High School Senior Night

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

For both football and basketball we were announced at halftime (we went to the middle of the field or court) For basketball out coach gave us glow sticks and basketball she gave us flowers. For basketball they also said where we were going to school next year, although mine changed from what they said hahah

@Cheermom1969 @hercheermomma I do not think the parents know about this decision. One cheer mom of a girl who is in 10th grade has been included in the conversation and she very politely told the football coach that he is out of his mind for wanting to change this tradition. His response was that he understands that the cheerleaders parents may not agree, but that he doesn't care, he is making this change and many more. He also made a comment in not so many words to either support him or get off the boat. I am on my way to to the school now, so we will see what goes on. Through all of this he wants the cheerleaders to make a bunch of signs saying "thank you seniors" and stuff with the senior football players numbers on it, but doesn't want to acknowledge the senior cheerleaders. I so want to tell him to make his own signs!
I would not be okay with this. Go directly to the AD, it is not right not to recognize the seniors. We have the same tradition and the girls who be so upset if they were no longer included. I would get parents on board to speak with AD as well.

Thank you everyone for the advise and encouragement! I spoke with my seniors during practice last night about the proposed changes and they got very upset. I have written an email to the AD and will see what we can do. Unfortunately the AD is a pushover so I can see him giving the football coach whatever he wants. During our homecoming it has been a tradition for the cheerleaders to make a sign for the team to run through- this year the coach made them walk around it saying that the team didn't have the time to run through the sign.

I am all for making changes and "reinventing" your program, that is what I was hired to do for the cheer program- but I didn't walk in and say "I'm changing every tradition you have and I don't care." You have to have some give and take with this stuff.

Thank you everyone for the advise and encouragement! I spoke with my seniors during practice last night about the proposed changes and they got very upset. I have written an email to the AD and will see what we can do. Unfortunately the AD is a pushover so I can see him giving the football coach whatever he wants. During our homecoming it has been a tradition for the cheerleaders to make a sign for the team to run through- this year the coach made them walk around it saying that the team didn't have the time to run through the sign.

I am all for making changes and "reinventing" your program, that is what I was hired to do for the cheer program- but I didn't walk in and say "I'm changing every tradition you have and I don't care." You have to have some give and take with this stuff.

I can't believe the football coach had them walk around the sign! If he acts that way and ticks enough people off good look having any support from the community/parents in the future. That is just so disrespectful and embarrassing for the girls

IF you're AD backs him up, then go to the principal, the school board, etc. It is not fair if there are other seniors (cheerleaders, statisticians, water boys, band members, or what have you) that aren't being acknowledged because the football coach is a d*ck! If enough parents have the guts to stand up for their seniors or the other seniors then he shouldn't get away with it. When I took over there were some WEIRD traditions. The first year I went along with them for the most part adding some suggestions where there def. needed to be some. The second year I changed a few things, still keeping most of the traditions. Third year, kept the traditions I liked, nixed the ones that were stupid (why would each class have to make signs for games, that's a cheerleaders job). This year, we're still keeping the ones I liked, reinventing some others.

I urge you to get the word out to the parents and, again, provide them phone numbers to the AD, the principal, and the school board main office. It sounds like they're the ones that are going to have to make the difference here.

**Update**

I emailed the AD who didn't get back to me, and who was nowhere to be found once I got to the school. I did get an update from a parent who called the coach and she is relaying that the coach is willing to include our seniors for a small portion of the pre game festivities. I also got an email from the coach really late at night stating he is "respectfully emailing me" to discuss senior night. Could be in response to me calling him rude, insensitive and disrespectful in my email to the AD :)

Thank you all for the support! I am glad to hear that I am not the only one who thinks he is crazy! He keeps saying that this isn't how it is done in college and at the colleges that he has coached at the cheerleaders where able to do this great ceremony for the seniors during half time so why can't we? Last I checked 1- we aren't a college, we are a high school and 2- the game is Sat and you decided to change everything on Tuesday!

Let us know how it goes. Hopefully the senior cheerleaders can walk with their parents tomorrow! That's the very minimum that should happen, if that is tradition.

Hopefully he will be more willing to work this out now. Good job!

I actually brought this up to my cp because I kept thinking about the cheer sponsor at her school and how she would handle this. She said the same thing cheermom1969 said....he could make his own signs LOL.

We have a new head football coach this year who is also the AD and of course he had his own ideas. Cp said he has kept the old traditions while instilling his own. It's just not right to take something away from these kids and their parents that they have been looking forward to with no warning.

Let us know how it goes.

Probably. Everything is self funded though.

God forbid the cheerleaders ask for a piece of track for games so they aren't tumbling on rocks and nails, but the football team can build a stadium that puts the entire AD in debt after 8 years and has no end in sight.
:banghead: And this is why I'm worried about our country. I imagine it's worse in Texas.

Or maybe not, because the cheer parents would go crazy!

Last edited:
The girls are walking out!! I just got an email from the football team mom with the schedule! WHOOHOO! Success!

I have been coaching all stars for over 10 years, and this is my second try and coaching high school, and I love it this go round! I would hate to see it ruined by a meany football coach!

The girls are walking out!! I just got an email from the football team mom with the schedule! WHOOHOO! Success!

I have been coaching all stars for over 10 years, and this is my second try and coaching high school, and I love it this go round! I would hate to see it ruined by a meany football coach!

Yeah!!!!! So glad the seniors will be recognized! This cheer/football mom is so happy for you and them. Good job putting your foot down for your girls! Enjoy the rest of the season. :)

I am late to the party but it made me cry thinking about how that football coach treated your team. How dare he!!! We are back-to-back state champs and our cheerleaders are afforded the same respect as the football players. When the players received their state medals last year, our cheerleaders did too. Our school honors the players, cheerleaders, band, drill team, trainers and mascots on senior night along with their parents. The senior moms also get special recognition at the senior pep rally....we get to perform a routine. :). I am excited for that!!

Just read this whole thread. UNREAL. What a J..A... Glad you got a victory. Horrible, horrible.

I had to add this....I just bought our football program and guess who is on the front cover...the senior football players AND the senior CHEERLEADERS! There is also a picture of the entire Varsity football team WITH the entire Varsity cheer squad. If our school can treat our Varsity cheerleaders with this much respect (and trust me football is king at our school), then I don't think it's too much to ask that every Varsity cheer squad be treated with dignity and the respect that they deserve.

Back