High School Stains On Varsity Poly Uniforms

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jul 5, 2014
Such a rookie question but this hasn't happened in my 7 years of coaching.

I gave a cheerleader a new shell yesterday and saw so many stains from the previous, graduated cheerleader.

Mostly makeup/bronzer. I'm took it home to wash myself, but I was wondering what you have done to get tough, long-standing stains out of Varsity polyester unis. The stain is on the white portion of the shell and there is bronzer on the metallic silver braid surrounding the neck.
This has been packed away since last March. I always do a throughout checkup on my unis. No idea how I missed this!!

I only use the Varsity Spirit Fashions washing instructions with my girls. Have you put stain remover on anything? Really hoping the cheer moms in the community can help!

Asking for the graduate to pay for her shell isn't necessary at this point since it's only makeup and I can probably figure out a way to get it out.

On the white poly I have used a clorox bleach pen with good results. If it is a different material (motionflex or spandex) it may yellow. Zote works well on both whites and colors and any material. So does Irish Spring bar soap. Get a toothbrush and scrub the stains and let sit for a bit before washing. Good luck!

I use shout spray and wash on the white parts of our varsity poly uniforms. Works great!

Also try original Dawn dish washing liquid. Scrub with a toothbrush, launder immediately.

I haven't found anything zote can't get out. Wet the spot and soap it up really well.....soap it up like you would a washcloth in the shower. You could use a toothbrush or your fingernail to gently agitate the spots.

Edited to say I always use Tide original liquid laundry detergent. Though we use Gain on our everyday clothes, I find Tide does a better job on uniforms.

The stain came out and the uniform looks brand new. I was in a rush and grabbed LA's Totally Awesome Power Oxygen Base Cleaner and it worked instantly. I mixed the powder the way the instructions stated.. Scrubbed with a toothbrush, washed it according to Varsity's washing instructions. So happy.

Thanks for all the advice and suggestions!

Back