Standing Tumbling Problems!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Apr 9, 2011
So I havn't got a mental block with the standing tumbling; i've got the block with setting! My arms just won't swing back when I go to throw something. I can practice setting for half an hour and then I'll go to throw either a BHS or a tuck and my arms just won't move. Because of this obviously my standing BHS's are so slow and it's near enough impossible to do standing tucks. It's really frustrating because my running tumbling is fine and I know I have the power to standing tumble but I just can't set! Anybody heard of this or got any advice? Thanks!

So I havn't got a mental block with the standing tumbling; i've got the block with setting! My arms just won't swing back when I go to throw something. I can practice setting for half an hour and then I'll go to throw either a BHS or a tuck and my arms just won't move. Because of this obviously my standing BHS's are so slow and it's near enough impossible to do standing tucks. It's really frustrating because my running tumbling is fine and I know I have the power to standing tumble but I just can't set! Anybody heard of this or got any advice? Thanks!

I don't know what you do exactly to practice setting, but you need to develop the muscle memory which means that your arms go right back as soon as you get yourself off-balance for the BHS. When you're practicing make sure you really open up your shoulders and get your arms as far back as they go (within reason!).

I would guess that you're fine when you're practicing, but when it comes to throwing the skill you concentrate on actually getting over so try to rush into it. When I was doing standing tucks pretty much the only thing I would think about was the set- if you practice the drills enough then once you start you don't really need to think about what your body's doing- it just happens.

See if you can talk to your coach to get any drills you can do at home, especially if you only practice once a week.

Back