All-Star Strangest Thing That's Ever Happened At A Comp

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I have 2:

First - Long long ago at a HS competition. A grandmother was sitting in the stands and got so mad at something (probably people telling her to sit down) that she walked off while a team was performing. But, instead of taking the safer route around the cheer floor, she walked right through the teams performance. Team didn't miss a beat though.

Second - A stunt competition in Anaheim. While a team was going on the fire alarm went off. The flashing lights, siren, the whole deal. Not one person moved. At least, not until the stunt team performing was done. After they finished, everyone left right away. Tons of people said they didn't move because they thought the sirens were part of the teams music and the lights were part of the show.

I remember at the NHSCC one year it was freezing and we were performing at Indiana Jones. I had goosebumps on the mat and it was not from the adrenaline. I remember shaking the whole time and praying that everything would hit smoothly. Not a super strange occurrence, but I'm glad we were never in Indiana Jones again!

This might not have to do with the competition itself, but acx.cheer and I were casually enjoying the Road To Worlds section of Provincials this year, and all of a sudden (I am not making this up) in a team's music comes that like... evil devil "Muahahahahahah" laugh. I have to say, one of the stranger moments I've ever encountered at a cheer competition.
I do believe this team will be at Worlds, so keep your ears open for that!

This might not have to do with the competition itself, but acx.cheer and I were casually enjoying the Road To Worlds section of Provincials this year, and all of a sudden (I am not making this up) in a team's music comes that like... evil devil "Muahahahahahah" laugh. I have to say, one of the stranger moments I've ever encountered at a cheer competition.
I do believe this team will be at Worlds, so keep your ears open for that!
oh good lord what gym is this

oh good lord what gym is this

Scorpions Elite or something....? I don't even know. I'm pretty sure it's Super Cheer Scorpions IOAG, but they were only going by Scorpions so I was a bit confused.

Scorpions Elite or something....? I don't even know. I'm pretty sure it's Super Cheer Scorpions IOAG, but they were only going by Scorpions so I was a bit confused.
ah know who you are talking about, i can totally see it now,

and well one year i think it was some rec cheer program but they had a whole nature theme to their routine and their opening was like a thunder storm and african drums and chanting, now that was weird

Several years ago one of our cheerleaders was on an esculator and her shoe laces got caught. She severely sprained her ankle and was unable to compete both days. She was ok after a few weeks..
ALSO; This year we competed at UCA Nationals. If anybody was there they know the weather was horrible. Rain and wind plus very cold. We competed at the Indiana Jones Arena which does not have walls. The workers were putting down fresh towels to walk on so the cheerleaders wouldn't slip. I am not sure if they realized but the floor was soaked and the roof was leaking. My daughters stunt group slipped in the water (a puddle) and came down. Luckily they were OK, however they dropped from 1st to 3rd place due to the drop. 6 out of 7 teams slipped in the same area. I am still surprised UCA didn't shut down that venue. :starwars:

I agree. It was not a fun day.

Several years ago one of our cheerleaders was on an esculator and her shoe laces got caught. She severely sprained her ankle and was unable to compete both days. She was ok after a few weeks..
ALSO; This year we competed at UCA Nationals. If anybody was there they know the weather was horrible. Rain and wind plus very cold. We competed at the Indiana Jones Arena which does not have walls. The workers were putting down fresh towels to walk on so the cheerleaders wouldn't slip. I am not sure if they realized but the floor was soaked and the roof was leaking. My daughters stunt group slipped in the water (a puddle) and came down. Luckily they were OK, however they dropped from 1st to 3rd place due to the drop. 6 out of 7 teams slipped in the same area. I am still surprised UCA didn't shut down that venue. :starwars:
Considering its all about safety right???

1. When I was in high school, a spotter got too close to one of our stunt groups and when the back stepped back to catch cradle, she stepped on the spotter's foot and severely sprained her ankle.

2. Again, when I was in high school, back in the day when bows used to have CLIPS on them.... After our ending pyramid, a girl was dismounting from a shoulder sit and her spankies got caught on the base's bow, which jerked her neck back. Legit, she was taken away on a backboard with a sprained neck LOL

3. I wasn't a member of my old gym quite yet when this happened, but apparently one year at nationals there was a legit fistfight between a parent and a coach. There was also a coach who took some of her team to the theme park and expected the other coach to run a practice by herself with those few girls missing...

4. How about the convention center at Asbury in the winter months? I think I attended a Cheer Tech (or something else scary) event there a few years back where the warmup area upstairs was big enough for a tumble strip and a stunt strip. It's dead winter, and there were BROKEN WINDOWS letting the cold in.... GHETTO

5. We attended a high school competition a few years back that gave you a 5 minute warmup on a hard floor... then, there was a fire alarm and we all had to stand outside in the rain. The fire marshall wouldn't let everyone back in, because the gym was over capacity. That was a mess.

6. How about when your music cuts out and everyone sings the rest of the routine?

7. Last year, I saw a coach at Cheersport MAKING CHANGES to a routine DURING WARMUPS!! Like, actually trying to teach a new motion section. I was like WHAT. IN. THE. HELL!?!?And then she screamed at the kids for not getting it, and walked away from them.

8. I've had kids not show up to competition before, which was interesting. Nothing like having to re-work your whole pyramid in the hallway lol

9. Ever have a coach almost miss their team's warmup? I did once... I set the alarm for PM instead of AM, and ran down to the convention center to enter warmups 5 minutes into their time. Since then, I've always made sure I have someone to call me and make sure I'm up. I felt TERRIBLE and I thought I was going to get fired lol

10. Back in the day, BATC with the garbage cans on the side of the floor for puking... idk if they are still there, but I can remember Level 4 and 5 teams would have 2-3 pukers on average lol

last year at a very small comp a radiator fell off the wall onto a little cheerleader she was severly injured i believe had to have surgery it was so scary and this year at battle at the capitol was walking to meet cp's team after they competed and walked right into two moms from another program fist fighting in the middle of the arena that to me was just ridiculous
That was our team. The little girl is Karli and she is doing very well. If it had to happen to anyone, Karli is the one with the spunk, toughness and great attitude to handle it. She broke her femur and her arm. And if the radiator had landed a couple of inches higher on her, she probably wouldn't be alive, so I thank God for small favors. However, some of her teammates have had serious issues with anxiety and one was treated by a doctor for it...that little girl is almost able to stop taking medication. My greatest sadness about this is that no one from the facility or the owner of the organization running the event ever called me or the family to find out how she was doing. The program who held the event, the families of it were wonderful and caring though.

That was our team. The little girl is Karli and she is doing very well. If it had to happen to anyone, Karli is the one with the spunk, toughness and great attitude to handle it. She broke her femur and her arm. And if the radiator had landed a couple of inches higher on her, she probably wouldn't be alive, so I thank God for small favors. However, some of her teammates have had serious issues with anxiety and one was treated by a doctor for it...that little girl is almost able to stop taking medication. My greatest sadness about this is that no one from the facility or the owner of the organization running the event ever called me or the family to find out how she was doing. The program who held the event, the families of it were wonderful and caring though.
wow that is horrible that they wouldnt even call to see if she was okay that incident is definetly something that i will never forget my heart broke for that little girl that day im so glad that she is doing well

Back