OT show your bows :D

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
I've been working bows all day
24vtpg4.jpg

1jvrjm.jpg

After texting another coach last night, I will explain why I will never buy bows from a random person instead of a big company again (this is NOT directed to you, but if you want to sell bows I think it's super important to read and decide if it's worth it). This is my advice for everyone considering selling bows!

Last year I purchased bows from a girl on here that had a cute little facebook page full of bows. I needed simple, plain practice bows, I just didn't want to make them myself because I don't have time. I paid her and it took forever to get them. They were practice bows, and they came over a month later than the practice clothes we ordered, and I ordered them in plenty of time to get them. At one point, I was told a cat peed on the box and ruined them so she had to remake them, which is why they were late. BUT, don't worry, because she would make keychain bows for all the kids to make up for them being late. I never saw those, surprise surprise.

This year I ordered competition bows at $20/each from someone on the boards that I knew made really nice bows. I paid for them, heard nothing, FINALLY got ahold of someone, and blah blah blah. More excuses, telling me they shipped when they hadn't. Competition bows = a four month ordeal. But, once again, don't worry! Because for my hassle, she would send free practice bows in our colors... Again, I've never seen a thing.

The other coach at a totally different gym just went through the same thing... Ordering and then the person coming back and saying "well it was hard to do the same design so many times." The bows are falling apart on her.

I get that people want to make bows, but I think a lot of people before you have ruined it for you. If you want to sell something, you need to make sure you are ready to sell and you need to make sure you have time to do it. Don't accept team orders if you don't want to make them a priority. If you want to sell a few here and there, I would try selling to other cheerleaders you know on your team or in your gym first. They'll take whatever you have on hand, and pay right there. Getting into shipping is a nightmare, and when selling bows is not your number one job, it's easy to let people slip through the cracks. But to those people who have already paid, it's really annoying and poor customer service.

End rant. Sorry, I had to bring it up. It's been boiling my blood for the past year now!
As a bowmaker I totally agree with you. Bow making/selling team orders is NOT FOR RECREATIONAL BOWMAKERS!! Especially when you are dealing with a lot of money. Don't spend the profits before the bows are delivered!! Never take on orders you cannot handle. Make sure you can guarentee quality service. I always guarentee my bows 2 week delivery. When I ship large orders I always do delivry confirmation. And girls...if you can see hot glue dont send it!! Bows should all match and have ZERO flaws.

I put this picture of 4 bows on tumblr and the price is 21$ for all four. I woke up and I got soo many emails from people who want to purchase them. What a surpise. I was expecting about two or three people to buy it. I don't think I have enough fabric for so many. I am praying they still sell this fabric. Gonna be a busy week.

Hot fix stones with a heat press. You can use an iron also, but pressing (heat & timing) can be tricky with the iron.
My iron broke this week.. Just as I committed to making a bow for my squad of 30. I've hand placed 2000 hotfix rhinestones with an old hotfix single stone applicator. For those of you who want to hotfix stone by stone don't. Go buy a new iron if yours breaks! Took 10 hours to stone 30 bows, each with rhinestones spelling their stunt position. Then 1 to sew them and 30 min to glue the backing on.
Ill post pics of each of them when I melt the edges tomorrow.

My iron broke this week.. Just as I committed to making a bow for my squad of 30. I've hand placed 2000 hotfix rhinestones with an old hotfix single stone applicator. For those of you who want to hotfix stone by stone don't. Go buy a new iron if yours breaks! Took 10 hours to stone 30 bows, each with rhinestones spelling their stunt position. Then 1 to sew them and 30 min to glue the backing on.
Ill post pics of each of them when I melt the edges tomorrow.
Wow! way to go, I'm sure they'll love them. Not that is something I never did...3, maybe even 5, but 30! great job! can't wait to see the pics. I'm sure they are lovely :)

I can't find 3inch grosgrain ribbon for my life on ebay. Is there any special name for it?? It only find 3.8 ribbons but that is not what I am looking for. I have to find for making bows. Anyone could help me and find me one?
I always order from amazon.com. I just search 3" grosgrain ribbon. I recently got 50 yards or $25 with free amazon prime student shipping. I know they sell smaller amounts too but Idk if they ship overseas though.

So I have a question for all of you bow makers, in sealing the edges of my white bows some of them have small singe spots, how do you get rid of these? Yeah, I know it was stupid to do. I was in a hurry.

So I have a question for all of you bow makers, in sealing the edges of my white bows some of them have small singe spots, how do you get rid of these? Yeah, I know it was stupid to do. I was in a hurry.
The best thing to do is get a pair of hair cutting scissors and clip it. Regular scissors will cut too much. For the future you may want to invest in a wood burner..they only cost about $12-18.00......no singing...Hope this helps.

The best thing to do is get a pair of hair cutting scissors and clip it. Regular scissors will cut too much. For the future you may want to invest in a wood burner..they only cost about $12-18.00......no singing...Hope this helps.
Ok I got some of it off but there are bigger black spots on the back of the ribbon. Any other ideas?

Ok I got some of it off but there are bigger black spots on the back of the ribbon. Any other ideas?
I am at a loss. I have never experienced this. email me a picture so I can see what the issue is and where. You may have to cut down the entire edge and find a different way to seal your edges......Message or email me at [email protected] or call (609) 306-6161

Back