All-Star Senior Level 5 Worlds Eligible Teams- 12/13 Year Olds

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Just because you're small does NOT mean you're going to be a good flier. You're going to have to prove yourself...i've seen itty bitty girls be terrible flyers. If a girl can do it, she deserves to be there...whether she's 12 or 18.

Okay just because a kid is 12 doesn't mean that they have to weigh less than 80 pounds. Also an 18 year old is not necessarily larger than a younger kid. All of those tiny girls that you see flying on college teams previously flew on their senior level allstar teams too.

Raising the minimum age for senior level teams would be unfair to people like me who were 13 as a freshman in high school. For all of the people arguing to raise the minimum age to 14, would it be fair to not allow freshmen in high school to be on a senior team?

Ok so IMHO I think it depends on the kid and the team. I think 12 is a reasonable age to be on a senior team (rarely are they the only ones on a team)My cp is on a junior 4 team there are 13 yr old girls(non flyers) who are way smaller than my daughter (she is 5'2 and 120 lbs not a single fat cell on the girl either lol) she is 12. I personally like to see senior teams with larger flyers I think it looks more uniform then have 18 yr olds stunting with 10 yr olds. If my cp team stays together next season they will have to go senior as some of our girls will age out of juniors but they would be a young senior team so the younger girls who would be 12 next year will not look tiny. I think the powers that be have taken all the sides into consideration before making these rules, I do not think there is a reason to change them. Just my 2 cents take it or leave it.

I have to say you have it better than we do here in the UK.

At the moment there is no minimum OR maximum age for Senior Levels 1-5 (just one person over 16/17 years). It is suggested that there be no more than a 10year age gap between oldest and youngest members but this is in no way policed.

This results in some VERY odd squad dynamics. I have previously seen a mother AND daughter competing on the same allstar squad!!!!!!

Come on now jjjamm, depends on when you ask. ;) They started the year as 12 0r 13. They ended the year as 13/14. Regardless, they rocked!
All of the Panther flyers this year were 12 or 13 cheer age. Also had 2 bases that were 13. There were no 18 year olds and if I am not mistaken there were only three 17 year olds. Panthers was a very young team!! 

I think it should be moved up to 14yo. I think it's pretty ridiculous to see a group of 17 year olds stunting with a 60 pound 12 year old. It's not fair imo. Also I think that's soooo much pressure being put on them. Of course, i'm just going by how I think I would feel in this situation.

i think younger kids handle pressure WAY better than older kids.

We can't keep doing this to these kids who work there but off. We've raised the age to 11, eliminated juniors from worlds, and now you want to raise the age to 14. I just think thats not right. And the "they have nothing to look forward to" argument can be thrown out. i've never met 1 person who gets tired of competing at worlds. So can we only have seniors at cheersport and nca so that the younger kids dont get bored with it?

i think younger kids handle pressure WAY better than older kids.

We can't keep doing this to these kids who work there but off. We've raised the age to 11, eliminated juniors from worlds, and now you want to raise the age to 14. I just think thats not right. And the "they have nothing to look forward to" argument can be thrown out. i've never met 1 person who gets tired of competing at worlds. So can we only have seniors at cheersport and nca so that the younger kids dont get bored with it?
I can't help but call BS on the 'it isn't fair.' I'm sorry, life isn't fair, and it's not going to start to be tomorrow. *Insert unfairness examples from various World Competitions/Little League World Series/Olympics Scenarios involving age* While I DO think the age min should be 14, that's just because I like teams in GENERAL having small age gaps..preferably. I know in most cases that doesn't work, but eh. And YES, small gyms, I know it would blow you out of the water, so don't even go there :p

I think I said this earlier but I wish they would go back to the old age grid they had in the early 2000s when you had to be a freshman to be on a senior team

Worlds is supposed to be about highlighting the most exceptional athletes and the bottom line is if the 12 year old has the talent then they are truly exceptional and should be rewarded for their hard work and be able to prove themselves against the best of the best

I can't help but call BS on the 'it isn't fair.' I'm sorry, life isn't fair, and it's not going to start to be tomorrow. *Insert unfairness examples from various World Competitions/Little League World Series/Olympics Scenarios involving age*
Except he didn't mention anything about being fair. He said it wasn't right, which even though is subjective, isn't the same.

Irregardless, it's kind of a copout for ppl to simply use the "Life isn't fair" to substantiate an argument.

Jeez... when I was 12, I was like 5'4" 105 pounds lol

I've spoken on this issue many times, but I'll try to keep it brief. I do think there should be a minimum age limit put on ALL levels and ALL divisions, but the argument I've received in return is that it would hurt small gyms. I will always be a firm believer in small, age-appropriate, skill-appropriate teams. I'd rather compete a senior team with 12 kids on it who are all over 14 than go to 20 by adding younger kids. As a coach, you approach different ages in different ways, and having no minimum just complicates things.

I don't have kids, but if I had a 12/13 year old daughter, there is NO WAY I would want her hanging around high school girls. My social circle at 13/14 included 18-19 year olds, and I was exposed to a lot of things that I probably shouldn't have been. My parents would have had me on house arrest if they knew what we talked about and did lol

In the push for legitimizing us as a sport, we need to be able to stand up in a comparison with other sports. What other sports allow teams such a disparity in age to compete in a legitimate tournament against other similarly disparate teams?

Except he didn't mention anything about being fair. He said it wasn't right, which even though is subjective, isn't the same.

Irregardless, it's kind of a copout for ppl to simply use the "Life isn't fair" to substantiate an argument.
By 'right', one assumes there is justness or a given rightness to an ideal or concept. Neither of which applies, and also falls under a similar principle to 'fairness.'

It's not a 'cop out', it's the truth. For whatever reason, the current age divisions are the way they are. But if they were to change, there will be a reason for doing so, and the reasoning against it ALSO can't be substantiated by 'fairness.' Fair involves freedom from self-interest, and it would be in the self-interest of 12 year olds to say they SHOULD go to Worlds.

By 'right', one assumes there is justness or a given rightness to an ideal or concept. Neither of which applies, and also falls under a similar principle to 'fairness.'

It's not a 'cop out', it's the truth. For whatever reason, the current age divisions are the way they are. But if they were to change, there will be a reason for doing so, and the reasoning against it ALSO can't be substantiated by 'fairness.' Fair involves freedom from self-interest, and it would be in the self-interest of 12 year olds to say they SHOULD go to Worlds.

at least make it a good reason for raising the age. because you dont like small flyers is a stupid reason...

Back