All-Star Stunting On Concrete During Practice

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

This is so wrong in so many ways. I would definitely not let it drop.

I often have wondered why gyms allow stunting in carpeted hallways at convention centers. This is an unnecessary risk. When CP was a Mini, a flyer on her team came down to quick from a lib at prep and broke her ankle. They were stunting on carpeted concrete.

No matter what the stunt is it should not be done on an inappropriate surface. Not only is it illegal by USASF rules, but it is irresponsible coaching.

Mommy to CP and BP!
The Fierce Board App!

At first I was thinking this is a terrible idea but the coaches might have a point. Then I realised that it was the stupidest thing I have ever heard in my whole life. If the coaches are saying that they aren't motivated to keep the stunts up it will make them more motivated on the concrete. How as soon as they go back into the gym the pressure will be off again and the same problem will happen. They need to find something else to motivate them. At my gym we get everybody in a circle and one group has to go at a time the pressure makes it hit better most of the time. But also our coaches tell us that if we don't they will get rid of our stunt so that gives us added pressure. I think the coaches need to rethink there motivation methods

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

Spoke again with my CP to clarify. The team practiced the entire stunt sequence outside, including waterfall and kick fulls, pressed/tossed from prep. Not OK with this. You can add as many spotters around the stunt as you want, but drop a waterfall, and all those spotters get is a front row seat.

Have you ever seen two outfielders go for a fly ball and they both bail at the last minute thinking the other one has it? I just attended a funeral a few weeks ago for a man who fell off a six foot ladder and hit his head on a concrete garage floor. He was upset and laughing at his son and wife for calling the paramedics after the fall, he passed during the night. No, don't let this go. Brain swelling, stroke and brain stem injuries are all too common with these types of falls.

Spoke again with my CP to clarify. The team practiced the entire stunt sequence outside, including waterfall and kick fulls, pressed/tossed from prep. Not OK with this. You can add as many spotters around the stunt as you want, but drop a waterfall, and all those spotters get is a front row seat.

Yell no. I'm just picturing all the waterfalls that have accidentally slipped thru the bases arms.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

i dont agree with doing difficult allstar stunts on concrete for obvious reasons, but back in my day we used to tumble and stunt on basketball hardwood floors in HS (it sucked... fyi) i guess it depends on the difficulty of what they are doing.

So, last year. I was on an allstar team that was run out of a gymnastics building. The gymnastics building kicked us out. My coaches decided we should practice at a gym (excercise gym..) we rented out a BASKETBALL COURT and practiced there. Keep in mind this is sr 2, so not too advanced. We were expected to throw everything. Stunts, jumps, tumbling, baskets-- everything. We had 1 concussion... Just sharing my story so discuss on!

Theres a reason we stunt/tumble on a spring floor, people!

It may be standard in our industry to let cheerleaders fall from heights over 6 feet on hard surfaces, however that does not make it right. OSHA protects adults better than we are protecting our children. Critical height studies have proven that grass, basketball courts, concrete and rubberized asphalt are high risk surfaces, and that risk is especially increased when they are still in the learning phase.

It may be standard in our industry to let cheerleaders fall from heights over 6 feet on hard surfaces, however that does not make it right. OSHA protects adults better than we are protecting our children. Critical height studies have proven that grass, basketball courts, concrete and rubberized asphalt are high risk surfaces, and that risk is especially increased when they are still in the learning phase.

I really don't believe it is the standard is it? Maybe I live under a rock. Princess Hotmess is scared to death of stunting on concrete or any where that is not a blue mat.

I have had teams stunt on concrete in parades or at games but always very basic skills that we knew would hit without question. I would never PRACTICE skills on concrete that is definitely an accident waiting to happen. I can't say that I have never heard this before but I will say it is a very old school approach mostly implemented by coaches who cheered pre mats and saw the new systems as more of a hindrance then a help. When I was younger I can't remember a time a flyer hit the floor, we were taught "your flyer never hits the ground" so the surface really didn't make much difference to us. Now I see kids fall to the mat often, I think that the mentality of athletes is much different today and I wouldn't chance putting them in that type of danger.

In fairness I think stunts today are much more difficult and bases shouldn't be the only ones held accountable for a fall ya know? Proper technique for a flyer is just as important.

I hear you! OP you might suggest to your gym/program that they consult with their attorneys about how well that "gym not liable for injuries" piece of paper they made you sign would hold up in case of an injury due to stunting on concrete... Just saying ;)
It's pretty hard to contract out of negligence and IMO having kids stunt on concrete in the dark is negligence as it reasonably foreseeable that the risk of catastrophic injury or other serious harm injury is increased

im not saying stunting on concrete is safe because its not... BUT what about grass, or turf like at the all star resort. everyone does it so that's okay? (im being devils advocate)
I also don't agree with that I think it's crazy practising out there right before worlds. In 2011 I watched a girl get dropped head first in a kick double on the grass outside the milk house on that field out back. I will never forget the sickening noise of her head meeting the ground. She was extremely badly concussed. This girl had been a flyer her whole life and would have been doing kick doubles for years prior to this accident. Luckily she's come through ok but there it is in a nutshell it was LUCK she was ok and I don't think her safety should have been chanced in this way.

Back