All-Star Stay And Play - Your Thoughts

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Oh gosh!!! I did NOT even realize this and I'm usually so diligent about checking on using ONLY secure sites with my info. I don't use my cards often, but coincidentally I used a credit card to book rooms for CP and some of her teammates with the Stay to Play program and I just received a fraud alert on this card within 10 days of booking these rooms!! There were over $4,600 charges just made on that card and I was alerted because they were charges that were out of my normal pattern of spending. I immediately cancelled the cards and asked to have them reissued, but as I was on the phone taking care of this, there were 2 more attempts to charge $1,900 and another $600+ as I was ON THE PHONE canceling the cards. I WILL be calling Stay to Play/Cheersport/NCA tomorrow to discuss this. I know that it's my fault for not verifying that it was a secure page prior to entering my CC info, but it's still very concerning that a reputable company with a secure page was not used, especially when this wasn't an optional program for us, it's a REQUIRED one, one that none of us are happy about using, costing us more money at these events that are already very expensive, and this could have possibly cost me more than just a couple hundred dollars, had it not been for the fraud alert. Thank God for fraud alert!!!

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!
That is scary! I'm sorry you had to go through that! The site I noticed it on was thsweb.com for an AC competition in Feb.

Ditto on the govt rate and hubby has racked up hotel points with TDYs we can't use.

Sent from my HTCONE using Fierce Board mobile app
There is a form from cheersport that you can fill out for a hotel discounted rate you r using. They will authorize and sign off on it. I did it and was quick and easy.

I don't believe any of us our fans of this, however, this is much less about the EP's and more about tax revenue. Many sports currently do STP and I'm not going to deny EP's could receive kick backs, however, it is also, how a city can determine what events are worthwhile in their Convention Centers. By enforcing, or encouraging, these EP's to use STP the city can quickly determine how much tax revenue was generated by that event and if it is worthwhile to allow them to use their facilities. The more out of town guests the better, because hotel tax rates are some of the highest out there. There are usually several events going on in a large city at any given time and STP breaks it down for the city government substantially. More taxes from out of town guests mean lower taxes for their residents and a better chance of re-election for the city officials.

I have worked for the events group for a decent sized city before. We never... (as in never ever, not once, zero times, never) had to choose which groups to allow to use our convention center. If you gave us money... You could use the convention center. I've never encountered a situation where we had to determine if it was worthwhile to hold the event. I spent the better part of 3 years essentially begging people to hold their events in our city. We did not turn people away from the city because we didn't deem them worthwhile. And we most assuredly had reeeeeeally accurate numbers for the amount of revenue they brought in, without stp. We knew where they stayed, where they ate, when and where they shopped, what free attractions they visited, you name it. And those groups provided us almost no information, other than how many people registered to attend.

And I don't believe for a hot second that there is a hotel in Atlanta or Dallas (or restaurant or mall or attraction) that would say they're not sure if these cheerleaders bring enough revenue to justify cheersport or nca.

You're right though - it is partially about tax revenue. Because if you force me to pay $129 for a $99 room... The city will indeed get more tax revenue. This is about jacking up prices for certain groups and kickbacks. Period.

I believe both NCA and CHEERSPORT have had to move dates before because another event pushed them out.

Good article that explains what a properly executed "Stay to Play" should look like and what the true purpose of it is. From reading this I think I finally understand how it's supposed to work, but I think EP's should probably read this as well, because if they're signing contracts with hotels to charge $50 more than regular price they probably aren't implementing it correctly. I have heard of multiple EP's being kicked out of venues before because of other events the city felt would bring in more revenue. This has been required of other sports for years, it does suck but was probably going to happen eventually in the cheer industry.

Stay to Play | Sports Destination Management

I believe both NCA and CHEERSPORT have had to move dates before because another event pushed them out.

That doesn't necessarily mean they need stp to "prove" anything though. It could just be a bigger event (I didn't work in either of those cities so I can't say they don't do that - where I worked we never had it so good that huge events were fighting for space. But yes, it is possible that something is bigger than cheersport - I know, hard to believe. Even in little VA we were planning events )

My main point is no city *needs* statistics from a stp event to verify revenue. No one will ever convince me that stp is about tracking revenue. It's about funneling revenue where they want it. Not necessarily wrong - I'm fine with people making money. I'm annoyed by the fact that people booked at one rate and were told they had to cancel and pay the higher "booked through Connections" rate, and that they keep trying to tell people it's just to track revenue.

It's an annoying policy but it really doesn't affect me, sooooooo... carry on. :)

That doesn't necessarily mean they need stp to "prove" anything though. It could just be a bigger event (I didn't work in either of those cities so I can't say they don't do that - where I worked we never had it so good that huge events were fighting for space. But yes, it is possible that something is bigger than cheersport - I know, hard to believe. Even in little VA we were planning events )

My main point is no city *needs* statistics from a stp event to verify revenue. No one will ever convince me that stp is about tracking revenue. It's about funneling revenue where they want it. Not necessarily wrong - I'm fine with people making money. I'm annoyed by the fact that people booked at one rate and were told they had to cancel and pay the higher "booked through Connections" rate, and that they keep trying to tell people it's just to track revenue.

It's an annoying policy but it really doesn't affect me, sooooooo... carry on. :)

All perspective I guess. I know for cheersport and NCA to continue to thrive and get better and ensure a solid experience they need to do this. So the long play version I am ok with.

Even in little VA we were planning events )

I'm at work and I didn't finish my post lol. I meant to say "events that drew crowds of 100,000+ people and we were able to track revenue."

@King I just don't see why the revenue can't be tracked and proven by registrations for the event itself. I'm not seeing why stp is necessary, other than the obvious benefits it provides certain people. I understand why proving that your event brings revenue into the city would be necessary, just not seeing the stay to play necessity.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Fierce Board mobile app

It was either the 2011 or 2012 NCA program that said the only bigger sporting events held in Dallas have been the SuperBowl and World Cup Soccer so not sure what would have possibly bumped them out of their dates. I was told NCA & Cheersport moved their dates so they wouldn't fall on the same weekend which has happened a few times in the past. Now they coordinate to make sure it doesn't happen, which is of course a great business decision. But I agree with @Just-a-Mom , they don't need STP to figure out what these events do for the economy. If NCA talked about moving the event to Houston, I am betting Dallas would be on their hands and knees begging them not to... So why STP?? Wouldn't it be the slightly smaller Nationals that might have to prove their worth?

It was either the 2011 or 2012 NCA program that said the only bigger sporting events held in Dallas have been the SuperBowl and World Cup Soccer so not sure what would have possibly bumped them out of their dates. I was told NCA & Cheersport moved their dates so they wouldn't fall on the same weekend which has happened a few times in the past. Now they coordinate to make sure it doesn't happen, which is of course a great business decision. But I agree with @Just-a-Mom , they don't need STP to figure out what these events do for the economy. If NCA talked about moving the event to Houston, I am betting Dallas would be on their hands and knees begging them not to... So why STP?? Wouldn't it be the slightly smaller Nationals that might have to prove their worth?

But smaller nationals are held in smaller venues who ,I would expect, would be happy for the event .

We knew where they stayed, where they ate, when and where they shopped, what free attractions they visited, you name it. And those groups provided us almost no information, other than how many people registered to attend.

How did you determine if it was the Monster Truck Show, The Hair Convention, The 5K or Cheer Event that earned the most revenue for the city? STP requires you not only to stay at a hotel, but also, state how many people are staying in each room. Cheer events are cash only, so it is harder for cities to get data from credit card companies to track what brought you into town. STP and credit card tracking are tools many cities are now using to determine how to increase tax revenue and provide future business owners with consumer spending habits. Our phones are being used to track our shopping patterns in stores to determine best layouts. We are a tracked society, and yes, it really stinks.

How did you determine if it was the Monster Truck Show, The Hair Convention, The 5K or Cheer Event that earned the most revenue for the city? STP requires you not only to stay at a hotel, but also, state how many people are staying in each room. Cheer events are cash only, so it is harder for cities to get data from credit card companies to track what brought you into town. STP and credit card tracking are tools many cities are now using to determine how to increase tax revenue and provide future business owners with consumer spending habits. Our phones are being used to track our shopping patterns in stores to determine best layouts. We are a tracked society, and yes, it really stinks.

I don't actually know exactly how, because I wasn't one of those 6 figure people figuring it out. All I did was make charts out of their info and market to new groups. They handed me pages and pages of info that they had figured out with the fancy algorithms and it was quite accurate. (and they can still use credit card tracking for cheer - only the actual venue is cash only, and that wouldn't have anything to do with stp anyway. Once at the venue, sales and registration are enough to indicate total attendance and revenue, which is all they need from the venue since everyone is there for the event. Credit cards are still used for everything else)

But I would assume it's the same way they figure all that stuff out WITH stp. Because stp doesn't make you register at restaurants or the mall and they're still able to track those visits. NCAA basketball tournament doesn't make spectators use stp and they still know how many people and how much revenue that is. If stp was a necessity to track revenue, cities would think the Final Four brings about 250 people to their city.

For real though. If you guys want to think stp is this great thing that's the key to growing these events, go for it. I'm just telling you about my experiences. I'm not attending any of these events so it really is just a conversation for me.

When weighing out all of the pros/cons of an event, being forced to use the event for travel arrangements is absolutely a negative. That doesn't automatically mean the event isn't still worth it, but it definitely is a huge strike against an event.

I am generally much more impressed with companies that earn your business through their quality and value, rather than through "leverage" against another part of their company or conglomerate.

Last edited:
Back