All-Star Summit Bid Winners 2015

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I'm seeing some programs being in Orlando about a week. How does this work with your high school age athletes? Besides being way over the absence limit (adding to the ones required for other out of state comp travel days), my girl would be so far behind in their honors and AP classes, that I don't know how they would ever catch up. (AP Tests also start the day after The Summit, which my junior has one that day and one the next day. So thankful her team declined their bid. It was mixed emotions in our family when they won it.) I wish this all fell during the summer. :(
Agreed. There is no way either of my kids could miss a full week + of school, particularly the last 4-6 weeks of the school year. My oldest is missing more than expected for Worlds because it was supposed to be Spring break the week prior to Worlds but they added back the days due to all of the snow days we had this winter, but because it is a special circumstance her teachers are required to give her the work for those missed days ahead of time.

"You are only responsible for being honest, not for someone else's reaction to your honesty."

Agreed. I don't get it. In high school we were only allowed eight absences per class, period. Even with doctors excuses or any other kind of written documentation. I guess most districts just were not as strict as mine. My sister is in middle school now and all she needs to be excused completely is just a parents note, it doesn't even have to be medical. That blows my mind.

Agreed. I don't get it. In high school we were only allowed eight absences per class, period. Even with doctors excuses or any other kind of written documentation. I guess most districts just were not as strict as mine. My sister is in middle school now and all she needs to be excused completely is just a parents note, it doesn't even have to be medical. That blows my mind.

That's the law in France. Technically, if a parent says their kid is sick, nothing else is required and the absence has to be excused. It really doesn't help to enforce attendance. I've seen kids miss school three weeks in a row, but since their parents said they were sick, nothing could be done, no doctor's note required or anything...

I'm seeing some programs being in Orlando about a week. How does this work with your high school age athletes? Besides being way over the absence limit (adding to the ones required for other out of state comp travel days), my girl would be so far behind in their honors and AP classes, that I don't know how they would ever catch up. (AP Tests also start the day after The Summit, which my junior has one that day and one the next day. So thankful her team declined their bid. It was mixed emotions in our family when they won it.) I wish this all fell during the summer. :(
We r in Fl for 10 days my daughter is a Sr and going to a Paul Mitchell academy for school in Sept. So just hoping she can keep up with homework and stuff. She already has "Senioritis"! Plus Srs can do internships if they want to do that somewhere the last 4 weeks of school, so really not much is done those last 4 weeks anyway.

Agreed. There is no way either of my kids could miss a full week + of school, particularly the last 4-6 weeks of the school year. My oldest is missing more than expected for Worlds because it was supposed to be Spring break the week prior to Worlds but they added back the days due to all of the snow days we had this winter, but because it is a special circumstance her teachers are required to give her the work for those missed days ahead of time.

"You are only responsible for being honest, not for someone else's reaction to your honesty."

I'm glad to hear some schools consider this a valid excuse. My cp had a French teacher and we told her the truth concerning the 2 days she missed for NCA in hopes she would allow her to make up a test and homework (several students do AS cheer at her school so they know the truth). Nope :(. I don't understand how HS finals and State can be considered important enough for kids to miss school and considered excused but, when it comes to club sports, they are not.

I'm glad to hear some schools consider this a valid excuse. My cp had a French teacher and we told her the truth concerning the 2 days she missed for NCA in hopes she would allow her to make up a test and homework (several students do AS cheer at her school so they know the truth). Nope :(. I don't understand how HS finals and State can be considered important enough for kids to miss school and considered excused but, when it comes to club sports, they are not.
Just to clarify, it is not a valid excuse at her school. The only reason they are giving her work ahead of time is because the school system is adding back days missed due to snow days during a scheduled vacation week so that they don't have to postpone Graduation. Since I can prove I booked flights prior to the decision to add back the days was made, they are required to provide her the work ahead of time. She will miss 2 days the following week and will have to make up the work from those days when she gets back, as she does any time she misses school.
We are fortunate that our school system is not very strict about missing days, but the general rule is that no work is given ahead of time and it all has to be made up within the second day they return to school. There is no way she could miss a week of AP classes and complete all of the work on time.

Just to clarify, it is not a valid excuse at her school. The only reason they are giving her work ahead of time is because the school system is adding back days missed due to snow days during a scheduled vacation week so that they don't have to postpone Graduation. Since I can prove I booked flights prior to the decision to add back the days was made, they are required to provide her the work ahead of time. She will miss 2 days the following week and will have to make up the work from those days when she gets back, as she does any time she misses school.
We are fortunate that our school system is not very strict about missing days, but the general rule is that no work is given ahead of time and it all has to be made up within the second day they return to school. There is no way she could miss a week of AP classes and complete all of the work on time.

Oh, got it, and I understand. Oldest takes honors classes and can make it up fairly quickly but, my youngest is in a math and science magnet program and the workload couldn't be made in a day or two.

I don't mean to hijack a thread but, kind of related because of dealing with missed school with major comps. Does anyone know of a carrier or service that will provide portable wi fi service on a temporary basis? We don't really want to pay $100 a month for hotspot service when we only need it a few times out of the year while traveling. We tried the hotspot feature on my iPhone for cp's computer and it froze up quite a bit and used an astronomical amount of data in a short time. Anyone?

Oh, got it, and I understand. Oldest takes honors classes and can make it up fairly quickly but, my youngest is in a math and science magnet program and the workload couldn't be made in a day or two.

I don't mean to hijack a thread but, kind of related because of dealing with missed school with major comps. Does anyone know of a carrier or service that will provide portable wi fi service on a temporary basis? We don't really want to pay $100 a month for hotspot service when we only need it a few times out of the year while traveling. We tried the hotspot feature on my iPhone for cp's computer and it froze up quite a bit and used an astronomical amount of data in a short time. Anyone?
If u have Verizon you can add more data for a month. I double mine from 8 to 15 during travel season and might add another 10 for worlds/ summit as my friends in laws house does not have wifi.

I have had decent luck with my hotspot. It is slower, but usable. Sprint only charges you for the time that you use it, so for example, I can buy a week one time only and it is like $20 for the most data they offer. We go on vacation every summer and there is no internet service, so I buy the hotspot for that week. I have heard this works well, but I know nothing about it - On Demand Mobile Broadband - RovAir.com Is this for doing work in the hotel or car? Most hotels offer free wi-fi or for $10-15/day and that is probably your best option.

I have had decent luck with my hotspot. It is slower, but usable. Sprint only charges you for the time that you use it, so for example, I can buy a week one time only and it is like $20 for the most data they offer. We go on vacation every summer and there is no internet service, so I buy the hotspot for that week. I have heard this works well, but I know nothing about it - On Demand Mobile Broadband - RovAir.com Is this for doing work in the hotel or car? Most hotels offer free wi-fi or for $10-15/day and that is probably your best option.

Mainly for the car because, she could get 5-6 hours of work done on some of these trips each way.

If u have Verizon you can add more data for a month. I double mine from 8 to 15 during travel season and might add another 10 for worlds/ summit as my friends in laws house does not have wifi.

We do have Verizon and the four of us share 15 gb. Unfortunately, I am too well aware of being able to up our plan because of my oldest child....curses Snap Chat and Snap Chat stories.:( When my youngest used her computer on my phones hotspot she went through 2 gb in less than 20 minutes and her computer kept locking up on her.

One way I could have gotten away with being excused from school because of competitions was college days. Junior and Senior year we are allowed a certain number of days to visit colleges and not have it count against us exempting exams. For example: Going to UCA? Stop by UCF before heading to the airport/driving back home. Not sure if it works in other states and for the younger ones but, it's always good to know!

My oldest (whose team turned town their AL bid) has AP Calc BC, AP Stats, AP Chem and Honors Spanish, along with English and History. She gets overwhelmed missing one day for cheer travel. A week?! No way! (Her school has a 10 day limit per semester, no matter the reason. Once you hit ten you have to appeal losing credit and sign an agreement that you will not miss anymore that semester and that you will get at least a 70% on the district created final (which even the top students can barely pass as it is out of touch with what was actually taught). If you don't do comply, even if you have a 95% in the class(es), you do not receive credit. It crazy, IMO.

Agreed about school sports or academic teams being able to miss left and right for tournaments, games, matches, meets, etc., and it doesn't count as an absence but club sports that are actually out of state?! Big disconnect.

It amazes me that schools are so strict about this stuff and would actually have a rule against giving kids work ahead of time... We can basically miss for whatever (as long as our parents call us out). It's our responsibility to get the work from our teachers and I've never had a teacher who wouldn't give me work ahead of time. If we don't get our work ahead of time then they'll give it to us when we get back and we generally have until the next class day (block schedule) to do it. I don't travel a TON but we go to national convention for yearbook and miss 4-5 days of school for that and I've never had an issue getting makeup work done in time. And I'm not taking easy classes. I take all AP/Honors and have a 3.97 gpa. Our teachers are pretty understanding about absences and makeup work I guess. I don't really get the crazy restrictions or what they're trying to accomplish.

It amazes me that schools are so strict about this stuff and would actually have a rule against giving kids work ahead of time... We can basically miss for whatever (as long as our parents call us out). It's our responsibility to get the work from our teachers and I've never had a teacher who wouldn't give me work ahead of time. If we don't get our work ahead of time then they'll give it to us when we get back and we generally have until the next class day (block schedule) to do it. I don't travel a TON but we go to national convention for yearbook and miss 4-5 days of school for that and I've never had an issue getting makeup work done in time. And I'm not taking easy classes. I take all AP/Honors and have a 3.97 gpa. Our teachers are pretty understanding about absences and makeup work I guess. I don't really get the crazy restrictions or what they're trying to accomplish.

My district just had a very hard time with truancy. I went to a very good school a little bit out of town in a inner city school district with some rough areas. So the blanket policy for the district (8 absences per class no matter what) was most likely in place for some of the other schools but still applied to us as well. Most of my friends never had a hard time keeping up their grades either in Honors, AP or IB classes, but almost everyone struggled with staying under the absence limit. Teachers were understanding about giving make up work or work in advance of planned absence, but the absence itself still counted. It was out of the teacher's hands.

I've hunted but never found anything of that sort. For the time being I've had to resolve to spend the $100 monthly for Mi-Fi. It's convenient but expensive.

Back