Standing Tuck

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

its all about conditioning your muscles and throwing it again and again but always remember to stare at yourself in the mirror during the tuck

With proper technique and conditioning drills it should only take a few months to progress from a good back hand spring series to a standing tuck.

It was fairly easy for me to get mine, though it's different for everyone, but honestly, I think it depends on your round off tuck. If you have perfect technique in that then your standing tuck will come naturally.

i got mine in 1 day at open tumbling i did a standing tuck on the tumble trak which my coach saw & said to go do on the floor (which i had never tried) but i asked for a spot & he asked one of the older guys to spot me who i guess thought i could do it too & what i thought was his hand there was his hand holding a POPSICLE STICK as my spot but i landed it & have had it since then! oh & i had pulled an all nighter the night before with my friends idk how i was even tumbling..

It took me no less than a month . Which is about 5 hours of tumbling class ? Mhm my coach just told me to pretend that theres a bell up in front of me , and i have to hit it with my toes . ( Of course this bell would be a bit high for me since im 5'9 ) But it didn't take much for me , even though I'm only a Level 3 tumbler ..

I'm a coach and I have a girl who has a beautiful standing tuck, great height and technique...but wont throw it unless I stand next to her (not touching her)! We only have a dead floor to train on but get to use a sprung floor once every 6 weeks so i was hoping it would give her the confidence to go for it, but still has the mental block that if I'm not next to her she can't stick it.
Any advice?

There is usually not a time on these kinds of skills. It just depends on how bad you want to get the skill. If some one is pushing you into getting and your not doing it for yourself it will take you forever to get it.

Took me four years....NBD. I got it when I was younger, but then quickly lost it. I worked on getting it back forever then actually kind of gave up and stopped working on them. (Since I'm on a level 3 team, I didn't technically need one yet) A month or two ago, we were having a strictly tumbling day at practice and I was scared, but I did it on a wedge. Determined, I just threw it on the floor and stuck it. Happiest moment of my life.

The best tip I've ever gotten was to focus on getting your hips over your head. I never thought about that before, just on pulling and it helped me a lot.

it took me a while because i learned the wrong technique and now thhe fact that i have the right technique mine is really good!

I am slowly progressing on this. My coach told me that I set fairly high but I tuck too slowly. I'm always landing on my knees if my spotter doesn't help with the rotation. :/
I'm really trying to tuck faster but then again, I'm also still really busy with remembering everything else I have to focus on.

Any advice on how to tuck faster and tighter? :(

Jule said:
I am slowly progressing on this. My coach told me that I set fairly high but I tuck too slowly. I'm always landing on my knees if my spotter doesn't help with the rotation. :/
I'm really trying to tuck faster but then again, I'm also still really busy with remembering everything else I have to focus on.

Any advice on how to tuck faster and tighter? :(

I make my girls drill backrolls over and over to work their hip over head rotation. It's an extremely helpful drill for them and I make them do it on all sorts of different stations too. On the cheese (up is even harder), on the floor, on panel mats stacked 5 ft high (start in hollow body), etc.
Conditioning the muscle memory is important.

I got my BHS and ROBHS in February and I got my ROBHS tuck by the end of may, but it has been inconsistent until now and I just landed my standing back on the cheese this week

I taught myself a standing tuck in my basement... on a gymnastics mat... it probably wasn't the best idea! It was pretty sloppy for awhile, but I definitely think that if you work hard, you can land it in one day. It might not be the best tuck, but you can surely land on your feet.

I tumble on mondays with my team... it took me a couple of practices to get this. I started throwing them off of the end of the tumble track onto the mats... After a while i started getting it... i wasn's setting right. But now i set up with my arms by my head and jump as hard as i can with my toes... My tumbling coach said she saw a foot height difference when i started jumping with toes... it helps ;)

Back