Serious About Cheer?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jun 13, 2017
Hi, I wanna get serious about cheer. Some gyms do video auditions, and when the athlete gets accepted they move to that area. Those athletes tend to be 16/17 years old and they move out and in with an athlete whos already on the team. How can i do that? I want to tryout for a bigger gym thats two hours away, so id have to be on my own because my moms not just gonna up and go. Ill legally be allowed to move out this year. How can i make this work? Thank you!

You need to think how you're going to pay for this. Not only will you need to pay for the season, you'll need to pay for living expenses. What's your plan for that?

Also, why move for cheer? What is your end goal? Once you figure that out, think about if it's really worth it. You'll be missing family, friends, and probably time to be a kid since you'll need to work to pay for life.

Hi, I wanna get serious about cheer. Some gyms do video auditions, and when the athlete gets accepted they move to that area. Those athletes tend to be 16/17 years old and they move out and in with an athlete whos already on the team. How can i do that? I want to tryout for a bigger gym thats two hours away, so id have to be on my own because my moms not just gonna up and go. Ill legally be allowed to move out this year. How can i make this work? Thank you!
You know, you don't have to move for cheer to be serious about it. There is nothing wrong with taking advantage of training opportunitin in your area.

No way, its a teo uour drive
*two hour
You need to think how you're going to pay for this. Not only will you need to pay for the season, you'll need to pay for living expenses. What's your plan for that?

Also, why move for cheer? What is your end goal? Once you figure that out, think about if it's really worth it. You'll be missing family, friends, and probably time to be a kid since you'll need to work to pay for life.

Ill get a job, and a roomate. Thats the plan

*two hour

Plans can fall through. Roommates can end up being terrible, your job might not work out, and like @dawgshow said, you could be missing out on the last years of your childhood. Also keep in mind that if you end up disliking the program that you moved for, you can't just ditch your roommate and go back home. Not sure how lease commitment works when you're a minor in need of a co-signature from a legal adult, but you might end up having to stay for longer than you want to.

TBH arranging a carpool with another family at that gym (if possible) seems like the more sensible option, once you've made a team (assuming that you do). Is there not public transportation that runs by the gym that you can use to get to tryouts?

Also, how will your schooling be affected by all of this?

To be perfectly honest, most kids who move for cheer have been serious for years by the time that they are your age. What is your skill level? How dedicated are you to the sport already? Have you shown a level of commitment to the sport, so your parents would feel comfortable in letting you make such a major choice in your life.

Balancing a Worlds team, finishing school and working, all the while trying to keep a house on your own is a lot, financially and mentally. It is a lot of hard work. I am not against kids moving to their dream teams but most have been working towards that goal for many years.

*two hour

I don't think you have thought this out. For a 2 hour program you do not necessarily need to up and move... some people actually may carpool that far. The gym you are looking at may have information on that... I know our gym has people that far that do commute in groups for our high level World Teams. Have you visited this gym ? done clinics there? felt if their culture matches yours? Have you discussed this with your parents? looked at the cost of apartments? asked parents about co-sgigning on an apartment as a minor can not rent one (you have no credit history)? Have you looked at what jobs you could be able to qualify for and how much they make and how much you will have left after taxes? There is a lot more than sending in a video and just moving....what I wrote here is just the tip of the iceberg. My kids know if they are wanting something big or likely to say no to that they better have the information to present their case.... doesn't mean I'll say yes but I will send them back to put in the work and think things out fully....I think you need to really research this out. It is summer most gyms have camps and clinics that may be a good first step ... see if this gym is worth the effort and time and a good fit.

Back