Should We Find Another Sport?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

cccheermom

Cheer Parent
Jul 20, 2012
I've had my daughter in all star cheer since she was 3 1/2. I thought it would be a great way to gain coordination and balance and have some fun. We've loved it ever since. However, my daughter is definitely not a natural. She has to work VERY hard to learn her skills. She has a solid bhs and is hit & miss on her tuck but is close. We've been with the same small gym and she has been placed on a level 1 team AGAIN!! Should we cut our losses and find another sport? It would be hard bc she loves it so much but I just can't see being on a level 1 another year.

I know this isn't coming from a parent, but I know in a lot of different sports I have done, I've been that way. Just have her think long and hard before making a decision. I just quit dance after 13 years, so have her be sure about her decision. Good luck!

If you are unhappy about team placings and your gym isn't offering another option try looking for another gym? *if* she still loves the sport

No other options for another gym. :( We already drive 20 minutes to get to our small gym. She does still love it (I've tried to convince her to try something else and she won't).

To me it seems like you are the one upset with her being level one? If I am wrong and she is feeling upset about it, forgive me. But if she is enjoying it and can help out her friends even if she has higher skills then let the girl have fun. You don't want to give her the wrong impression that being to good at something means you should just move on to something else. It could also be that the small gym doesn't have a level two team that she can be on or that they feel is age appropriate. I know that it is one of my firm beliefs that placing kids to high out of there age level is a terrible mistake. Brains function and change so much in the early years, the difference from a 5yr old to an 11yr old is huge! On a different note 20minutes is almost a blessing compared to the drive some parents make to get there kids to gyms that will push them, this world is full of "mom & pop cheerleading shops" but only a hand full of elite gyms. I guess my over all advice would be to let her chose and if she loves and excels past the gyms potential then I would look in to what is best for her and her future as a cheerleader, don't try to make up her mid for her she is probably a smart girl with a bright future! Good luck and God bless

I've had my daughter in all star cheer since she was 3 1/2. I thought it would be a great way to gain coordination and balance and have some fun. We've loved it ever since. However, my daughter is definitely not a natural. She has to work VERY hard to learn her skills. She has a solid bhs and is hit & miss on her tuck but is close. We've been with the same small gym and she has been placed on a level 1 team AGAIN!! Should we cut our losses and find another sport? It would be hard bc she loves it so much but I just can't see being on a level 1 another year.
If she still loves it - and from your other post you said she does - then I would not pull her from it. I'm not sure what age groups/levels your gym has, or how old your daughter is now, but if she has a solid bhs, is working on her tuck and is only on a Level 1 team again, I would be looking at why. Is the level 2 team a junior or senior team and your daughter is too young for it? Does your daughter need to significantly progress in her basing/flying/jumps to move to Level 2? There may be more things coming into play than just her tumbling ability, and maybe once you look at the whole picture, you might want to sit down with the coach and ask what skills she needs to be considered for a Level 2.

How old is she? If you started her our when she as 3.5 and we are she is only 7 or 8 and already working on tucks that is great progress. People always go right to the coach/owner and blame them for team placement but you have to remember that the reason she may be on the Level 1 is not because of her skill but her age and maturity. I am unaware of the circumstances but lets say your gym only had a Senior 3, Junior 2, and Youth and Tiny 1. If your daughter is still young she is probably not ready physically and mentally to be up with the big girls quite yet and there are no other girls her age at her skill level. There are so many aspects that go into making up a team besides just skill. You can't have 18 year olds around really young girls for many reasons! If she really loves it, I would keep her in it and have her keep pushing her self to show the owner/coach that she is ready for the upper level teams.

I know I am not the best cheerleader out there, but I still love the sport!! You should keep her in the sport, I know that it gets annoying being on a low team when you think that you should be on a higher team, but as long as your daughter loves cheering keep her there! I quit cheering for three years and I cannot tell you how much I missed the sport once I got back to cheering I was so happy and you don't realize the impact that it makes on your life until its gone!!!

I've had my daughter in all star cheer since she was 3 1/2. I thought it would be a great way to gain coordination and balance and have some fun. We've loved it ever since. However, my daughter is definitely not a natural. She has to work VERY hard to learn her skills. She has a solid bhs and is hit & miss on her tuck but is close. We've been with the same small gym and she has been placed on a level 1 team AGAIN!! Should we cut our losses and find another sport? It would be hard bc she loves it so much but I just can't see being on a level 1 another year.[/quote]

For some reason in this industry, people feel this need to progress, to move up a level each season. It's silly. Some people, like myself, are not naturals at this. We have to maybe put in a little more work than others, stretch or condition a little harder to get what we want. But it doesn't matter because we love this sport so much that we're willing to do whatever it takes. I started cheering on a level 2 team. I then moved to two years on 4.2, a year on S3 without a tuck, and now my gym has gone back to a 4.2. I could not be happier. I've cheered for 5 years and came close to a tuck but never got it. But it doesn't matter to me because this is what I love to do.

To me this sounds a lot more like you being unhappy than your daughter being unhappy. Notice the words I bolded. I just can't see being on level 1 yet another year This is going to be harsh, but you're not the one on the level 1, your daughter is. And if she loves cheering this much, then she doesn't care. It sounds to me like you care, and you shouldn't. Your kid is probably having the time of her life on level 1 with her friends and pulling her because you're unhappy with her progress would upset her. Maybe there is more to this story and your daughter is upset about making level 1 again, but if she's happy, don't pull her because you aren't

i think if it bothers you that much, you should talk to a coach. if shes fine with being on a level 1 team, i wouldnt get mad over it. sometimes if the coaches dont think the athletes are mature enough or capable of stunting for the next level up, they will keep them on the same level for a while. remember, its not just tumbling, its stunting too :)

This is a tough situation. It can be any number of things causing the problem and it's hard for anyone to give feedback or advice because we don't know all of the facts surrounding the situation. With that being said, I'm sure there are more gyms in the area :)

Back