All-Star Stacking Or Pushing

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

We've had one great season and one not so great one. Babydonna has been doing allstars for 2 years. Both of her teams were "push" teams. Luckily, this past season, the kids on her team got their skills earlier than they did the previous season. As much as I want to see her get new skills and develop, it was much more fun to be on a team that won a lot. In my opinion, it is safer for the kids to be placed on a team that is true to level. In other words, place kids who have at least a minimum skill set that is true to the level team they are on, then develop the specialty passes, etc during the summer, but don't place kids who don't have at least the minimum on that team. I think it leads to frustration, drama, and way too much pressure, and the kids could burn out easily in this situation. On the other hand, if the team is "pushing" and not winning, it would also be easy to burn out. I'm for a happy medium. The kids can grow a little, but still have the ability to hold their own on the team upon which they are placed.

Cp's team started season as a jr 3/4. Coach was not sure which direction they would go but they eventually decided that they would stay level 3 and max out skills, which is what they did and had a successful season. Are they ready to push to level 4 next season after having this one? I certainly think so, and hope the coaches feel that way too. And I'm pretty sure that next season most of the parents would like to see our kids pushed to compete with their higher skills.

With tryouts now here, do you prefer a gym that stacks the teams so that everyone on the team has the level skills and does them well? Or a gym that allows teammates that might be close to the level skills but not there yet and puts them on the team to push them. With the hope they get the skills during the season?
I really don't consider this "stacking." This is just correct placement. If you have a level two team, really every person should have a back handspring to merit making the team, or otherwise contribute something significant that merits them being there. That's not stacking, that's a level appropriate team. Stacking is putting level 3 kids on a level 1 team.

I prefer to coach a team and be like "alright kids push for those level 4 skills cause we're gonna hopefully go level 4, and then drop them down to level 3...and win...everything

I think it comes down to a variety of factors.

First off, a lot of people base leveling on tumbling alone. Your kid can have the best layout in the world but if they can't base a level four stunt or top at that level. That's just as dangerous. Yes I understand teaching stunting technique is "easier" than making tumbling happen but it's still going to come down to having strong and skilled athletes to perform skills, whether they have incredible tumbling or not.

By the same token, I do believe a team needs to have at least half the team throwing the tumbling skill when the team is made, leaving room for kids with other aspects of cheer talent to make the team and have them push for their tumbling skills.

People always complain about teams letting kids throw "scary" tumbling but lately I've seen even scarier stunting because unfortunately, I think it takes a back burner sometimes. Gyms believe if they tumble at one level than they'll be successful and that's not the case.

I think it depends on the individual athlete, and you should consider that when making the teams. My first year, I was put on a level 2 team with no bhs and I was new to cheer. But putting me in an environment where I'm one of the only few without tumbling pushed me, and I got my RO bhs before the first comp and my standing the day after our 2nd comp. So they were totally "pushing" me personally, but I need that to improve.
I don't think a team should be really stacked or pushed... I think individuals have different needs, some need to be on a level-appropriate team or they'll get discouraged, but some people need to be on a team that's a higher level to push them to improve. If you don't have any athletes close to level 4, but you have 15 that are solid level 4, then your level 4 would be "stacked" persay, with everyone having all the skills. But if you have 10 girls who are really close to a tuck and work well under pressure, and 10 with tucks already but who won't thrive on a level 4, you don't need to make two small teams, you can just put them all on one. It would be a push for some girls, but level-appropriate for others who are better in that environment.

This discussion is a big deal at our gym. Seemed to me that they did too much pushing last year and really paid for it. Our level 3 had too many without tucks who were placed based on "we have been here ----years" or "my friends are there" so there were not enough to split off a youth 1 and youth 2. Result was a level 3 team that was inconsistent and a large youth 2 that got eaten alive in a tough division because they just didn't have the skills. I am hoping they wise up and there is a youth 1 this year because that is where CP really belongs.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

first, I think tryouts are too soon after the regular season. I think you should be placed according to your current skills with some exceptions. If you have a new skill and throwing consistently on the tumbling track and attending tumbling classes a few times a week you're most likely going to get it and keep it before choreography. The other factor would be if you are great at your position and it's needed on a team that has 75-80% skill level. I think stacking is putting your best athletes on one team when you have 2 of the same level. One team is great and the other one not so much.

first, I think tryouts are too soon after the regular season. I think you should be placed according to your current skills with some exceptions. If you have a new skill and throwing consistently on the tumbling track and attending tumbling classes a few times a week you're most likely going to get it and keep it before choreography. The other factor would be if you are great at your position and it's needed on a team that has 75-80% skill level. I think stacking is putting your best athletes on one team when you have 2 of the same level. One team is great and the other one not so much.

I have to disagree about the tumble track. I was able to do a two to full on the tumble track for months pretty consistently before I could do it on the spring floor and it still isn't consistent. This is tumbling multiple times a week. It would depend on the athlete I guess

I think of pushing as chasing. If you are going to spend an entire season chasing the level, you will not be competitive. Better to drop down a level, have all of your athletes (or most) be skilled at that level, and create a stacked team.

100% agreed!

The ironic part is that the parents complaining about not winning are the same parents who want Suzie on a level 2 team because she got her BHS on the cheese mat yesterday.

I could shimmy this a thousand times.

Same goes for Suzy who "pretty much" has her heel stretch now and needs to be a flyer!!! . . . . but really its an "ankle stretch" . . . . with her standing knee bent.

Suzy's Mom: "But, you know, she reeeaalllllly really wants to"

OH REALLY?! WELL IN THAT CASE OF COURSE.

*facepalm*

I have to disagree about the tumble track. I was able to do a two to full on the tumble track for months pretty consistently before I could do it on the spring floor and it still isn't consistent. This is tumbling multiple times a week. It would depend on the athlete I guess
Yeah, I guess it wouldn't apply in every situation but some version of this.

After thinking about this for awhile, I think I prefer a team that's placed like they do in gymnastics. Compete the skills that you have, but practice the next level. I don't see this as stacking. I see it as a good placement. Stacking to me is competing down a level.

It is so simple but makes so much sense to think of it this way.

Back