College Stunt National Championship (div I & Div Ii)

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Why is that?

Jeff Webb is in charge of Varsity. He testified in a court case that involved NCATA (the *other*, original version of STUNT) that cheerleading wasn't a sport in it's current form (he wasn't really wrong). NCATA was a big threat to Varsity - teams that competed were real varsity athletes and didn't do sideline cheerleading, and didn't go to Varsity camps or NCA/UCA competitions anymore.

Not too long after that, USA Cheer came out with STUNT, which is more or less the same thing as NCATA, but they don't limit their competitors from going to camps or comps sponsored by a private company (Varsity). Bill Seely is head of USA Cheer and he's also a high up at UCA. Right now, both sports are trying to get emerging sport status from the NCAA, and the NCAA is all like "you guys need to figure it out and come back to us. You're the same darn thing." So Stunt more or less is acting as a barrier to NCATA being an NCAA Title-IX sanctioned college sport. This is good for Jeff Webb and Varsity. And again, Bill Seely has a hand in both, so he's not going to say no.

There's some info here about the two and if you go down into the comments there's more info about the Varsity influence over USA Cheer. The stunt championship used to take place in daytona the same weekend as NCA.

Acrobatics & Tumbling vs. STUNT | michigancheerleader

Last edited:
Jeff Webb is in charge of Varsity. He testified in a court case that involved NCATA (the *other*, original version of STUNT) that cheerleading wasn't a sport in it's current form (he wasn't really wrong). NCATA was a big threat to Varsity - teams that competed were real varsity athletes and didn't do sideline cheerleading, and didn't go to Varsity camps or NCA/UCA competitions anymore.

Not too long after that, USA Cheer came out with STUNT, which is more or less the same thing as NCATA, but they don't limit their competitors from going to camps or comps sponsored by a private company (Varsity). Bill Seely is head of USA Cheer and he's also a high up at UCA. Right now, both sports are trying to get emerging sport status from the NCAA, and the NCAA is all like "you guys need to figure it out and come back to us. You're the same darn thing." So Stunt more or less is acting as a barrier to NCATA being an NCAA Title-IX sanctioned college sport. This is good for Jeff Webb and Varsity. And again, Bill Seely has a hand in both, so he's not going to say no.

There's some info here about the two and if you go down into the comments there's more info about the Varsity influence over USA Cheer. The stunt championship used to take place in daytona the same weekend as NCA.

Acrobatics & Tumbling vs. STUNT | michigancheerleader

Ashley, can you believe 5 years (this summer) has passed from the lawsuit? I am the coach from that trial.

Ashley, can you believe 5 years (this summer) has passed from the lawsuit? I am the coach from that trial.

I feel like I vaguely knew or remembered that were somehow involved with QU. But gosh, 5 years, I can't believe it! Now I feel silly explaing the whole situation to you as if you don't know it ;)

I feel like I vaguely knew or remembered that were somehow involved with QU. But gosh, 5 years, I can't believe it! Now I feel silly explaing the whole situation to you as if you don't know it ;)

Don't feel silly... as for the the "whole situation" most people don't know the "half'" of it...

I was just wondering. I noticed that STUNT is offered to D1 & D11 colleges. Are D111 colleges able to compete or only is it only offered to D1 & D11 schools?

I was just wondering. I noticed that STUNT is offered to D1 & D11 colleges. Are D111 colleges able to compete or only is it only offered to D1 & D11 schools?
Davenport definitely won NCA in D3 and I'm pretty sure Alma College is D3 as well! I'm not really sure if they just translate it differently in STUNT or if I'm just wrong lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Davenport definitely won NCA in D3 and I'm pretty sure Alma College is D3 as well! I'm not really sure if they just translate it differently in STUNT or if I'm just wrong lol

Thank you. After looking into Davenport I am sorta confused by them as their Varsity teams compete at a D1 but their "unsponsored" teams compete at all different levels. For example, their Lacrosse teams compete D1, the rugby teams compete D11 and their hockey teams compete d111. The cheerleading team must have gone to NCA as d111 but in STUNT it looks like from the articles they competed D11.

Alma looks like a true d111 school. Their athletics department is listed as such. however it looks like they compete d11 in STUNT. So I am assuming d111 schools that want to compete in stunt compete in d11 STUNT category?

Thank you. After looking into Davenport I am sorta confused by them as their Varsity teams compete at a D1 but their "unsponsored" teams compete at all different levels. For example, their Lacrosse teams compete D1, the rugby teams compete D11 and their hockey teams compete d111. The cheerleading team must have gone to NCA as d111 but in STUNT it looks like from the articles they competed D11.

Alma looks like a true d111 school. Their athletics department is listed as such. however it looks like they compete d11 in STUNT. So I am assuming d111 schools that want to compete in stunt compete in d11 STUNT category?
That's what I was thinking! Splitting it into two divisions probably allows for more competition- since I don't think there are tooooo many schools involved in STUNT?

That's what I was thinking! Splitting it into two divisions probably allows for more competition- since I don't think there are tooooo many schools involved in STUNT?

I think there are about 24 teams STUNT teams, while NCATA has 12 or 13 (I think.) And while splitting STUNT into two divisions seems like a good idea, you still compete against schools of any division. When I did STUNT at a community college, we were in D2 but we mainly competed against D1 teams with established cheer programs. So while we had a bad record, they were close games and we held our own, but still had a crappy record. And to make it to the national championship, it was done by voting from coaches. I don't know if it's the same now (I certainly hope not.) Don't get me wrong, I loved competing in STUNT, and I like the idea of it... But it's definitely flawed and I think NCATA would be a better option for an NCAA sport.

And just from my experience, many of the cheer teams that compete in STUNT are also the competitive cheer team. They may add a few more people to the roster that didn't make the mat for UCA/NCA, but they're definitely very similar teams.

I agree. As the sport grows I am sure it will evolve and could split into D1, D11 and D111 divisions.

I think there are about 24 teams STUNT teams, while NCATA has 12 or 13 (I think.) And while splitting STUNT into two divisions seems like a good idea, you still compete against schools of any division. When I did STUNT at a community college, we were in D2 but we mainly competed against D1 teams with established cheer programs. So while we had a bad record, they were close games and we held our own, but still had a crappy record. And to make it to the national championship, it was done by voting from coaches. I don't know if it's the same now (I certainly hope not.) Don't get me wrong, I loved competing in STUNT, and I like the idea of it... But it's definitely flawed and I think NCATA would be a better option for an NCAA sport.

And just from my experience, many of the cheer teams that compete in STUNT are also the competitive cheer team. They may add a few more people to the roster that didn't make the mat for UCA/NCA, but they're definitely very similar teams.

I am learning so much. As a parent I am definilty interested in the future of cheer. Once my CP goes to college it would be nice for her to have a sport she can participate in at an NCAA level. Hopefully the kinks will be worked out by then. She is only 8. So there is a lot of time for us. Thanks for everyone's input. I think this is an exciting time for cheer and good things are going to come especially for college cheer.

Last edited:

NCA used to combine DIII and DII. It split awhile back. STUNT is probably just combining the divisions like NCA used to.

Davenport is NAIA, not NCAA. Different governing body. They do not have any NCAA sports.

Davenport is NAIA, not NCAA. Different governing body. They do not have any NCAA sports.
Using this as a jumping off point...
I think I knew this because I remember them having to switch divisions last year (the year before?) at NCA to the NAIA all girl division instead of division 3 all girl, but they only had NAIA Small Coed this year at NCA... So they were back in D3. But my question is, let's say STUNT does become and NCAA sport. Would Davenport no longer be able to compete in it? Would they have to petition the NAIA to make it a sport (... But then compete against no one because I'm pretty sure no other NAIA school has a stunt team?) Also, what is the benefit of being an NAIA school? NCAA is soooo huge, like why have NAIA in the first place? It just doesn't seem to benefit the athletes since NCAA pretty much dominates everything.

Back