All-Star Snow & Ice In South= Fml!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Brenner your "bracelet" idea while on breaks is a great idea, I know you said it in a different thread but I feel it applies to this one as well.

RockstarCheer I feel your pain! This snow has been fun for the kids but stressful for the coaches!! We are trying to finish out our last week of practices and ensure we are hitting before heading to Spirit of Hope this weekend but the snow has kept us closed for the second day in a row.

On a side note we are excited to see Rockstar and all the other programs attending this weekend!!!

I don't know about the rest of the southern gyms, but getting Snow & Ice here in South Carolina has been the death of me! I have one practice left with my Senior 5 team the Beatles before this weekend's Worlds Bid event, and I just got a call that our last girl pass, main flyer in pyramid broke her tail bone sleigh riding! We never have snow here but when we do have snow, it seems like everyone goes crazy here. They don't know how to act in it, lol. So my question is, should I try to make some sort of policy for my Worlds Level 5 teams that says they can't go out and play, or ski the week of a competition, or should I just say nothing and whatever happens, happens? I'm curious as to what other gyms do down here when the rare snow storm hits. It just seems as if I'm cursed and it always happens to our Level 5 kids!

Well regarless or your area or what you are used to or not---kids will be kids!!!! When they encounter something that is out of the ordinary, they will be curious! I don't think that's a bad thing at all. It all falls into to living up to the experience!

One year we asked the kids not to sled because a few had gotten hurt and one kid decided to "sled" in her sleeping bag down the (inside) steps. She broke her thumb : (
...I'm sorry, what!? How could that possibly have been a good idea?! I mean, I've seen people from the south use crazy things as sleds (like a laundry basket) but a sleeping bag?!

Its nice to know that other gyms are feeling our pain as well. Fayetteville is not prepared for snow since it happens like once every 5 years. Christmas break plus missing practice is not good.

...I'm sorry, what!? How could that possibly have been a good idea?! I mean, I've seen people from the south use crazy things as sleds (like a laundry basket) but a sleeping bag?!

Ha, when I was little we used to "sled" with a sleeping bag and on carpet stairs and with the sleekness of the bag works great. Not that I am advocating it but..ha.

I like the bracelet reminder idea to keep people on their toes while not at practice or a comp. Injuries suck for both the injured and the team, no one gains anything from it.

I live in a snow free bubble, its snows north of us, west of us and even south of us but never here

Brenner your "bracelet" idea while on breaks is a great idea, I know you said it in a different thread but I feel it applies to this one as well.

When I tie it on.. I make it a little tight so it annoys them.
I told them that when they see the bracelet to think it is me...standing right there.
I told them before they made a decission or did an "activity" they should look at me (on their wrist) and think "if Brenner was standing right here would I still make the same decission" and if they would then great..go have a good time and if they thought I wouldn't approve then maybe they shouldn't do it.

Ha, when I was little we used to "sled" with a sleeping bag and on carpet stairs and with the sleekness of the bag works great. Not that I am advocating it but..ha.

I like the bracelet reminder idea to keep people on their toes while not at practice or a comp. Injuries suck for both the injured and the team, no one gains anything from it.
Maybe it's my sleeping bag, it's not a super-slippery exterior. I just see the bag getting stuck and me tumbling down the stairs..full of ouchness.

I dont think there is any point in setting up rules. How bad it may sound, but there is ALWAYS people makin' a sport out of breaking rules for fun =/

We live up north and used to do that in the summer! We called it "summer sledding"....you take your sleeping bag, put it at the top of the carpeted steps, get in, and slide down!! So fun!

NORTH gyms too, in New Jersey we were hit hard with snow and we had to reschedule 3 practices, but we def. will not reschedule do to this snow, its nothing, the last storm was HUGE.

Back