All-Star Stay And Play - Your Thoughts

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Oct 23, 2013
So...what is everyone thinking about these stay & play events?

I have to say I am not a fan. Cheer is expensive enough. The least the event producers could do is let gyms choose their own accomodations. Secondly, the hotels they have aligned with don't have the greatest ratings. Who doesn't want to stay somewhere nicer for less money?

I hope our gym chooses to avoid these events.

Sent from my HTCONE using Fierce Board mobile app

So...what is everyone thinking about these stay & play events?

I have to say I am not a fan. Cheer is expensive enough. The least the event producers could do is let gyms choose their own accomodations. Secondly, the hotels they have aligned with don't have the greatest ratings. Who doesn't want to stay somewhere nicer for less money?

I hope our gym chooses to avoid these events.

We've received some complaints from our parents regarding this as well! It's like if your going to force programs and parents into something like this at least make it look a little more appealing, especially to the wallet!

We've received some complaints from our parents regarding this as well! It's like if your going to force programs and parents into something like this at least make it look a little more appealing, especially to the wallet!
Exactly. Nothing like paying 125+ for a room at a two star hotel that may or may not include an indoor pool to keep my non CP kids entertained and may or may not include breakfast. And if it does there's only going to be 1000 other people trying to use the amenities.

My CPs old gym decided not to go to Supernationals for this very reason. They missed out on 13 teams competing from her old gym because of this.

We prefer to stay at hotels that aren't congested with cheerleaders, as they can be a bit rowdy and noisy at night.

Do they also make the local gyms get hotel rooms as well? That would be awful, but it is also only fair.

For cheersport there is. Form to fill out.......my hubby work for a hotel chain so I was able to use this discount t one of the sty nd ply hotels along with a couple. Of other moms with the gym.

I personally have an issue with this whole concept. Stay to play is just another way to make money and I think it's crazy. I understand companies are in the business of making money but when do you say enough is enough? The comp fees are high, the food is overpriced, I have to pay to get in, pay to park, and pay to stay. The company is trying to get a cut of every aspect of your out of town trip. Next they'll require you to get gas from certain gas stations and fly a certain airline. Smh. Ok I'm off my soap box now.

I had this explained to me a different way. Apparently one of the reasons they do this is so that they can gather more data on actual numbers of people who are attending the events and staying overnight. The producers then use this data to assure a better choice of booking dates in different cities and convention centers. The way it was explained is that certain cities and their travel/tourism people pick and choose a bit when it comes to what groups/conventions are given priority when they come to their city. The EP's are trying to gather data to back up what they say when they're appealing to these cities to hold their events.

My CPs old gym decided not to go to Supernationals for this very reason. They missed out on 13 teams competing from her old gym because of this.

We prefer to stay at hotels that aren't congested with cheerleaders, as they can be a bit rowdy and noisy at night.

Do they also make the local gyms get hotel rooms as well? That would be awful, but it is also only fair.
They don't make local gyms get rooms. I believe they are exempt if they're within a certain mile radius of the event.

I hate it! They can sell it however they want...the bottom line is that someone is laughing their way to the bank. Let's use NCA as an example. Just take a look at what a room costs at the same hotels a week or two before/after the event. Stay to play has, in many cases, taken away a team's ability to negotiate a block rate "deal" to help parents save money.

I hate it! They can sell it however they want...the bottom line is that someone is laughing their way to the bank. Let's use NCA as an example. Just take a look at what a room costs at the same hotels a week or two before/after the event. Stay to play has, in many cases, taken away a team's ability to negotiate a block rate "deal" to help parents save money.

It's frustrating from a coaching perspective, too. It would he great to say fine, we are not doing any SnP comps, but then we miss out on comps that have a chance to earn bids to bigger comps. :/ How do you make a stand without hurting the program, too?

It's awful.
As far as number go, it's a crock. A gym owner can EASILY fill out a form stating how many hotel rooms were booked through the program. You can pretty quickly guess how many families are traveling 2+ hours to attend your comp. The fact is, EPs are getting free rooms and kick backs which is why they are doing this. We will NOT be going to any STP events in the future, I can promise you that. It's been nothing but a nightmare.

Back