Skills Alone And In The Full Out Routine!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Dec 16, 2012
What are the best ways to practice skills and run throughs in order to make sure it will hit when going full out. I know just doing the skills outside of the routine, maybe running everything in one half and then the other and some full outs? Any suggestions that work for your teams skills?

whenever your coach lets you mark the routine, throw the skills you're having a hard time with. but only if you're warmed up! that helps a lot because you're still mentally thinking about the routine just slightly less tired than doing a full out

i guess if you're a coach, have athletes do sections of the routine full out. it's never going to be 100% easy to do a full out. at least, i don't know many teams that can walk off the floor not even slightly out of breath. for me, i love when we do sections full out cause i can really focus on technique while i'm breathing hard, but i'm not doing a full out so i'm building endurance.

other than that, if the skills are safe, then just keep throwing those full outs. honestly, it's the best thing to improve stamina

At the beginning of the season, coach would have us start slowly. We would start with an all tumbling routine, and when that looked clean, add in partner stunts. If those are hitting and tumbling still looked good, we'd add in baskets and jumps or something. Once that looked good, we'd add second stunt and pyramid, which then was a full out.

So when coach was like ok, go full out, we were like wait, all we have to do is add in pyramid. We can do this! The f-word (f-u-double hockey sticks!) didn't sound so scary at that point!

When I coach, I do the same thing that @ilikebigbows talked about. I typically go in this order over a few weeks:
1. Full out sections
2. Stunt thrus and tumble thrus
3. Full out routines

Closer to competition time, I do less full outs and instead focus on the mental conditioning. We'll do a quick warm up like at competition, pray "on deck," hang around while the "other teams perform," and then go full out. If it's good, we'll only do one more. If it's bad, we'll redo the sections they missed, break it down and focus on technique, and then try a full out again.

whenever your coach lets you mark the routine, throw the skills you're having a hard time with. but only if you're warmed up! that helps a lot because you're still mentally thinking about the routine just slightly less tired than doing a full out

i guess if you're a coach, have athletes do sections of the routine full out. it's never going to be 100% easy to do a full out. at least, i don't know many teams that can walk off the floor not even slightly out of breath. for me, i love when we do sections full out cause i can really focus on technique while i'm breathing hard, but i'm not doing a full out so i'm building endurance.

other than that, if the skills are safe, then just keep throwing those full outs. honestly, it's the best thing to improve stamina

To add with this, when my coaches would say "do the whole routine without tumbling" or "just the first half, no tumbling" I would always still do the tumbling because it helped me be more prepared when we had to keep running the routine full out.

I say just do it full out every time. Especially if it's a skill that you struggle in .

You often times perform how you practice. A prime example: if you've never been able to throw a full in practice, what makes you think you can do it at a comp suddenly?

Also, if you don't already, take privates. Many times coaches rush too quickly with tumbling skills not realizing that it takes some kids longer than others to comprehend things. No matter if they're the same age, or have the same amount of experience in cheer.

There is a young lady about 18 years old on YouTube who did gymnastics before cheer and have an extreme amount of tumbling experience but still can't do a full. And there are 16 year olds that's able to complete a full.

Back to the topic: I think taking privates will help you with your progression and maybe you won't fill so "rushed" if you think that's part of the problem.

I say just do it full out every time. Especially if it's a skill that you struggle in .

You often times perform how you practice. A prime example: if you've never been able to throw a full in practice, what makes you think you can do it at a comp suddenly?

Also, if you don't already, take privates. Many times coaches rush too quickly with tumbling skills not realizing that it takes some kids longer than others to comprehend things. No matter if they're the same age, or have the same amount of experience in cheer.

There is a young lady about 18 years old on YouTube who did gymnastics before cheer and have an extreme amount of tumbling experience but still can't do a full. And there are 16 year olds that's able to complete a full.

Back to the topic: I think taking privates will help you with your progression and maybe you won't fill so "rushed" if you think that's part of the problem.
Not full as in a tumbling skill, but full out as in the whole routine. Running a full routine constantly at practice is setting up kids for injury!

Not full as in a tumbling skill, but full out as in the whole routine. Running a full routine constantly at practice is setting up kids for injury!
I know that I was just using a full tumbling skill as an example of why you should do full out routines. :)

Suicide Circle......Stunt groups go through their sequence one at a time one after the next for 10 consecutive times. then the same thing with the next sequence. with doing it this way they get to work on their skills and become consistant. Then you can run through with only certain sections.....mark tumbling and stunting....do all jumps and dance so we can work on transitioning. then mark tumbling and jumps do elite stunts and prymid only, etc. That way they know the whole routine, can connect all the skills.

We warm up each section and then do stunting and tumbling full outs. Then we will go back and clean up transitions and fix minor problems in the routine. Then run full out routines. After they do a full out, the next routine they will do anything that fell/bobbled/busted. If they hit all their stuff, all they have to do is their jumps because they do jumps every time no matter what.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At the beginning of the season, coach would have us start slowly. We would start with an all tumbling routine, and when that looked clean, add in partner stunts. If those are hitting and tumbling still looked good, we'd add in baskets and jumps or something. Once that looked good, we'd add second stunt and pyramid, which then was a full out.

So when coach was like ok, go full out, we were like wait, all we have to do is add in pyramid. We can do this! The f-word (f-u-double hockey sticks!) didn't sound so scary at that point!
Legit thought you were swearing for a second

If you're wanting to prepare to hitting under pressure, think about simulating competition scenarios...tell the team they had a bad warm-up and now need to pull it together; next time tell them their rivals just hit a routine right before then; next time tell them there is a delay and they have to wait a couple minutes to go. Try to think about what they'll face at competition and add that into the training. That way, they build confidence to handle those types of situations and if it does happen, it's not a big deal because they know how to handle it.

At practice before a competition, my coaches word run the start of the practice like the competition..so we would get to practice and run/stretch like normal but then everything was according to the competition schedule. She gave us X-amount of minutes at the first "mat" to warm up tumbling, the x-amount that the "second mats" to warm up all the stunts. And then we we stepped off the mats and she would introduce a just like the competition and we would run the routine. After that we then would just work on fixing things that didn't hit or needed work and then run the routine a second time. And then Fix the routine and work on things and then run the routine a third and final time.

For some of the later night competitions, she would have us run the routine at the time we were supposed to be competing. So say that weekend we were competing at 8:35pm, well then right at 8:35pm we would run the routine. That way we knew we could hit late at night at that time...idk it just made us feel prepared.

Back