All-Star Social Media & Underage Drinking/ Drug Use

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I do have a question, are there any repercussions for 21+ athletes drinking at worlds?

Depends on your gym. My gym allows of age drinking after your team is finished competing. And until recently, we only sent open teams, so everyone was an adult (though not over 21), so provided it was after competition and you weren't being a complete idiot, there were no problems. Now that we're also bringing 14+ aged teams, it's still allowed if you're of age (and finished competing), but the adults are asked to keep it toned down if the underager's are around. The gym doesn't want to set a bad example for the kids, but they also realize that it's harder to police adults. 99% of the people on the teams are good about that cos they're there to compete. Our problem athletes have long left the gym.

Other gyms have a no alcohol policy period, or none in gym clothing, etc. It all depends on your gym. I certainly sat out on our balcony on Block Party night having a couple of beers with my coach and teammates. No gym gear, competition was finished and we were responsible about it. Unfortunately, not everyone is capable of that.

We have to attend a prom meeting and students and parents need to sign the form agreeing to all the conditions before they will issue tickets. Even if your date was not from your high school they still had to attend the meeting with a parent. Some mom last year threw a hissy fit because her daughter's boyfriend was 21 and they had been dating for 3 years, but the school did not budge.
And this is where im 50/50 when it comes to schools trying to set certain rules, i get the issue with allowing people over 21 to prom. However kids are going to drink regardless of this rule, i had friends who's parents bought them alcohol for prom.
but i do think some schools over reach, all the news articles a read about ridiculous school dress codes, are a good example of over stepping boundaries.

this sounds a little ridiculous to me. Even as a student i would be pissed if i got lumped into the category of stupid kids all because i felt like chewing a piece of gum.
i dont mind schools taking drug and alcohol problems seriously if its something thats being held on campus, but what happens outside of campus shouldnt be the schools business.
the only time i noticed in high school that they were really strict on policies was Senior prom. My date almost wasnt allowed in because he was over 21 (i was 19, he was 23 years old at the time). Their reasoning was because he was to much a risk to underage prom goers, and that i shouldnt have brought him. I almost lost my crap on a bunch of teachers that night.

a few years later the school remodeled and now it looks like a dang jail, cause they want to prevent kids from leaving the property during school hours.

In my district someone who didnt attend the school could only attend prom if they were between the ages of 15-20. You have to fill out a form and if they are in high school their principal has to sign the form.

In my district someone who didnt attend the school could only attend prom if they were between the ages of 15-20. You have to fill out a form and if they are in high school their principal has to sign the form.
im so glad i graduated when i did. I also remember senior project and how our senior class was the last class that had very relaxed rules on what was and wasnt allowed. i volunteered at an animal shelter for a year and "tried" to raise money, but no one would give me any, lol. I was taking 3 AP classes and an honors class my senior year, i wasnt about dedicating all my down time on another school project that year at that point. ha.
now a days they dont accept volunteering as a senior project anymore, you have to physical do some form of grand project in order to graduate.
ive decided that senior project is the devil, there was a teacher that teached english at my high school that brought the idea of senior project back in 2004 from another state she teached in, and so the school started implementing one, now a days i think a lot of schools in florida require seniors to do one as well.

Last edited:
this sounds a little ridiculous to me. Even as a student i would be pissed if i got lumped into the category of stupid kids all because i felt like chewing a piece of gum.
i dont mind schools taking drug and alcohol problems seriously if its something thats being held on campus, but what happens outside of campus shouldnt be the schools business.
the only time i noticed in high school that they were really strict on policies was Senior prom. My date almost wasnt allowed in because he was over 21 (i was 19, he was 23 years old at the time). Their reasoning was because he was to much a risk to underage prom goers, and that i shouldnt have brought him. I almost lost my crap on a bunch of teachers that night.

a few years later the school remodeled and now it looks like a dang jail, cause they want to prevent kids from leaving the property during school hours.

My high school didn't even put lockers in because of Columbine and rising drug issue; seriously, the back aches from having to carry 10-20 lb backpacks to have everything was a nightmare! I also fall into the category who thinks that society sets up kids to fail---accuse someone enough of something they're not doing and watch their demeanor change. Most of us can probably relate to that feeling---teenagers are no different. There has to be a better middle ground that making someone blow anytime they chew gum.

And this is where im 50/50 when it comes to schools trying to set certain rules, i get the issue with allowing people over 21 to prom. However kids are going to drink regardless of this rule, i had friends who's parents bought them alcohol for prom.
but i do think some schools over reach, all the news articles a read about ridiculous school dress codes, are a good example of over stepping boundaries.
Agreed. But this is their policy and they stood by it. I think they feel they didn't want to ever deal with a prom date of legal drinking age either potentially supplying alcohol or being drunk himself.

I agree. But what do we define as free time? Is the night before a competition "free time"? Is the 15 minutes before practice starts
"free time"? If you don't go on until 6pm then is everything leading up to the time you take the mat or meet your team "free time"?
I get what you're saying, but free time IMO, is when you're not doing anything cheer, school, or work related.

No gym gear, competition was finished and we were responsible about it. Unfortunately, not everyone is capable of that.
And that's my thing, people don't understand that being in gym gear is the easiest way to repesent your gym. And being responsible is another thing, people get carried away, being drunk, underaged, acting like imbeciles and then wonder why they get in trouble.

from what i can remember all we had to do to bring someone that wasnt from the high school as our date was fill out a form the school gave out that had my parents signature on it.

granted this was all back in 2007, plus i went to a fairly small town high school that sat in the middle of nowhere florida.

We had to have a form signed by the principal at the date's school if they were not from our school vouching for them... which obviously excluded everyone who was no longer in high school. Everyone survived. I don't see a problem with the rule at all. Our principals also stood at the entrance and took the place of the limo driver personally helping everyone out of the limo, shaking their hand, saying hello, and looking in their eyes. If they suspected drugs or alcohol you better believe they were testing you.

My high school had a pretty heavy drug problem, but the administration tended to turn a blind eye because our academics were great and our athletics were even better. They knew what kids were doing and just tried to keep things off of campus. (We had drug dogs that came by.)

I still think that drug/alcohol testing should be considered, especially if an athlete/coach is suspected of being under the influence. When it comes to cheer, athletes and coaches are trusted with lives. Yes, other sports like football and basketball have a risk of injury but they are throwing balls not humans. Substances impact reflexes and other senses. Someone could get seriously injured due to someone's poor choices.

And yet there are those "cool" parents ;) who don't do a thing...in fact they even condone it. One year at a cheer comp a male teammate was in the room next door with his mom. The girls in our room (my daughter and two teammates all 12/13) clearly saw all the paraphernalia laid out on the dresser in the room. The Mom just smiled "kids will be kids". Sadly, my kids did not get a "cool" parent.
At 25 (in two weeks) I'm forever grateful I wasn't one of those "cool" kids and had parents who would have murdered her for that behavior. Comparing one group of popular kids to my circle of best friend, they are roughly 0/5 in completing college and I believe 4/5 for having kids where my group is 5/5 on our degrees, 1 on her way to her doctorate.

Back