All-Star So Now That The Season's Over, What Is The Big Deal With Changing Gyms?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

i think a lot of times, there is WAY too much emotion...But it's money, skills, safety, trust, life skills learned, integrity etc., that play a role in what gym you choose, not neccessarily in that order, but you get the point (please note i didn't say fairness!).

I think safety, trust and integrity should never be compromised by the parents or the gym, and the INSTANT that is, the other factors fly right out the door. We left our old gym going on 5 years ago, and it's the best decision we ever made. I really don't care if the old owners and coaches don't like us or not, because they compromised trust, safety and integrity...in fact compromised is nice word...shattered it more like it. Now when we see them at competitions it's them wanting to talk to us. uh uh, no way. If that make me petty, then color me petty.

It's a 1 year contract. Switching gyms happens every year so no one should ever be surprised or shocked when it happens. Don't let kids cheer for free (they will leave--u can count on that instead of counting your money) and don't bash anyone who leaves bc when you do it just confirms their decision. It's a business not a family and I know it feels like family but it's still a business first.
So true, we have been there!!

It's is a business. and if gym A helped little Susie go from a cartwheel to a double then she got what she "paid" for. It was part of the service that gym A provided during the 1 year contract. Could you imagine a gym not advancing their athletes because they were afraid they would leave the program.

So true, we have been there!!

It's is a business. and if gym A helped little Susie go from a cartwheel to a double then she got what she "paid" for. It was part of the service that gym A provided during the 1 year contract. Could you imagine a gym not advancing their athletes because they were afraid they would leave the program.

Oh yes I can imagine....

I get the businees side of it by those who say they bought those skills. I just dont think you can separate passion for teaching, coaching, training and working with kids to a $$$ amount. When it becomes just $$$ for a coach the parental complaint is they are not connected to the kids, parents and program. They want the skills but they also want the coach to connect with the child. That connection can not be bought.

My point was not in forcing them to stay at Gym A if they want to go to Gym B, but not trashing Gym A as no good as they went on to Gym B. Obviously they leanred the skills somewhere - bought or not.

I agree the conection can not be bought and it is such an importand part of the progress. My point goes the other way, gym A bashing the athlete for leaving. If the fit is no longer there for the athlete should they stay because gym A taught them the skills they have? I've heard coaches say just that "I've taught them all that they know how can they leave" then the bashing starts. This is where the business part comes in..it's a business and we choose where we spend our money.

That was our old gyms argument..."it's hard for coaches to lose kids they taught from the beginning"...and yet..those coaches relished when they got someone elses talent....then they trash talked ....that was just the peace of mind I needed to know leaving was the RIGHT thing to do!!!

The bashing is uneccesary from either side. If it is no longer a fit that is fine. Be upfront and mature about it on both sides and move on. Dont let others who have axes to grind drag you into their drama battles.

Sent from my M860 using Tapatalk

The bashing is uneccesary from either side. If it is no longer a fit that is fine. Be upfront and mature about it on both sides and move on. Dont let others who have axes to grind drag you into their drama battles.

Sent from my M860 using Tapatalk

agree!!!!

I feel for those on both sides of this but I think programs need to remember that there are so many reasons for a "loyal" customer to leave. Perhaps it is as simple as your practice schedule doesn't mesh with my schedule. Perhaps more complicated like my children are tired of how your children act like mini-coaches (and get away with it) at almost every practice. I think the decision to switch programs is very often a tough one to make. I think most people do totally appreciate that Program A took Miss Cartwheel to Miss Double. And you know... I think keeping it on good terms is so important because who knows what years to come will bring.

Sometimes it is no fault of anyones.....and child has a goal and the gym they are at is not at the level for the child to attain that goal...sometimes all the hard work and commitment won't pay off if you are in the wrong gym...nothing personal.....wanting to win is not a bad thing if it is with character and honor.

Back