All-Star Summit D2

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Cp's gym is planning on attending this event. They're not a no-name, we've-never-heard-of-them gym at all though. They're just small.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Then her gym would not be what I was curious about. I'm curious about the type of gyms I talked about in my previous post; a gym with like 2-3 teams tops who is purposefully fielding a Y3/J3 team with the sole purpose of coming to this competition. For this gym, they have never in their history (of 11 years) been a gym that sought bids for the Summit or any travel competition for that matter. Those are the gyms I'm interesting in seeing come out of the woodwork.

Why would it flop? It doesn't sound like it would be much more expensive than Cheersport or Supernationals, both of which are STP I believe.
I'm looking forward to seeing this evolve, actually. Since they have the Summit's experience to draw from, I don't think that the learning curve will be all that steep.

It could flop for a few reasons:
1. Small gyms may not be able to split their staff enough if two teams get separate bids.
2. Price---while the fees may be cheaper, CP has been apart of a gym that would qualify for a D2 Summit bid but would never actually be able to afford to go. The comp admission isn't the issue but the plane and STP would be.
3. Teams would receive a D2 bid but don't get it upgraded to the other Summit may chose not to attend and only accept the D2 for the purpose of upgrading.
4. Crossovers; something more common among smaller gyms, if they get both bids which team would you rather take? The Summit or the D2? Each team is likely going to have their own opinion on which one to attend.
5. While I won't talk down about Tampa, I was born there and absolutely love the city; it's not Disney. We have met a few cheer families who love going to The Summit because they turn it into a family thing; dad and kids go to the parks, mom and cheer child do the comps. Tampa doesn't have that appeal, despite not lacking in things to do. Also, you can fly into Orlando and not need a vehicle for your entire trip (the family) if you're staying on property because the shuttles start at the airport and don't stop until you get back to the airport. Unless you want to go off property, or decide to stay off property, you don't need a car. Tampa is not build that inclusively which adds the cost of renting a car.

Don't confuse my cynicalism with wanting D2 to fail; I don't. And I am very interested in seeing how this evolves the sport next year once it's over. I just think much more abstract and can see a lot that can go wrong or make it less appealing to attend.

Currently, all gyms in my state (Washington) are consider small with the exception of 2 I believe (Connect Cheer NW and I believe React AS are large)

so basically every gym in my state besides those two could be eligible for D2.... Curious to see who goes for it/who goes for normal summit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Currently, all gyms in my state (Washington) are consider small with the exception of 2 I believe (Connect Cheer NW and I believe React AS are large)

so basically every gym in my state besides those two could be eligible for D2.... Curious to see who goes for it/who goes for normal summit.

currently React is also a small

I'm going to make a general statement, that of course is not true to all programs, BUT: I will venture a guess that MOST gyms attending the D2 Summit in Tampa, will not have to worry about teams competing in Orlando as well. I think Summit bids will continue to be harder to get, and most "D2" attendees will focus on that event.

Interesting, many small gyms did well at Summit. I am curious if they will have any interest in D2.
At my gym, none of us want to do D2 and many of us are very upset by it. We like being with the big gyms and we hate small gym divisions. We're being seperated because cheer isn't popular in our area? Small gyms are the same skill level cheerleading as big gyms. Its not like the small gyms are so terrible we need our own division. Personally I think small gym divisions and D2 summit is a load of crap and they may think they're helping small gyms, but really they're just adding to the politics of the sport.

At my gym, none of us want to do D2 and many of us are very upset by it. We like being with the big gyms and we hate small gym divisions. We're being seperated because cheer isn't popular in our area? Small gyms are the same skill level cheerleading as big gyms. Its not like the small gyms are so terrible we need our own division. Personally I think small gym divisions and D2 summit is a load of crap and they may think they're helping small gyms, but really they're just adding to the politics of the sport.
Small gyms aren't required to go to D2, they can choose to stay with the big gyms. I'm sure there are small gyms out there that feel the opposite and are glad this comp was created.

Interesting, many small gyms did well at Summit. I am curious if they will have any interest in D2.
I'd say, those that I have either spoken too or heard comment on it, it's about 50/50. 50% plan on going for a Summit bid and 50% plan on going for a D2 Summit bid. I'm sure there will be interest, as at competitions with small gym categories always seem to have teams in those divisions.

I almost think it's a smart marketing move for small gyms. They take their small, but talented gym to D2 Summit. Win. Start to market and pull in other potential new athletes. People like to win (I know it's not everything- trust me. Just giving a broad statement) you win, people start to notice more. Especially when advertising- "Come join the only gym in the area who won the first ever D2 summit.." The goal is to have growth for the athlete and your business. It's a winning idea for the true small but talented gym.

I remember meeting some really nice girls in line for Tower of Terror at the Summit block party this year, and she said they won last year, but had mistakes this year and got 2nd. We both were talking about her gyms and she said they've been around for quite a long time (20 years?), but their gym only had 35 athletes. They had 2 teams last year, a J2 and a S3 or S4, can't remember. They literally were able to win Summit with a gym of 35. I believe this year they got more athletes and were able to field a 3rd team. Small gyms CAN win summit.

I do agree that it does give small gyms a better chance, but the thing that bothers me is that this literally happened to the title of "National Champion" Like "yes i'm a Summit Champion in Summit D2 Small Junior 1 A" (obviously this is exaggerated). I'm not sure how I feel about it yet, idk.

But my gym (currently) qualifies for D2 summit, so we'll see...

I remember meeting some really nice girls in line for Tower of Terror at the Summit block party this year, and she said they won last year, but had mistakes this year and got 2nd. We both were talking about her gyms and she said they've been around for quite a long time (20 years?), but their gym only had 35 athletes. They had 2 teams last year, a J2 and a S3 or S4, can't remember. They literally were able to win Summit with a gym of 35. I believe this year they got more athletes and were able to field a 3rd team. Small gyms CAN win summit.

I do agree that it does give small gyms a better chance, but the thing that bothers me is that this literally happened to the title of "National Champion" Like "yes i'm a Summit Champion in Summit D2 Small Junior 1 A" (obviously this is exaggerated). I'm not sure how I feel about it yet, idk.

But my gym (currently) qualifies for D2 summit, so we'll see...

I think the fact that gyms can market this way just proves that a lot of parents don't have a clue; I'm not sure whether that's a great thing or not, but it's something to think about.

I think the fact that gyms can market this way just proves that a lot of parents don't have a clue; I'm not sure whether that's a great thing or not, but it's something to think about.
Very few parents have a clue about the validity of a "national champion" title when they first start out, I can promise you that. Who would realize that basically every competition crowns their winners as national champions? Who would think that a team who did not go up against anyone would have no problems proclaiming that they were national champions? It took me at least two seasons at our first gym to understand this. It is the same way when a gym says they have a team that went to Worlds without posting the results. New parents will have no clue about the Summit and D2 v D1.

IMO, if a small gym can field teams without crossing over more than one level they will continue to go to Orlando. For those small gyms that make up multiple teams crossing over several levels to pay the bills, D2 has provided those gyms the opportunity to still qualify. As far as the experience, IMO there is something about being at ESPN that sets it apart from any other competition which makes it special. BUT, with that said, both of my cp's said the Summit is the Summit no matter where it is and it is still about the ring. I'm prepared to see many of my favorite small gyms go D2 and not give it a second thought.

Our gym has placed at summit every year but last. And we are a true small gym with a total of maybe 90 athletes- including prep and special needs. We couldn't field a worlds 5 this year due to the majority of our skilled 5 athletes only being 11. (And true level 5 skills not some janky full and level 4 stunts). Most of our older girls have aged out. So we have a lot of crossovers and are in a growing season. Our new coaches- who are multiple time world champs including this past year -are all for d2 summit. Most parents are clueless in the cheer world. I have parents whose kids have been cheering as many years as my CP who text and call me w questions daily lol. Sometimes building the confidence back in the gym is just as important. While I will miss ESPN - this is much less expensive. Especially when CP double teams. Comps get expensive. It will be a great thing for them to win at d2 and then have their worlds team next year with the same group of girls. This group has been together for 3 years and this will be the second year of R5 for them.

I agree that I feel kinda jaded not doing "real summit" but I think we will be surprised how many gyms will be doing d2. Most of the gyms we know are committed to d2 already. Maybe they will change once the season starts. We shall see!

I feel like the d2 summit won't be popular at all for the gyms who have actually been able to field a summit team without crazy amounts of cross overs, and I'm scared small gyms are just going to throw together teams just to be able to go to d2.

Back