High School Senior Night

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Mar 29, 2012
I just took over a high school's cheer program and am looking for ideas for Senior Night. The schools tradition has been to have the senior football players and cheerleaders be announced with their families before the game. There is a new football coach this year who is looking to change a lot of the traditions around, one of them being that only the senior football players are called out with their families before the game on senior night. Instead of arguing with the coach and demanding that he include our girls, I was wondering what are some of the things that your high schools do for your senior cheerleaders? I can do whatever I would like during half time as the football coach doesn't have too much control over that. Our senior night is this Saturday (yes, the coach sent an email yesterday with all of his changes) so any ideas would be great!!

I know there are a few threads already about this topic filled with some great ideas! I would suggest searching for them :D

I have to say, as a football and cheer mom whose son is a senior this year, I would put my foot down on the cheerleaders walking with their parents. At our school, not only the players and cheerleaders walk with their parents, but so do the senior members of the band! That is something as a parent, if they tried to take that away from me, I would fight tooth and nail.

Do the parents of the girls know he wants to make this change?

I have to say, as a football and cheer mom whose son is a senior this year, I would put my foot down on the cheerleaders walking with their parents. At our school, not only the players and cheerleaders walk with their parents, but so do the senior members of the band! That is something as a parent, if they tried to take that away from me, I would fight tooth and nail.

Do the parents of the girls know he wants to make this change?

I completely agree. Our school also includes football players, cheerleaders, and band members in Senior Night. All senior football players, cheerleaders and band members also have posters up along the field. I think as a parent I would not be too happy if tradition was suddenly changed. My cp is a junior and not cheering for her school but she will for senior year and I know she would be upset. She's already talking about her poster ;-)

@Cheermom1969 @hercheermomma I do not think the parents know about this decision. One cheer mom of a girl who is in 10th grade has been included in the conversation and she very politely told the football coach that he is out of his mind for wanting to change this tradition. His response was that he understands that the cheerleaders parents may not agree, but that he doesn't care, he is making this change and many more. He also made a comment in not so many words to either support him or get off the boat. I am on my way to to the school now, so we will see what goes on. Through all of this he wants the cheerleaders to make a bunch of signs saying "thank you seniors" and stuff with the senior football players numbers on it, but doesn't want to acknowledge the senior cheerleaders. I so want to tell him to make his own signs!

@Cheermom1969 @hercheermomma I do not think the parents know about this decision. One cheer mom of a girl who is in 10th grade has been included in the conversation and she very politely told the football coach that he is out of his mind for wanting to change this tradition. His response was that he understands that the cheerleaders parents may not agree, but that he doesn't care, he is making this change and many more. He also made a comment in not so many words to either support him or get off the boat. I am on my way to to the school now, so we will see what goes on. Through all of this he wants the cheerleaders to make a bunch of signs saying "thank you seniors" and stuff with the senior football players numbers on it, but doesn't want to acknowledge the senior cheerleaders. I so want to tell him to make his own signs!

We have a football coach like him. Do not bother talking to him. Just don't. Nothing you say will make a difference. You need to get the administration on your side. Do the best you can there. Then if they won't override him, let every parent know what is happening and give them phone numbers and names of people (both principal and school board) to contact and hope that they can make a difference.

And he can make his own f'ing signs!

Last edited:
We have a football coach like him. Do no bother talking to him. Just don't. Nothing you say will make a difference. You need to get the administration on your side. Do the best you can there. Then if they won't override him, let every parent know what is happening and give them phone numbers and names of people (both principal and school board) to contact and hope that they can make a difference.

And he can make his own f'ing signs!

^^^^^^^^ all that. What about the AD?

Why does the football coach have control over it? Ours is coordinated by the AD. Maybe he is hoping that if he tells you, you'll just believe him and not realize that the AD is the only one with the power to do that. Band, dance team, cheer, and football are all included. How ridiculous that he thinks they shouldn't be recognized....

We have both cheerleaders and football players announced before game and the band during halftime for Senior Night. If you can do it during halftime-that might be better-more people around who otherwise might miss first of game. Also, since they also cheered for basketball we had Senior Night then too-which was good, bc last year on my CP Senior Night for football it POURED. It was a hot mess. I handled all senior nights for all sports at our HS last year. We had buttons made for the moms with their athletes pic on them. I had flowers for all the girls, and decorations for the venue of each sport.

Why does the football coach have control over it? Ours is coordinated by the AD. Maybe he is hoping that if he tells you, you'll just believe him and not realize that the AD is the only one with the power to do that. Band, dance team, cheer, and football are all included. How ridiculous that he thinks they shouldn't be recognized....
I wouldn't be surprised if other schools do it this way. At some high schools, being the football coach is like being king. Didn't someone on here mention that the football coach at her high school had the school's colors changed, and the cheerleading team had to pay for new apparel in the new colors?

Last edited:
I wouldn't be surprised if other schools do it this way. At some high schools, being the football coach is like being king. Didn't someone on here mention that the football coach at her high school had the school's colors changed, and the cheerleading team had to pay for new apparel in the new colors?
We had a football coach come in and because he liked Army or Navy football (can't remember which) and had the football team dress in black and gold while everyone else wore read and blue, the actual school colors. He refused to have the football team wear red and blue, so it ended up sticking. All sports eventually changed to black and gold, cheerleaders being the last ones to change, I want to say about 15 years after the initial change. The band still wears red and blue. Mind you, this happened way before my time, about 30 years ago.

Fast forward to today, where the head football coach does whatever he wants, as does his son. It's kind of pathetic and makes me hate the world.

We had a football coach come in and because he liked Army or Navy football (can't remember which) and had the football team dress in black and gold while everyone else wore read and blue, the actual school colors. He refused to have the football team wear red and blue, so it ended up sticking. All sports eventually changed to black and gold, cheerleaders being the last ones to change, I want to say about 15 years after the initial change. The band still wears red and blue. Mind you, this happened way before my time, about 30 years ago.

Fast forward to today, where the head football coach does whatever he wants, as does his son. It's kind of pathetic and makes me hate the world.
Let me guess, the cheerleaders had to pay for their own uniforms?

Let me guess, the cheerleaders had to pay for their own uniforms?
Probably. Everything is self funded though.

God forbid the cheerleaders ask for a piece of track for games so they aren't tumbling on rocks and nails, but the football team can build a stadium that puts the entire AD in debt after 8 years and has no end in sight.

Back