Summit Bid J5 Question...

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I don't think "big, full division" and "Youth 5" go in the same sentence. I love divisions like youth 5 and mini 3 but they just are not popular and 9 times out of 10 the kids end up competing against no one. I also don't think (as much as people will disagree) that EP's consider Y5 a "true level 5 team". It's very apparent that the trend is Worlds=true level 5, any other "level 5"=restricted in some way

Even J5 which is not restricted in ANY way is often slighted.

@CEA_ATC I don't think anyone is insulting Y5.

At the end of the day the EPs will give the bids out to the teams that either earn them or the teams that they get passed down to.

In a couple of days, you will see what I mean about Y5 and Summit bids. (From what I have heard)

Bottom line: these kids compete in Youth 5 which has been restricted by the USASF, not by their abilities. My CP would have loved to have a shot at the unrestricted Y5 before they changed it, but she doesn't get to choose when she was born, either.

Yes, you hit a nerve.

Well, techncally she COULD compete unrestricted on a J5 at 10 years old with true L5 skills.

There were 3 Y5 teams at Summit last year. There are 5 Y5 teams at NCA. There are up to 10x that amount of teams in other divisions and levels. It would not surprise me in the least if EPs would rather award their paid Summit bids to better filled divisions. Not saying it's fair, but I can understand it.
And yes, a Y5 team is extremely hard to field and these young kids are amazing! I don't think anyone would dispute that!

Summit paid bids are not completely paid... There are still a lot of $$$ attached to that paid bid.
Y5 as you said travel extensively to compete and maybe it's not worth it to go to another "away" comp at the end of the season.
Y5s typically move on to j5 and then worlds teams which means they have many years in front of them to go to the mouse house at the end of the season and get jackets with leather sleeves.
Y5 is a very impressive accomplishment!
If they experience everything at 10 what is the incentive to go 8 more years?
Believe me I'm talking first hand experience... I see burn out from our Y5 team 5 years later and only 1/2 are still cheering.

That's what I would assume to but that is not what I'm hearing and if R5 is included our chances just got a whole lot smaller!! Technically R5 and 5 are not the same level and the skill set is truly different. BUT I think 4.2 gets lumped with 4 so maybe you are right. If anyone has any very specific info about the J5's Y5's and being eligible for paid bids please let me know! Our gym will not go if the bid is not paid. Thanks!

What everyone else is saying is true. For every Summit bid comp I've been to, the J5's, R5's, and Y5's have all been lumped together for bid purposes.

They are different skill sets between R5 and 5. But, IMO, I think it's actually the J5's that are at the disadvantage. If they're to be competitive in their division, they have to hit routines with much more difficult tumbling and more difficult baskets and pyramids. They're competing Worlds calibur routines. It's much harder to hit a high percent perfection in a routine maxed out with true L5 skills than it is to hit a high percent perfection in a routine with the R5 skill set.

The same can be said for the L4's vs the 4.2's. While they're both competing the same stunting difficulty, L4's have far more difficult tumbling that they have to execute perfectly.

We're J5 not Y5... and I think kids who have true level 5 skills and are Y5 are ROCKSTARS. My daughter is still youth age eligible but there just are not any Y5's near us. It is hard as heck to field a team. J5 it had to be. Oh wait.. I just realized I called my kid a ROCKSTAR. Guilty! lol It seems like both J5 and Y5 are always and will forever be the smallest divisions nationwide and I agree it would be awesome to get all 8 Y5's at one comp. As far as it being easy to get a bid... I suppose that depends on what comps your team is going to and whether your gym will take your teams on AL vs. Paid. It's easier to get a bid as a Senior Level 1 than a J5 that's for sure. This may sound snarky but it's a heck of a lot easier to hit a near perfect routine when your doing cartwheels and thigh stands than double ups and double fulls. Also there was a huge reduction in the number of paid and AL bids this year so that wild card bids could be given out.. which I think is Summit's way of trying to be able to stack and fill divisions and increase the number of gyms that decide to attend. Small gym, no chance of really winning but wants to take team and say they went.. wild card bid fills that need. BUT this is getting off track. If anyone hears anything about J5's/Y5's/R5's division combining, bid eligibility in Dallas paid vs AL for J5 - please post! THANKS! :)

In a couple of days, you will see what I mean about Y5 and Summit bids. (From what I have heard)
WHAT DID YOU HEAR??? I heard no paid bids for J5 or Y5 in Dallas from a coach. Are you hearing the same?? Please share!!

There were 3 Y5 teams at Summit last year. There are 5 Y5 teams at NCA. There are up to 10x that amount of teams in other divisions and levels. It would not surprise me in the least if EPs would rather award their paid Summit bids to better filled divisions. Not saying it's fair, but I can understand it.
And yes, a Y5 team is extremely hard to field and these young kids are amazing! I don't think anyone would dispute that!

It looks like that is exactly what they did at CheerSport and their Summit bid declaration form stated they could.. but NCA's bid declaration form is different and not at all like CheerSport. It looks very cut/dry. Must win division and paid goes to highest scoring team of entire level. Period.

@CEA_ATC you took all that completely different than intended I can almost guarantee it.

**The only thing I like about soccer is relegation and we should do it in all star cheer.**
I COMPLETELY AGREE with your quote. All this wishy washyness, lack of transparency, EP's doing what they want, different judging formats, not having concrete regulations - it really effects the legitimizing of this sport and it's not fair to the athletes one bit.

Wow...so talk about reading so far into a post you fell off the end of the world.
Calm yourself...considering your cp already has a paid bid for J5 I don't quite get your aggressiveness about Y5.
This is why I along with other people don't post much anymore.

Edit: in response to the "snarky response" comment...are you new here?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CP is not J5, just Y5. She's not a flyer, so at 10, J5 is not much of an option until she gets a bit bigger, or loses the squeamishness in the air. (Huge for a 10 year old youth- 4'10" and size 9 women's shoes, but smallish for Juniors without being in the air).

I'm not concerned about the Youth bid... But that is not what I asked about in the first place. I just want to hear from people at other Y5 gyms to see if they will go back to Summit. CP won it last year, but the other 2 teams she competed against are not even in the division anymore (Matrix and Cheer Tyme). As I said before, just as it is more exciting when Large Senior is "full", it is really exciting when Y5 is "full". One of the reasons NCA is so big on the calendar... Even though the 5 there are divided by size.

We hear a lot of "you should just go Y4" stuff during the year, just as we did when we were on Mini 3 about going Mini 2. The idea (coming from an EP or anyone else) that the division is less significant than bigger divisions because of the number of teams makes a lot of us defensive... Especially when we catch a lot of grief when our Y5 kids do cheer down (like our Y3 team that gets side-eyed a lot). Taking into account the fact that Y4 is a division we never see, either, why not let them spin if they can and get that experience? Our girls step onto the mat with competing against J5 and R5 teams for bids on their minds. And they freaking kill it... Often out scoring those teams, and often out performing them... Not always, but often. To hold back bids or recognition because they did not have a bunch of teams in a division is frustrating. They are competing against the field very time. One of the things we love about youth 5 is that those little ones go out like they are in the 46 small senior teams at NCA.

Back