Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jun 12, 2010
Stats:
12 year old girl
weighs 75 pounds
as thin as you can imagine

problem:"cant find balance, not stable in the air"

can this be coached, or is she, like how the coaches said in the meeting i went to last night, forever doomed to not be a good flyer?

I was the only one in the coaches meeting who thought it would be possible to see her fly and be a pretty flyer one day. this is my first year with the program and i question if they have done drills with her in the past and if their coaching techniques were good enough to help with what this girl needs. She wasnt in the stunt sequence till nationals, where she killed it for only flying for 2 weeks before in my opinion.

I certainly believe in her, but with it being 10 coaches to 1 thinking she can make it as a good flyer, i wanted to get input from the rest of the cheer community. Regardless, I will try everything i can to make her a beautiful flyer.

thats the worst is when there scared and cant find balance. i wouldnt say forever doomed but im not thinking she will fly in the upcoming years

Is SHE doomed? Maybe. It really depends on how much effort and work has been put into it on both sides as you've already considered. However you also must keep in mind, that their opinion could also be relative to other athletes. If she can't do it with equal training than yes, she can be considered "doomed" at making it as a flyer under the circumstances.

But yes, there are certain things no matter how well coached, one just cannot learn.

I'm sure that she would make a good flyer, she just needs more practice, and she needs to get comfortable in the air. I would have her practice with really experienced bases maybe older girls or some guys, it might make feel more safe while she is learning. I'm sure that if she gets comfortable flying, she will be a lot more stable. Also, make sure that she really wants to fly, if she doesn't then it will be impossible to teach her it, and she won't be very good. I think if she puts in the effort, she will be a great flyer!

I would have her take some ballet lessons and possibly take her to some open gyms at gymnastics gyms and have her get up on the beam and practice walking back and forth and just balancing on it. I believe that she can be trained to be a good flyer. It just will take a lot of practice. Good luck!!!

Does she want to fly? I have seen girls put up who don't want to fly. I think you need to want it.
yea she def wants to fly, shes at that awkward uncomfortable age where she might lack confidence to step up cause shes in close competition with other girls for the spot and she can be passive. i know i was like thta in high school till i found out what my potential was.

but i just want to know if its fact or fiction that some girls (of the more appropriate size) just cant fly, period. cause when i heard the coach say it last night, i was like...
1030909_o.gif

Stats:
12 year old girl
weighs 75 pounds
as thin as you can imagine

problem:"cant find balance, not stable in the air"

can this be coached, or is she, like how the coaches said in the meeting i went to last night, forever doomed to not be a good flyer?

I was the only one in the coaches meeting who thought it would be possible to see her fly and be a pretty flyer one day. this is my first year with the program and i question if they have done drills with her in the past and if their coaching techniques were good enough to help with what this girl needs. She wasnt in the stunt sequence till nationals, where she killed it for only flying for 2 weeks before in my opinion.

I certainly believe in her, but with it being 10 coaches to 1 thinking she can make it as a good flyer, i wanted to get input from the rest of the cheer community. Regardless, I will try everything i can to make her a beautiful flyer.
I am a big supporter of listening to the coaches, however, with that said, does your daughter want to fly as badly as you want her to? If so, I would continue stretch classes, purchase a block so she can work on balance, and condition daily to build ankle and core strength. Gyms usually have a long wait list for stunt classes, so they usually limit that time for their current team flyers and kids that can hold their positions on a beam for at least 5 seconds. Lastly, fear. It doesn't matter how long your child can hold a position on a beam or how beautiful her positions are if she is afraid. You may be able to save yourself a large sum of money by asking the coaches if her balance issues have to do with "strength" or "fear". Fear is a whole different beast and one that is tough to overcome, and you may be willing to take the risk, when your daughter is not. These coaches want winning teams and I truly believe they do a great job of finding the best place to highlight our kids strengths and ability level on their teams.

I am a big supporter of listening to the coaches, however, with that said, does your daughter want to fly as badly as you want her to? If so, I would continue stretch classes, purchase a block so she can work on balance, and condition daily to build ankle and core strength. Gyms usually have a long wait list for stunt classes, so they usually limit that time for their current team flyers and kids that can hold their positions on a beam for at least 5 seconds. Lastly, fear. It doesn't matter how long your child can hold a position on a beam or how beautiful her positions are if she is afraid. You may be able to save yourself a large sum of money by asking the coaches if her balance issues have to do with "strength" or "fear". Fear is a whole different beast and one that is tough to overcome, and you may be willing to take the risk, when your daughter is not. These coaches want winning teams and I truly believe they do a great job of finding the best place to highlight our kids strengths and ability level on their teams.
he is the coach not the parent lol

it's not my daughter nor my sister, although my sister is in the same boat. My sister flys on the "correct" foot, the girls in this program fly on the "wrong" foot, so i told my sister to stick with the correct foot because after this year her teams will be using the correct foot and all the others will be screwed.
The fear thing might be the issue with the girl i was originally talking about. Her old coach could of had a more encouraging tone of voice so that might have pressured her too much with all the yelling. ive seen hee fly before, i dont know why these other coaches are saying she doesnt have it in her to be consistent?

Back