All-Star Stingray Teams Categorization

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jan 23, 2011
Ok so I was having a convorsation the other day about Stingrays and we were trying to figure out where their team names all come from...from what I was told it's colors and fruits...but what about smoke and stuff can someone please give me the Categorization of these teams please : )

It started out as all colors. Some colors didn't work out well for the season, so they were retired. Certain colors were named for certain teams under certain coaches, so when they moved on the name was retired. Then we start running out of colors. So that is where you crayon type color names.

Which names have been retired? All I can think of was Purple (that ones obvious for why it was chosen) and Peach.

White, Copper, Gold, Camo, Plaid, Peach, Purple, Chrome, Frost, and we will never name a team Brown. I am sure there are others I am missing.

Then there are colors who don't have teams this year but kinda represent a certain team and we wont use it for someone else. For example Yellow is youth 4. Even though we don't have Youth 4 this year we won't use yellow for another team.

And of course this is all subject to change just cause we feel like it, hah.

We have a similar situation with the cat names. Some are unofficially being held in "reserve" (Bengals) and others were temporarily worked out of the rotation for other reasons (KittyKats, Pumas). Sometimes names "migrate" to other divisions.

The biggest issue - and I'm sure that Stingrays have a similar one - is that teams do not simply remain the same from year to year.

do you know how many weather terms just sound lame? it's definitely hard to keep up with the themed names when your program is growing. soon the teams are just going to be numbered. maryland twisters number 19...seniors!

We had a similar problem picking team names. When I took over the program there wasn't really any teams anymore just rec classes as the previous coaches had decided they wheren't interested anymore and most of the kids on teams left. When I started they had only every had one team and the whole program was under the name Rathgael Ravens. We had to keep the name as it is part of any established gymnastics club and all insurance and registrations were under that name. When I built the program up we tried to think of individual team names for the youth, junior and senior squads. We tried to think up words that began with R and got Rascals for the youth team and Rebels for the seniors. This kind of fell apart when we got to the juniors as all I could think of was reprobates which just isn't right for a squad even if the word does describe most of them very well. After that we just stuck with them not having individual team names as it was the only thing that came to mind every time we tried.

do you know how many weather terms just sound lame? it's definitely hard to keep up with the themed names when your program is growing. soon the teams are just going to be numbered. maryland twisters number 19...seniors!

My gym last year had weather names - thunder, lighting, tornadoes, twisters, flurries, and more that I can't remember (lots of half-year teams). It started becoming a little ridiculous

Stingrays was very close to naming all their teams after diseases. I am glad we never went that direction.

I was thinking that just now. How about the "Idiopathic Hypertropic Subaortic Stenosis" or IHSS? Or you can go slang, like the "Fireballs" in my womb for fibroids and the "Smiling mighthy Jesus" for spinal meningitis. Lordy, lordy, lordy.

Back