Stupid Mental Block--frustrated!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Sep 25, 2012
Over the summer at tumbling, I got really confident and finally could throw a standing back handspring. Then one week we had to throw them on the hard ground, I'd only done that twice and that was 2 weeks before. I convinced myself I still could and when I went to do it, fell right on my head. That was the moment I got my mental block. It's been 4 months and I've only got it in the pit or a soft big mat. I can throw round off back layouts into the pit but I can't throw my back handspring anywhere. I tried being spotted on the ground last week and couldn't even do that. My block is worse now and I'm really hopeless. I just can't get myself to jump. I want to do it but my body just won't let me. I'm so frustrated and nothing had helped. Please help me!

First of all, mental blocks aren't stupid, they are real and you shouldn't feel stupid for having one. Give it some time and some confidence building skills and it will come back. To have it in the pit is really good and it's a step in the right direction. How have your coaches approached your mental block? Sometimes this affects how you get through this...

The same thing happened to me about a year ago with my RBHS, a major step is your coach addressing your mental block. My coaches basically had to coax me back into it for my body to feel comfortable. You also may want to think about how much you trust yourself, which is leading to your mental block, and how you can still trust yourself because you only fell on your head once! Your getting their, being able to throw it into a pit and flat mat! keep pushing don't get discouraged!!

Coming from someone who has had a mental block on and off for many years...if you let it get the better of you, it will. I wish I could've known that before I let mine get so bad.I lost all hope and it turned into a fear more than just a mind thing. Just keep trying and remember to put mind over matter because your body physically knows how to do the skill. and good luck :)

I know several girls that are fighting mental blocks. I know their mom's would be extremely grateful if someone had tip or suggestions on how to help their daughters over come these blocks. For some girls the blocks have lasted for over a year.

The more you push a mental block the worse it will get. Give yourself some time and one day, out of the blue, you'll surprise yourself and get over it. I had the exact same problem and one day something just clicked and I could do it again all of a sudden. Be patient :)

Back walkovers, back walkovers to handstands and handstand snap-downs! They're the basis for a back handspring. Do each on a spring floor 10-20 times then attempt a back handspring with a spot. Do that until you become comfortable and able to throw your BHS by yourself, then take the process to the hard floor. It's a matter of getting your confidence back and mentally and physically.

And trust me... it will take time! It took me 4 years to get over being afraid of a ROBHS Tuck because I rolled my ankle.

Confidence is key. Trust yourself, clear your mind of all the bad thoughts and let you're body take over. It knows what to do.

Ask somebody to spot u first. If they say u are ready to do it alone just clear your mind and forget about when u fell on ur head! It was just a little mistake it happens. One bad backhand spring dose not mean that u can't do it. I have done that a few times to and I was scared but if you just throw it it will come a lot easier to u. U will get it I know u will u just have to have faith in yourself and stop worrying! :)

Back