College Standing Full On Hard Floor

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Feb 4, 2012
College tryouts are on the horizon and I am hopefully going to be throwing my standing full, but I have never tried it on the hard floor. Is there a big difference from spring to hard floor? Other than it hurts more when you fall. Thanks :)

jump as high as you can. give yourself as much time as possible to end up back on your feet

And if he/she doesn't land back on their feet? Is this OK with AACCA rules for college? This skill should be spotted and mastered on a matted surface.

once mastered on the spring floor CP thinks easier to throw on a dead/flat floor since he can push off harder without the give of a spring floor, but not sure if he has ever done without a mat. Takes strong legs to make that jump.

And if he/she doesn't land back on their feet? Is this OK with AACCA rules for college? This skill should be spotted and mastered on a matted surface.
this was assuming they have mastered it on progression stages.. (pit, tramp, rod floor, spring floor - then moving to matted hard floor) and not just throwing it on a basketball court randomly

Yes I have been landing it on spring floor and was just wondering the differences between that and hard floor. Thanks for the help

Yes I have been landing it on spring floor and was just wondering the differences between that and hard floor. Thanks for the help
Doing a full on a hard surface unless you are an amazing stunt person highly trained is a catastrophic injury waiting to happen. A standing full has a safety standard of care established through USAG the only governing body involved with the skill set authorized by the USOC, who was appointed by Congress to select the governing body.

Cheerleading is an activity and an activity does not govern a sport skill set. The sport skill set governs the activity. That would be like the championship bowling team adding a standing back tuck before they bowl for good luck. After 40 years of the tradition they call the back tuck bowling now?

Doing a full on a hard surface unless you are an amazing stunt person highly trained is a catastrophic injury waiting to happen. A standing full has a safety standard of care established through USAG the only governing body involved with the skill set authorized by the USOC, who was appointed by Congress to select the governing body.

Cheerleading is an activity and an activity does not govern a sport skill set. The sport skill set governs the activity. That would be like the championship bowling team adding a standing back tuck before they bowl for good luck. After 40 years of the tradition they call the back tuck bowling now?

Walking in Times Square is a catastrophic injury waiting to happen. Does that mean you don't do it? I'd love to see this safety standard for a standing full by the USAG.

My CP was able to transfer from spring floor to hard floor (comp mats) with no problem and there has been no difference in take off or landing for her.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Walking in Times Square is a catastrophic injury waiting to happen. Does that mean you don't do it? I'd love to see this safety standard for a standing full by the USAG.

#1 Walking is not a cause of catastrophic injuries. Period. #2 No, you don't stop walking, you minimize the risks that come with walking. You don't walk down the middle of the road. You look both ways before you cross the street. You wait til your sign says "walk" before crossing.

Just like you don't do acrobatic and tumbling skills on surfaces that have a critical height lower than the height of the skills being performed.

"All exercises must be performed to music on a sprung gymnastics’ floor 12 x 12 meters that complies with the FIG Apparatus Norms." From USAG's Acrobatic Gymnastics Code of Points 2013 - 2016 Section V Article 15.2

My CP was able to transfer from spring floor to hard floor (comp mats) with no problem and there has been no difference in take off or landing for her.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

And for those confused, this discussion of Hard Floor is referring to Matted Non Spring Floor (College Forum = College Rules).. only a fool would throw a standing full on a hard surface

#1 Walking is not a cause of catastrophic injuries. Period. #2 No, you don't stop walking, you minimize the risks that come with walking. You don't walk down the middle of the road. You look both ways before you cross the street. You wait til your sign says "walk" before crossing.

Just like you don't do acrobatic and tumbling skills on surfaces that have a critical height lower than the height of the skills being performed.

"All exercises must be performed to music on a sprung gymnastics’ floor 12 x 12 meters that complies with the FIG Apparatus Norms." From USAG's Acrobatic Gymnastics Code of Points 2013 - 2016 Section V Article 15.2
So i guess men's gymnastics violates this? And that is not a standard for a standing full, that is a rule just like there are college rules and all-star rules that are followed. There is no difference. What do you think the height of a standing full is because I'm pretty sure the "critical height" is higher than that of a 4'10" girl not even getting that far off the ground.

First of all cheerleading is not gymnastics, it is not governed by USAG.

However, the National Collegiate Acrobatics and Tumbling Association is governed by USAG. They are one of two current emerging sports based of cheerleading. They perform all their stunts and tumbling on an unsprung matted floor also know as "hard floor" They perform many saltos, including full twisting ones. Additionally they perform acrobatic stunts, on hard floor.

We should probably explain what critical height is because it is something that most people on this forum are unfamiliar with, and therefore adds no value to your argument if people don't understand it.

From my understanding, critical height is the maximum height a person can fall from, in which a life threatening head injury would not occur.

According to a study found HERE the critical height for a standard dead mat is 4ft. I have not seen any standing tucks, or standing fulls, where the cheerleader jumps higher than 4 feet in the air. Therefore, they are not in fact flipping above the critical height of the mat. FURTHERMORE, every single stunt these cheerleaders are performing are about this "critical height" so obviously this height is not used in determining how high a person can be above the ground during a cheerleading routine.

College tryouts are on the horizon and I am hopefully going to be throwing my standing full, but I have never tried it on the hard floor. Is there a big difference from spring to hard floor? Other than it hurts more when you fall. Thanks :)

Not many people have actually responded to your question ;)

Progression is always important and I wouldn't attempt standing fulls on hard mat until you are consistently and easily landing them on the spring floor.

Once you are ready for hard floor, in my opinion, it really just depends on your full. If you have a true standing full (no steps) the transition should be quite easy. However, if you rely on fast steps it will be harder the make that transition. People who step often use more of the floor's spring, so the dead mat will have less to give you, making it harder.

Back