All-Star Substance Free Programs

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I'm not necessarily talking about Dani in particular when I say this (obviously since no one is really sure as to how she passed) but I feel as though people often forget that alcohol is a toxin. The only reason humans can consume even a small amount of it without dying is because our bodies produce it during alcohol fermentation and need for our liver to be able to process it.

But it's still not usually referred to as an "overdose." Usually "alcohol poisoning" is the phrase used. I think that's why most are assuming they are not talking alcohol when they say they are investigating it as an overdose.

I seriously have to stop reading this thread. :(

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Sorry I was not trying to be a jerk. You cannot imagine how many people DO think the NCAA sponsor the championship
I once heard someone say that they endorse the NCA Nat'l Championship trophies, whatever that is supposed to mean. Is that true?

But it's still not usually referred to as an "overdose." Usually "alcohol poisoning" is the phrase used. I think that's why most are assuming they are not talking alcohol when they say they are investigating it as an overdose.

I seriously have to stop reading this thread. :(

It's not pleasant and I agree with you. There is a certain phrasing and lexicon they use for this type of situation. While you can't say with 100% what happened I feel like you can make an educated guess based on the reporting.

My response is everything that happens and we do is for the living. Grieving is for the living. And improvement is for the living. Is there things that can and should be done to prevent future tragedy?

Hearing about this and all of what happens at the All-Star resort seriously disturbs me... what if some massive scandal breaks and makes the news, and the 'crazy-partier' stereotype of cheerleaders is yet again cemented in the minds of all (or at least most) Americans.

And why hasn't Disney cracked down on this yet? Does this same thing happen at UCA NHSCC and UCA College Nationals?

Hearing about this and all of what happens at the All-Star resort seriously disturbs me... what if some massive scandal breaks and makes the news, and the 'crazy-partier' stereotype of cheerleaders is yet again cemented in the minds of all (or at least most) Americans.

And why hasn't Disney cracked down on this yet? Does this same thing happen at UCA NHSCC and UCA College Nationals?

I might be very naive... I never saw anything more than weed and alcohol at UCA Nationals. However, I didn't really hang out with anyone but my teammates. I imagine it is, because everyone does hard drugs these days.

Unfortunately I don't think Disney cares what cheerleaders are doing as long as no one is destroying property, causing a scene, or putting themselves or others in danger. It's not up to Disney to monitor sporting events like competitions. They can only enforce rules regarding drugs and alcohol so much. Disney can't drug test everyone who comes into their park or stay on their property. They're not going do randomized searches of all guests. I'm sure there's a massive amount of drugs and alcohol brought onto Disney property every year. What can they do? Not much. But I'm sure they aren't worried about a group of cheerleaders who are there for a weekend every year when they have hundreds of thousands of people coming into their parks everyday.

Also, I have to assume that the college events are worse than high school and all star. No chaperones, no parents, and so much cause for celebration.

Also, I have to assume that the college events are worse than high school and all star. No chaperones, no parents, and so much cause for celebration.

Daytona is pretty bad because well, it's college students and depending on your school, it may coincide with Spring Break. So it becomes Spring Break with cheerleading mixed in for a couple of days.

Double posting, but also about the whole "high school/all star events like Worlds have chaperones" point.

Yes, technically, there are adults present, but in many cases, the adult is:

1. a parent who doesn't care if her kid drinks or not. Because "well, she's 16/17/18 and will be able to do what she wants soon anyway" or some other reason. This parent might even be the one who BOUGHT for the kids, in many cases.

2. a parent who is going to bed at 9 PM leaving all kids to their own devices.

3. a parent who is about to hit the bar at 10:00 anyway.

4. an aged-out former teammate who cheered last season and wants to party with her friends too.

5. a young college-aged coach who is not responsible and too afraid to "look lame" to actually do anything about what the kids are doing. (not throwing shade on young coaches, some are great. Others are out to do just what I said.)

6. a coach who is headed for the bar at 10:00 just like the above parents.

Last edited:
I've never seen the word overdose used when discussing alcohol, and I've seen A LOT of drug/alcohol related deaths, though you could be right.

it's unfortunate that alcohol and overdose are not used together when someone dies from alcohol (cdc report ~300 alcohol overdose deaths per year). the words excessive use or poisoning are usually used. it's even more unfortunate when people say drugs and alcohol as if alcohol is not a drug. alcohol is a drug. using and seems to imply that it is not. in fact, a simple look in a nueropharmacology text will show that alcohol is one of the hardest recreational drugs there is with respects to potential for addiction, fighting addiction and intoxication/impairment.

Suspected overdose but no mention of what they think the overdose could have been. If alcohol then it may be more of an education matter.
"What, you don't even go here!"

what do you mean by: it may be more of an education matter?

Unfortunately I don't think Disney cares what cheerleaders are doing as long as no one is destroying property, causing a scene, or putting themselves or others in danger.

the only reason disney would step in to curb drugs on their property would *only* be if someone was selling acid or baggies of substance with a mickey mouse or other character logo on it. they would jail you not for selling/having drugs, but for copy-write infringement.

I haven't seen anything like this at high school nationals. These are all minors traveling as a school team so there really isn't the opportunity. I have only gone to UCA college nationals twice but have not seen anything like this either. I'm sure it goes on, but not to the same extent.

we're going to need a "what you did before the age of 21 doesn't count" rule.

That has actually been proposed by the Google founders before. The thing is when digging for dirt most of the time you only find it on candidates in the 25 and younger years. Yet only top notch candidates can run 35+ after they have matured. The insurance industry knows you can't take a 25 or younger person seriously enough to rent them a car, yet we take their younger actions serious enough to discredit them.

Latest posts

Back