OT show your bows :D

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
For those of you that make bows, I have a business question.

I made competition bows for a small program the other week, and I'm having a lot of problems with them. We discussed the fabric and design, she approved it, and I sent her pictures of the bows after making a few samples. She approved them all, loved them, and I went ahead and made the rest of them. I delivered them the other week, and have been having problems with her being super unhappy.

Problem 1- The youth bows were a typical, single fabric design. I used hot glue, heat n bond AND a spray adhesive. I checked every single one the day I delivered them and they were perfect. She told me they're peeling apart. I have more of the extra fabric and bows that have made it through being shoved in my backpack, duffel bag pockets, etc., and aren't peeling apart. I even tried to peel it apart and it wouldn't separate. She's supposed to be sending me pictures of the bows separating, but I just don't see how they're falling apart already when I left them there in perfect condition less than a week ago, and my fabric and extra bows are still perfect.

Problem 2- The Senior bows were a lace with a white back. In the picture, and when we discussed the design, I said it would be backed on white, because it would blend and disappear on a black back. She loved the picture of the sample I sent her, and agreed on white backing for the same reason, along with the reason that their uniforms are predominately black and she wanted something to stick out. Now, she hates it, and doesn't like the white backing and wants new bows for this team.

Here's the kicker. I asked when her first competition was, and never got a response. I had the bows delivered three weeks before just because I wanted to make sure she had them. She messaged me Wednesday saying she wanted new ones. They compete in a week and a half. How do I handle this?

I made competition bows for a small program the other week, and I'm having a lot of problems with them. We discussed the fabric and design, she approved it, and I sent her pictures of the bows after making a few samples. She approved them all, loved them, and I went ahead and made the rest of them. I delivered them the other week, and have been having problems with her being super unhappy.

Problem 1- The youth bows were a typical, single fabric design. I used hot glue, heat n bond AND a spray adhesive. I checked every single one the day I delivered them and they were perfect. She told me they're peeling apart. I have more of the extra fabric and bows that have made it through being shoved in my backpack, duffel bag pockets, etc., and aren't peeling apart. I even tried to peel it apart and it wouldn't separate. She's supposed to be sending me pictures of the bows separating, but I just don't see how they're falling apart already when I left them there in perfect condition less than a week ago, and my fabric and extra bows are still perfect.

Problem 2- The Senior bows were a lace with a white back. In the picture, and when we discussed the design, I said it would be backed on white, because it would blend and disappear on a black back. She loved the picture of the sample I sent her, and agreed on white backing for the same reason, along with the reason that their uniforms are predominately black and she wanted something to stick out. Now, she hates it, and doesn't like the white backing and wants new bows for this team.

Here's the kicker. I asked when her first competition was, and never got a response. I had the bows delivered three weeks before just because I wanted to make sure she had them. She messaged me Wednesday saying she wanted new ones. They compete in a week and a half. How do I handle this?

I made bows for my high school team, with iron-ons of our school logo, and rhinestones on the edges. and the thing is, people play with their bows. I can only imagine how much fussing the youth team would do with bows if a varsity high school team ruined theirs in a matter of a few games. I would simply tell her that you will remake the bows but you won't make them for free, because it was not cheap to make bows originally for them and now she isn't happy and it is not your fault that they were splitting apart if the owner doesn't take care of them.
But thats just my opinion...

For the first issue, I would have her send you a picture or send the bows back to be looked at. If there really is an issue from the way the bows are made I would apologize and offer to remake the bows that are broken for free. My guess is that they are not putting them in right. More than likely they are pulling the bow through the ponytail holder over and over, ruining the bow. If in fact you can determine by looking at the bows that its not a construction issue in the way they were made then you should tell her those with torn bows can purchase new ones.

As for the lace bows - she picked and approved that bow, IMO that's her bow. She even saw a sample picture, its not like its a surprise what she was getting. If she's changed her mind and wants something different then she can buy a different bow. I would offer to work with her to make another bow that she would like better, and she can purchase those as well as the lace ones she currently has. I would also make sure she knows that the bows will only be done by the first comp if you can get the materials in in time and don't have other jobs that have to be finished first.

Wow! I'm not sure where to begin. You may have to just take this one as a lost. Unless there were somethings made clear from the beginning of your transaction. I know you said she saw the sample in a picture? If she did not get a physical sample, it could very well be that the picture is not a true representation of the actual bow. The reason I am saying this, is because I have a website and I do my own pictures and they are horrible, no matter how I try, I can get the colors to look as they actually are....so that could be the misunderstanding with the lace bows......lesson learned....always send an actual/physical sample to the client. You can either charge for the sample and discount it from the entire order when placed. If this was done, then you do not owe her anything. If she wants different bows, then she has to buy them. However, it would be nice to give her a deal, even if you only charge for the cost, its better to swallow the labor and not end up with a bad rep.....it only takes one bad experience to spread and be overblown.
It is unfortunate that you do have some people out there that will take advantage of you. It may very well be that she really liked the bows and decided get them on her own, but when other parents/coaches saw them, they did not like them.....who knows.
Be fair to yourself, and try your best to work it out.
I know I said a lot; i do hope some of it is helpful. Good Luck!

Quick question, do you vend at competitions? This is how I find most of my clients, and they refer other coaches. If dealing with someone I have not met/done work for, A physical sample is key!

Tosh Sophie AScheer thanks for some insights.

Tosh - I haven't been a vendor at any competitions--I really just started actually selling my bows over the summer. I just made them for fun before that. I'm probably going to be setting some up at some competitions this season, I just have to figure out my schedule, because being a college senior, my life is beyond hectic, and I hardly know what I'm doing tomorrow, let alone 3 months from now haha. But I DO know this coach...very well, actually...

my biggest problem with the whole situation right now, is that this is my former gym, where I started gymnastics and cheerleading (I was a part of their programs for about 10 years), and I really feel like she's taking advantage of me. Not only did I give her a SUPER good deal ($10 a bow), but I also gave her a free extra bow of each design just in case a hair tie broke, one got lost, they had a roster change too close to competition to order a new one, whatever. And now she's just expecting me to bust my butt to make her new ones because she changed her mind (AND have them done in a week). The thing that really makes me lean towards that, is when she messaged me to say she didn't like it, she already had two other fabrics she wanted bows made of. But they're 2" ribbon instead of actual like fabric, so now she doesn't want that either. And I don't know if she's just assuming that she's going to give me these back or not yet, because it hasn't been addressed, but I will be getting them back if I'm making her new ones. I have too many people that like these and offered to pay for them outside of that gym to let them sit as a charity bag of bows.

As far as the picture of the sample, that's all she asked for because SHE picked the fabric and backing material. And because I have such a long standing relationship with them, and she's still a part of my life even though she isn't my coach any more, I trusted that she would be okay with it.

These are the ones she decided she didn't like. Which blows my mind. I LOVE them.
124yas7.jpg

Tosh Sophie AScheer thanks for some insights.

Tosh - I haven't been a vendor at any competitions--I really just started actually selling my bows over the summer. I just made them for fun before that. I'm probably going to be setting some up at some competitions this season, I just have to figure out my schedule, because being a college senior, my life is beyond hectic, and I hardly know what I'm doing tomorrow, let alone 3 months from now haha. But I DO know this coach...very well, actually...

my biggest problem with the whole situation right now, is that this is my former gym, where I started gymnastics and cheerleading (I was a part of their programs for about 10 years), and I really feel like she's taking advantage of me. Not only did I give her a SUPER good deal ($10 a bow), but I also gave her a free extra bow of each design just in case a hair tie broke, one got lost, they had a roster change too close to competition to order a new one, whatever. And now she's just expecting me to bust my butt to make her new ones because she changed her mind (AND have them done in a week). The thing that really makes me lean towards that, is when she messaged me to say she didn't like it, she already had two other fabrics she wanted bows made of. But they're 2" ribbon instead of actual like fabric, so now she doesn't want that either. And I don't know if she's just assuming that she's going to give me these back or not yet, because it hasn't been addressed, but I will be getting them back if I'm making her new ones. I have too many people that like these and offered to pay for them outside of that gym to let them sit as a charity bag of bows.

As far as the picture of the sample, that's all she asked for because SHE picked the fabric and backing material. And because I have such a long standing relationship with them, and she's still a part of my life even though she isn't my coach any more, I trusted that she would be okay with it.

These are the ones she decided she didn't like. Which blows my mind. I LOVE them.
124yas7.jpg
These look nice. I will have to agree with you; knowing her for sooooo long, it appears that she is taking advantage of you. Maybe she still sees you as a little girl that she coached and not a serious adult that is trying to build a business. You need to stand your ground and hopefully change her perception of you.
Keep me posted. I hope it works out well.

I have been making bows for a year and a half now and have been selling them for a little over a year to actually pretty many people/teams and everyone has always loved them and I've never had one complaint. I guess I'm just extremely lucky haha :) But hope things go well for you... I know how much I hate when someone doesn't like something I've put a lot of time and effort into.

What length do you guys cut your ribbon/fabric too? Now that I know how to actually make bows I'm trying to make them look more uniform & just all around better. Any tips are appriciated! :)

Sorry for the double post! But I just remembered I was going to ask another question. Does anyone have any tips on starting to sell your bows?

What length do you guys cut your ribbon/fabric too? Now that I know how to actually make bows I'm trying to make them look more uniform & just all around better. Any tips are appriciated! :)
I usually make mine between 22 and 26 inches, its really short, but i like mine for the loops to look better so i have to make it smaller. I go up to 30 inches

Back