.
First, let me say thank you!! I agree I feel this subject is :deadhorse: but it continually comes up. My question to you is, so what if a senior let say "2" for point of argument puts up 7, 60lbs fliers if they can do their job? Again, no one has EVER said, that 6 ft tall girl is "too tall" to back spot, so why is a girl who is "age eligible" competes and does what she is supposed to.

I can tell you I didn't see one TINY flier this past year at worlds. And when I say tiny I mean girls who are literally 60-70 pounds. I personally think we have a bigger problem with our 1-4 level senior teams as I can't tell you how many competitions I went to where EVERY SINGLE FLIER on a team was literally 60 pounds soaking wet. That's where I've seen the biggest issue with a flier's size. Not worlds divisions.
and this is the argument i have been trying to make all alone! CAP ALL SENIOR TEAMS not just level 5. poor senior 2 kids having to hang out with 7 year olds at practice.

Back