All-Star Strangest Thing That's Ever Happened At A Comp

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

4. How about the convention center at Asbury in the winter months? I think I attended a Cheer Tech (or something else scary) event there a few years back where the warmup area upstairs was big enough for a tumble strip and a stunt strip. It's dead winter, and there were BROKEN WINDOWS letting the cold in.... GHETTO

I know which competition you are talking about. That wasn't CT. I remember the one year we went, the tumble strip was on a stage behind the curtain for the performance floor. One strip, that was nowhere near big enough. When you were done, you jumped off the stage to go through the curtain to perform. The other half of warmup was across the outdoor walkway on another stage (so you literally had to walk outside to get from one side of warmups to the other).

My first judging assignment was WV State regionals. We all know they don't compete on mats, just a basketball court. It was raining that day and the gym ceiling started leaking, right at half court (the jump ball circle, so dead center for routines/pyramids etc). The solution? Put one of those 55 gal Rubbermaid trash cans there to catch the drips, the teams can "work around it".

I know which competition you are talking about. That wasn't CT. I remember the one year we went, the tumble strip was on a stage behind the curtain for the performance floor. One strip, that was nowhere near big enough. When you were done, you jumped off the stage to go through the curtain to perform. The other half of warmup was across the outdoor walkway on another stage (so you literally had to walk outside to get from one side of warmups to the other).

YES! wtf competition was that? Horror...

When I competed with my high school squad, at the end of the pyramid I was so happy that everything hit...we all were, except our captain...she had THE most annoyed look on her face, as we were dismounting, I looked at her and asked "what's wrong?" She said "in stunts Heather (her flyer) peed on me!!!" Needless to say I was MORTIFIED.

Quest for the Best. The old Asbury convention center. And we had to drive home in a blizzard. Always a fun time. Many more memories of torture at Brookdale College. Overcrowded, bathrooms a mess, ran out of food, I can go on and on. I miss the old Quest days. I still rate them higher then Cheertech.

Quest for the Best. The old Asbury convention center. And we had to drive home in a blizzard. Always a fun time. Many more memories of torture at Brookdale College. Overcrowded, bathrooms a mess, ran out of food, I can go on and on. I miss the old Quest days. I still rate them higher then Cheertech.

That's it. I kept thinking Quest but wasn't sure. Truly tragic times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1. In 2005 a team from my gym attended a WSF competition in Las Vegas and during the performance a flyer elbowed her backspot in the mouth, causing the backspot's front teeth to get pushed backwards into her mouth. The flyer had nerve damage to her elbow and had to wear a cast for something. The backspot had just gotten her braces off not long before and then was stuck wearing them for a few more years. I vaguely remember her needing 1 fake tooth, but I may have the story wrong... I wasn't actually there, just heard all about it...
2. At LIVE! in Worcester, Mass this year one of the spotlights caught on fire and everyone seemed to notice, but the people working there at first (quickly after they addressed it though). For a little bit it looked like we were going to need to evacuate the building. Thankfully I have never actually had to evacuate a competition before.
3. A long time ago, 7 (?) years ago, a girl on our youth team didn't show up to a competition and never said anything to the coaches, it all worked out, however, and someone filled in for stunts. I'm pretty sure I remember that her family honestly forgot about the competition...hahh
4. In 2004 while at a competition in Myrtle Beach the girls on one of the senior teams were all swimming in the ocean. Somehow a surfboard cuts one girl's stomach open and she had to go to the hospital and get stitches one or two days before the competition. She was a flyer and performed it all, but I remember hearing that everyone was super scared.
5. At a Jamfest competition in 2007, my team's music messed up (not due to the CD) and we stopped the routine with about 45 seconds left. As soon as we got off the mat they sent us back on to perform again. Granted it was only level 3, but we competed full out again the 2nd time and it all went good, but I just remember being exhausted. Between the two performances I did like 6 round-off tucks, 4 RO bhs tucks, and 2 standing double bhs...I was too small to base, but not flexible enough to fly so I was always the one tumbling during stunts hahh

YES! wtf competition was that? Horror...
I want to say Beast of the East....maybe it was a CT...Idr

I have a feeling I was also there and I am thinking Beast of the East.. our team had gone into the hallways to try to find a little, secluded space to work on our dance or cheer or something and it was just the creepiest, most ghetto building. There were just never ending dark, cement hallways with broken windows.

I remember shivering so badly, wondering how the heck my muscles weren't just going to snap. :rolleyes: (I think this was 2007? though not sure they've fixed anything since :p)

last year at a very small comp a radiator fell off the wall onto a little cheerleader she was severly injured i believe had to have surgery it was so scary and this year at battle at the capitol was walking to meet cp's team after they competed and walked right into two moms from another program fist fighting in the middle of the arena that to me was just ridiculous
I remember hearing about the BATC fist fight ! haha, oh cheer moms. gotta love them :) :cheering:

Several years ago one of our cheerleaders was on an esculator and her shoe laces got caught. She severely sprained her ankle and was unable to compete both days. She was ok after a few weeks..
ALSO; This year we competed at UCA Nationals. If anybody was there they know the weather was horrible. Rain and wind plus very cold. We competed at the Indiana Jones Arena which does not have walls. The workers were putting down fresh towels to walk on so the cheerleaders wouldn't slip. I am not sure if they realized but the floor was soaked and the roof was leaking. My daughters stunt group slipped in the water (a puddle) and came down. Luckily they were OK, however they dropped from 1st to 3rd place due to the drop. 6 out of 7 teams slipped in the same area. I am still surprised UCA didn't shut down that venue. :starwars:
oh my. Did they tell the EP ?

1. When I was in high school, a spotter got too close to one of our stunt groups and when the back stepped back to catch cradle, she stepped on the spotter's foot and severely sprained her ankle.

2. Again, when I was in high school, back in the day when bows used to have CLIPS on them.... After our ending pyramid, a girl was dismounting from a shoulder sit and her spankies got caught on the base's bow, which jerked her neck back. Legit, she was taken away on a backboard with a sprained neck LOL

3. I wasn't a member of my old gym quite yet when this happened, but apparently one year at nationals there was a legit fistfight between a parent and a coach. There was also a coach who took some of her team to the theme park and expected the other coach to run a practice by herself with those few girls missing...

4. How about the convention center at Asbury in the winter months? I think I attended a Cheer Tech (or something else scary) event there a few years back where the warmup area upstairs was big enough for a tumble strip and a stunt strip. It's dead winter, and there were BROKEN WINDOWS letting the cold in.... GHETTO

5. We attended a high school competition a few years back that gave you a 5 minute warmup on a hard floor... then, there was a fire alarm and we all had to stand outside in the rain. The fire marshall wouldn't let everyone back in, because the gym was over capacity. That was a mess.

6. How about when your music cuts out and everyone sings the rest of the routine?

7. Last year, I saw a coach at Cheersport MAKING CHANGES to a routine DURING WARMUPS!! Like, actually trying to teach a new motion section. I was like WHAT. IN. THE. HELL!?!?And then she screamed at the kids for not getting it, and walked away from them.

8. I've had kids not show up to competition before, which was interesting. Nothing like having to re-work your whole pyramid in the hallway lol

9. Ever have a coach almost miss their team's warmup? I did once... I set the alarm for PM instead of AM, and ran down to the convention center to enter warmups 5 minutes into their time. Since then, I've always made sure I have someone to call me and make sure I'm up. I felt TERRIBLE and I thought I was going to get fired lol

10. Back in the day, BATC with the garbage cans on the side of the floor for puking... idk if they are still there, but I can remember Level 4 and 5 teams would have 2-3 pukers on average lol
lol, yeah, our team had a girl that was sick at BATC, she didn't puke until after she got off the floor though. One of the teams before us werent so lucky though. A guy puked alll over the floor.

Back