All-Star Smaller Bases. Bigger Flyers

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

one of our best flyers on my team last year was also probably the third tallest on the team but her flexibility and ability were just beautiful to watch. and i'm 5'4" and i backspotted last year and my bases were maybe 5'2" at the tallest and our flyer was the same height and our group was front row close to the center it really does all depend on the ability of the bases and the flyers.. it all has to do with ability and skill and confidence

I have held my own and flown with junior aged girls basing no problem, and I have based girls who are older, heavier, and taller than myself without a problem.

I have seen both positions in these types of stunts and if the group has good chemistry anything is possible.
smile.png

I am 5'o, 96 pounds and fly for highschool cheer but base for my senior allstar team. My main fly is 5'7 and weighs 115 pounds. I completely agree that tall, slender flyers look much better in the air, but I also think that it looks somehow disproportional when the base is a good amount shorter than the flyer. Im a little torn on this subject, but I think someone on page 1 said it best... May the best flyer win.

I'm 5'2 which is no way tall, but I've based and flown. I fly right now on my university level 6 team and one set of my bases are right around the same height as me, if not shorter, but they are some of the strongest girls I know. One of the girls has even been offered a spot as a flyer but chooses to base, she simply doesn't like being in the air. So if some taller girls want to fly and have the ability and some of the shorter girls want to base and have the ability they should definitely have the option!

I coach some younger teams, and i always like to look at the girl's mom to see if she is going to be smaller when she grows up when deciding who we are going to spend time teaching flying to haha. But at the end of the day, if she grows up and is 6 feet tall and can still hold her own, then so be it.

Some really great fliers in all star are tall: Courtney Goodlow, Heather Tabb, Maddie Gardner, etc. Like everyone else has said, it's more about skill than size

I love taller flyers! My flyer is tall and all legs. She has a good 4-5 inches on both her bases, and is almost as tall as the backspot. We started off not being able to lift her due to her height, but we stuck together and worked it out. Her long legs look wonderfull when she pulls bows and scorps.

I’m 5 feet tall, all of my flyers are taller than me! But I really don’t mind because I am strong because of power tumbling. I’m not a very graceful person and not flexible at all, therefor I would look really dumb in the air. lol I don’t mind having flyers bigger than me, as long as they can hold their weight.

I see what you mean. The point flyer on my team is taller then her two bases and almost as tall as her back, then on the flip side we have a girl that I fly on my team who is a midget (like there is girls on our jr.2 who are taller then her, my team is a sr.5, and her own sister who is like 3 years younger is taller then her), and her shoulders barely went passed our backspot's hip. Then another flyer on my team she is really tall and really skinny, and based all last year, we put her in a stunt one time just for fun, and she was really good at it! So if the flyer can do the stunt well, she should do it no matter her height or weight...

I'd prefer tall flyers who looked good when she's in the air and have good flexibility. Nothing against small flyers, I just like to see tall identical flyers on a team. It depends on the coaches' discretion though on who to put as a flyer and who's to base that flyer

Back