Summit Bid J5 Question...

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Not really at liberty to speak yet. The information was privileged, and I don't want to out my source ;)

But something is coming, and soon.

It's easier to get a bid as a Senior Level 1 than a J5 that's for sure. This may sound snarky but it's a heck of a lot easier to hit a near perfect routine when your doing cartwheels and thigh stands than double ups and double fulls.

That is not necessarily a true statement. Unless you have higher level kids crossing down to a lower level team, they are on level 1 for a reason - they aren't good enough to stunt, tumble, and jump at level 2. That means what they are doing at level 1 is difficult to them. It is just as easy for them to not hit a prep as it is for a level 5 athlete to fall on a double up.

Privileged information = gossip, imo.

Honestly, it sounds like a much greater percentage of y5 teams end up with Summit bids than other groups. Like, in my experience, it's much harder to get a bid for j3 or s4. I don't have the numbers to prove that, of course. *shrug*

That is not necessarily a true statement. Unless you have higher level kids crossing down to a lower level team, they are on level 1 for a reason - they aren't good enough to stunt, tumble, and jump at level 2. That means what they are doing at level 1 is difficult to them. It is just as easy for them to not hit a prep as it is for a level 5 athlete to fall on a double up.

My kiddo has been at this sport for 9 years and started at the bottom. My niece is currently 12 and level 1. So I am on both ends of things and respectfully I completely disagree with you. I'm in my 40's and I could hit a prep. Again.. I am respectfully disagreeing. Just my opinion.

CP is not J5, just Y5. She's not a flyer, so at 10, J5 is not much of an option until she gets a bit bigger, or loses the squeamishness in the air. (Huge for a 10 year old youth- 4'10" and size 9 women's shoes, but smallish for Juniors without being in the air).

I'm not concerned about the Youth bid... But that is not what I asked about in the first place. I just want to hear from people at other Y5 gyms to see if they will go back to Summit. CP won it last year, but the other 2 teams she competed against are not even in the division anymore (Matrix and Cheer Tyme). As I said before, just as it is more exciting when Large Senior is "full", it is really exciting when Y5 is "full". One of the reasons NCA is so big on the calendar... Even though the 5 there are divided by size.

We hear a lot of "you should just go Y4" stuff during the year, just as we did when we were on Mini 3 about going Mini 2. The idea (coming from an EP or anyone else) that the division is less significant than bigger divisions because of the number of teams makes a lot of us defensive... Especially when we catch a lot of grief when our Y5 kids do cheer down (like our Y3 team that gets side-eyed a lot). Taking into account the fact that Y4 is a division we never see, either, why not let them spin if they can and get that experience? Our girls step onto the mat with competing against J5 and R5 teams for bids on their minds. And they freaking kill it... Often out scoring those teams, and often out performing them... Not always, but often. To hold back bids or recognition because they did not have a bunch of teams in a division is frustrating. They are competing against the field very time. One of the things we love about youth 5 is that those little ones go out like they are in the 46 small senior teams at NCA.

I would like to encourage you to think of this from a wider perspective than just as a dad of a Youth 5 athlete. No one is entitled to go to the summit no matter the level, age, amount of work, shoe size, etc. Think about the sheer size of NCA, and now think that they're only awarding one paid bid per level. Every kid thinks they work hard, every parent wants their kid to be recognized. It doesn't matter if you travel far or stay local. I don't care if you're susie superstar with a double on level 2 or sally shazzam with a tuck on level 5, bids are typically going to the highest scoring teams, and there are exponentially more senior 4 teams than there are Youth 5s and therefore, there is a greater chance of them getting bids as there are a youth 5 team. That's just probability, it's nothing against the Youth 5 division. It's simply math and logic.

My kiddo has been at this sport for 9 years and started at the bottom. My niece is currently 12 and level 1. So I am on both ends of things and respectfully I completely disagree with you. I'm in my 40's and I could hit a prep. Again.. I am respectfully disagreeing. Just my opinion.

It is a hot debate that's popped up more than once on here. I coach level 1 and have seen it all. If they are truely maxed out at their level and doing "hard" level 1 skills, it should be the same as a "hard" level 5 routine. Guess we just agree to disagree :)

Privileged information = gossip, imo.

Honestly, it sounds like a much greater percentage of y5 teams end up with Summit bids than other groups. Like, in my experience, it's much harder to get a bid for j3 or s4. I don't have the numbers to prove that, of course. *shrug*
Think that it's gossip if you want, I can't control that.

I have to agree with @DaniV on this one.

Not sure why we are mentioning how many years our CP’s have been in this sport, but I’ll play along. I’ve had all 4 of my CP’s in this sport (yes 4) I’m going on my 13th year. I’ve had CP’s in mini 1, youth 2, youth 3, youth 4, Jr 3, Jr coed 4, Jr coed 5 (and they went to worlds when on this team, this alone shows how long I’ve been involved in this sport) Sr 1, Sr 2 , Sr 3, Sr 4, Sr coed 4, Small Coed 5, Medium Coed 5, IOC5. My CP’s have been to worlds and the Summit. And after all this time I have to respectfully disagree with you about level 1 being easy. To a level 1 athlete a prep is a double up to them.

I would like to encourage you to think of this from a wider perspective than just as a dad of a Youth 5 athlete. No one is entitled to go to the summit no matter the level, age, amount of work, shoe size, etc. Think about the sheer size of NCA, and now think that they're only awarding one paid bid per level. Every kid thinks they work hard, every parent wants their kid to be recognized. It doesn't matter if you travel far or stay local. I don't care if you're susie superstar with a double on level 2 or sally shazzam with a tuck on level 5, bids are typically going to the highest scoring teams, and there are exponentially more senior 4 teams than there are Youth 5s and therefore, there is a greater chance of them getting bids as there are a youth 5 team. That's just probability, it's nothing against the Youth 5 division. It's simply math and logic.

I am not sure how many ways I need to word this. Never said we were entitled to Summit... Everyone has to earn it. Watching our Y3 try to fight for one this year is evidence of that (.44 behind the bid winner at Cheersport). I know it is close to mathematically impossible for Youth 5 to get one over R5 or J5 (especially since they can score higher by rule-- we really only stand a chance if they go by % of perfection). We were fortunate to "beat" the math last year when we only had one comp to get a bid left once we decided we wanted to go. We put Summit on schedule as a goal.... Because it was a great experience last year.

As many comps as I am in attendance at each year, either working or watching... I get it, and I see it from a variety of perspectives.

Last edited:
I'm not saying what you've been told is gossip, your post is. You're posting about "privileged information" that you "heard" and asking others if they've "heard."
Not interested in what others have heard or trading rumors, sorry if it sounded that way. Just trying to get a feel for how many gyms are open to coming to Summit... Especially in these non worlds level 5 teams.

I am not sure how many ways I need to word this. Never said we were entitled to Summit... Everyone has to earn it. Watching our Y3 try to fight for one this year is evidence of that (.44 behind the bid winner at Cheersport). I know it is close to mathematically impossible for Youth 5 to get one over R5 or J5 (especially since they can score higher by rule-- we really only stand a chance if they go by % of perfection). We were fortunate to "beat" the math last year when we only had one comp to get a bid left once we decided we wanted to go. We put Summit on schedule as a goal.... Because it was a great experience last year.

As many comps as I am in attendance at each year, either working or watching... I get it, and I see it from a variety of perspectives.

Everyone is on a 100 point scoresheet this year so Y5 has just as likely a chance to score high as an R5 or a J5.

Back