High School Setting Good Examples

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

My school has about 3,000 kids overall, and about 60 cheerleaders (freshman, jv, and varsity) and our school does a pretty good job of monitoring. Yes, there are people who post pictures or say things that could potentially get them in trouble, but it's never really the cheerleaders because we know our coaches or activity director could find out. If they see bullying, swearing, or something they may just tell you to watch what you say and leave it at a warning or make you sit a game. If they see you doing something illegal they have the power to take you off the team but I don't know what the policy is if they can suspend you/ in school suspension/ if it wasn't at school.I do know that the school can suspend you for something you say on twitter/facebook about something that involves school. I know a kid who got in school suspension for saying something inappropriate about a teacher. I think the football players and cheerleaders do a pretty good job of keeping up a good reputation online because our school is so strict on it.

Honestly, I think everyone should be held accountable for these things. Not just cheerleaders.

Although, at the High School I'm going to go to, girls have been kicked off the team for partying.

all star gym- any postings that talk bad about coaches, team, or yourself = probation or removal from the program
high school cheer- not on school property = not their problem
(Ohio Area)

Even when I cheered in college, we were told that we were not allowed to go out in our uniforms, jackets, or anything that said we were a cheerleader. If we posted pictures of us at parties or bars in our uniforms, we were busted... even more if we were holding a drink or anything. This stood even for the girls that were 21+. We were ambassadors for our school and our behavior was held to a high standard.

My current college team has the same policy. And in high school, our coach was our friend on facebook so she could see what we posted. However, we had a small team that didn't really get into that stuff so there was never really a problem.

I have rules about social media sites in the cheer constitution and they must agree and sign. If I see something inappropriate on their sites I remind them of the constitution and ask them to remove it. Every year at least one of them will post something inappropriate. I get the girls after other sports practice too and I dont allow them to be half dressed, where as the other coaches do. It causes me some conflict for a while but eventually they stop trying to pull it off. I dont care to see their bras and tight spandex shorts and get really aggravated that the other coaches allow it. We had an issue where some the girls were caught on an out of town school trip jogging outside the hotel in their sports bras and skin tight shorts and then the school game unglued. We if ya let them do it at school work outs/practices, why do you think they believe they can do it everywhere else.

All coaches need to have strict social media rules. And if you have them- ENFORCE them. I don't think its as much as teams not having the rules as it is coaches not enforcing them/only enforcing them on certain girls. We had a problem with 2 of our captains and a couple of other girls on the team posting partying pictures and our coach just said "delete them and it never happened."
I had some Twitter drama over the summer and it wasn't even bad. I believe there were 2 tweets back and forth from me and 1 other girl and she is the one who started it. The tweets from me were asking to stop and if she needed to talk about it she could text me. I got threatened by my coach to be removed from the team if anything like that happened again. I mean... The coach doesn't like me. But I definitely feel singled out by her lile that all of the time.
If you're going to have rules as a coach-enforce them on everyone the same or don't even have them at all.
Also at practices and games I have to constantly remind girls about things they post/do in public. There are little youth football cheerleaders that are at all of the games and when they see you making out with your boyfriend with his hand up your skirt at a game, that's classless and embarassing to our entire program. Our major problem with the rules was switching coaches in the middle of last season. Our coach followed us on Twitter and instagram, and Facebook. If we deleted her or didn't allow her to follow us we were not allowed to cheer until we let her again. Strict, but worth it because we didn't look trashy.

All coaches need to have strict social media rules. And if you have them- ENFORCE them. I don't think its as much as teams not having the rules as it is coaches not enforcing them/only enforcing them on certain girls. We had a problem with 2 of our captains and a couple of other girls on the team posting partying pictures and our coach just said "delete them and it never happened."
I had some Twitter drama over the summer and it wasn't even bad. I believe there were 2 tweets back and forth from me and 1 other girl and she is the one who started it. The tweets from me were asking to stop and if she needed to talk about it she could text me. I got threatened by my coach to be removed from the team if anything like that happened again. I mean... The coach doesn't like me. But I definitely feel singled out by her lile that all of the time.
If you're going to have rules as a coach-enforce them on everyone the same or don't even have them at all.
Also at practices and games I have to constantly remind girls about things they post/do in public. There are little youth football cheerleaders that are at all of the games and when they see you making out with your boyfriend with his hand up your skirt at a game, that's classless and embarassing to our entire program. Our major problem with the rules was switching coaches in the middle of last season. Our coach followed us on Twitter and instagram, and Facebook. If we deleted her or didn't allow her to follow us we were not allowed to cheer until we let her again. Strict, but worth it because we didn't look trashy.

it's basically like you just described how I feel exactly. A good majority of my team does not take Cheer seriously, and a lot of the stuff they post can potentially get them in trouble. BTW: We're freshman, and when there's girls posting pictures of them with their alcohol or vandalizing stop signs around our town you're obviously not thinking about what could happen to you with Cheer, (not to mention youre breaking the law) idk, I find it unfair for girls who don't care about cheer and post things like this to be on a team with girls like myself, and other girls on my team who do genuinely care about Cheerleading and how we present ourselves. I think your coach adding you guys or monitoring your social networking sites is a good thing, a little over the top but definitely understand it.

it's basically like you just described how I feel exactly. A good majority of my team does not take Cheer seriously, and a lot of the stuff they post can potentially get them in trouble. BTW: We're freshman, and when there's girls posting pictures of them with their alcohol or vandalizing stop signs around our town you're obviously not thinking about what could happen to you with Cheer, (not to mention youre breaking the law) idk, I find it unfair for girls who don't care about cheer and post things like this to be on a team with girls like myself, and other girls on my team who do genuinely care about Cheerleading and how we present ourselves. I think your coach adding you guys or monitoring your social networking sites is a good thing, a little over the top but definitely understand it.
It was our old coach that followed us on everything. not our new one. our new one could care less about anything social media unless it's posted by one of the girls she doesn't like. she also wont do anything about bullying within the team, because she doesn't care.

It was our old coach that followed us on everything. not our new one. our new one could care less about anything social media unless it's posted by one of the girls she doesn't like. she also wont do anything about bullying within the team, because she doesn't care.

For our fall season that's how our coach was, didn't care about what we said or did. Then for Winter the Varsity coach moved down to coach us (long story) she was very organized, strict, and cared about how we presented ourselves. but her mom passed away so she took a leave of absence. Now we just have conjoined practice with JV and basically the Varsity & JV coach take turns supervising our practices and games. But i understand. I'm basically in the same situation:(

Sorry I skimmed through that quick, didn't see the part about bullying. Are you on a Varsity team? If not.. i would talk to the head coach but assuming you are on Varsity I would take it up with the Activity Director at your school if it's getting too out of hand. We have had to do that a few times with the older squad this past season

When my daughter was 4, she thought the high school cheerleaders were Gods!! She really looked up to them and wanted to become on someday. When she was old enough to get a Facebook, she tried to friend as many as she could (yes I monitored!!).

When she became a 7th grade cheerleader, I reminded her how she looked up to cheerleaders when she was young. I told her she was now someone little girls would look up to and be like. I was (and still am) very strick with what she puts on any social media.

This year, her freshman year, she became a varsity cheerleader. I assumed that the high school would have similar social media policies as I do. This is a very small town so even if the kids don't have social media, they will know most of the HS cheerleaders and athletes.

Well guess NOT!! I was shocked as other cheerleaders posted Instagram pics of them drinking, used foul and vulgar language on twitter, and so on!!

I had a talk with the sponser, stating NICELY that these girls were role models and it really didn't look good. She seemed to agree with me (this was her first year), but appearently told a couple of the girls what I said. Really started my daughters freshman year.

When I later confronted the principal about everything she told me "we can't control what kids post when they are out of school."

ARE YOU SERIOUS??? I know all star gyms that have strict rules about posting on social media. I've heard of all star coaches that 'police' all social media and you can't control a high school with less than 400 students!!!

Am I that dumb to believe this can be done?? Does your school have social media rules?? Do they enforce them??

Sorry I'm ranting!!

I've been in a similar situation. Two years ago my high school cheerleading coach who was only 18 at the time posted pictures of her drinking, smoking, and doing inappropiate conduct. I was captain and had heard rumors from the other girls about this. I checked them out and they turned out to be true (not to my suprise) and sent an anoymous email to the principal, varsity coach, and head coach. She never got fired but she got in A LOT of trouble. She was a terrible coach by always showing up to practice late, making level 1 routines, bringing her boyfriend to practice (they would always make out in front of us........ew), and never conditioning us. I was only 13 at the time but I took hold of the situation and did my very best to control the team so they wouldn't do things like that. I had to also remind myself that I was their friend not the coach. Things like these situations are gonna happen. You need to the best you can and leave it to karma. Those varisty cheerleaders are gonna have terrible lives and probably only do cheer for "popularity" through out highschool and end up not graduating community college. Also, your child knows whats best for her. She knows whats bad and you can't baby her. Still keep an eye on her but she needs to learn her own life lessons.

Not only am I friends with both my coaches, but they're smart enough to have filters so that we can only see certain things they post. I feel like if you're going to be friends with cheerleaders on facebook, you don't need to be posting pics of you out drinking (even though it's legal) we don't want to see that... it's not the best role model, not to mention we can't unfriend you so it's going to pop up on our news feed (unless we hide you from our feed). So putting a filter so that we can't see everything about your personal life I feel is the way to go.....

At my school us cheerleaders have to be very careful about what we post anywhere. We represent our school, and we should try to give it the best possible image that we can. If our coaches find out about us posting anything inappropriate, we can get into trouble. However, I don't understand why cheerleaders feel the need to post inappropriate things anyway. I love the fact that little girls look up to me, it gives me a great feeling! I would never want disappoint them, or be a bad roll model in any way!

Twitter has become the outlet here. I am completely appaled by the bullying and pure low-class tweets I am seeing. I am planning on going to the school board before the beginning of next year. If anyone can send me a copy of their schools rules on this, I would greatly appreciate it. I am trying to proove to the school board that it can be done!!

for us, pretty much our entire jv team but like 2 of the girls have known our coach our entire life, she coached all but 2 of us in middle school and the fact one of the girls on the team is her little sister. So we are all really close with our coach and are friends with her. I know at least for me i tell her everything.
Most of our team texts her regularly, about even non-cheer things. shes like our big sister, our varsity team is the same at least for many of the seniors. My coach is friends with everyone that has a facebook, follows like all of us on twitter, and instagram. The varsity coach does not friend any of us, and does not have twitter nor instagram
We do not have an issue with girls posting their partying. Yes many of us know of what things the others do illegal or not, but we don't speak of it and no one post it.
Our school, is quite lazy in making sure nothing happens bad on social media, but we do have roughly 2,500 students. And no one cares about our swearing on anything really unless its REALLY bad, if you catch what im throwing. But we are a "hick" (redneck, cowboy, country boy/girl, whatever you wanna call it) area. And trust me, they say bad things...
As far as i know, we don't have a single issue with illegal things being on social media

Back