All-Star Switching Gyms

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Shoot, I can think of several gyms in this area where you could walk onto a worlds team tomorrow just because they need your full. They are not ring contenders though, they are in fact likely to never make it out of prelims.

If you want to be a contender, you probably need another year or two of experience and/or a specialty to double, combo pass, toe full, etc.

My daughter has had a full for quite some time but is on a level 3 team. She's at a gym that won worlds last year and people with fulls are a dime a dozen. Everyone has them- even some of the 7 year olds. No one is impressed.

Yes, clarifying, you can't just walk on to a Worlds contender team. Really, any level 5 could call itself a Worlds team I guess.

@nellie Since you aren't familiar with the cheer world try thinking about it from the perspective you do know about.

A Junior (Jr in school) World's level 5 cheerleader decides to make the switch from cheer to gymnastics. She has 2 to whip double, 5 jumps to standing tuck and an punchfront arabian through to a double. She decides to leave Allstar for the Gymnastics world. As a Senior she's at a gym and team that doesn't have the intensity she feel's she needs to get her to her goal of competing Elite. She's considering leaving this gymnastics gym (Either now or at the end of the season) for a gym/team who does have her intensity so she can win 1st place in the all around.

Would an amazing tumbler from cheer realistically be able to make that kind of transition in essentially 2 years?

I'm asking because I know nothing about gymnastics.

Last edited:
Just random that I was thinking about this type of scenario last night. My daughter's gym was previously part of a gymnastics gym, so there are quite a few previous gymnasts and since cheer became independent a gymnast or two has trickled in still. There is often some confusion held by new gymnastics-to-cheer parents that their Susies (although they typically DO have lovely tumbling skills) will instantly outskill the cheerleaders who have been cheering for years. There is much more to it. Some skills ARE easily gained, but many will take a long time to master...just like in gymnastics. It can be frustrating...and often offensive to the parent of a cheerleader.

I've just switched to my 3rd gym in the space of four years. My first change was due to location and had absolutely nothing to do with the gym, coaches or athletes. The change I'm doing to my new gym was due to coaches and athletes and the way I was being treated.

Basically I stuck out an entire year at a gym I wasn't happy at cause I didn't want to let down my team mates. Now I'm about to start pre season training for our 2015 season and no one from my old gym knows I have left more to the point none really care.

Basically was I'm trying to say is that it's up to you. If you feel like you can mentally stick it out then do that cause even though your not happy y are apart of a routine and a team that need you. But also talk to people. Friends, family a coach you can trust and they might be able to help you and support you.

Hey guys!
So this is my first year doing all star cheerleading. I was a gymnast (working level 8 & 9 skills) for the last 13 years of my life so it's a whole new ball game. I am loving it. However I'm not loving my gym and not sure of what to do. I'm from Pennsylvania in a really rural area. There are no all star gyms in my area and I drive one hour and fifteen minutes each way 2-3 times a week for practices and tumbling. The team just isn't what I expected it to be. They don't condition or pay attention at practice and I feel like I'm being held back. I have talked to the coach and she said she would put her foot down, but I have yet to see it. I am on a level 4 team with all of my level 5 skills with the exception of a double full (but I'm working on it!) I'm honestly willing to relocate anywhere to find a team that has a level I can excel with. But with only 5 months into the sport I don't quite know all the ins and outs of it yet. So I'm just looking for some advice and guidance on what to do! Thank you so much!

I completely agree with some of the other users that commented on this post. Your happiness comes before anything. I would honestly try to finish the season with your team and try to make the best out of it. But, if you really can't handle this anymore, tell the owner of the gym and leave. You may have trouble trying to get onto another team this late in the season. But you can always call around at other gyms and see what levels have empty spots on it. Lets just say, another gym has a good level 4 team. They are a team that conditions and is in it to win it, join them. Because you can enjoy the seriousness aspect of the team, and improve on some skills, make new friendships, and maybe make their level 5 next season. Or if someone is injured, you can be their alternate and fill in. But, just remember, your happiness comes first and you deserve to be happy.

I completely agree with some of the other users that commented on this post. Your happiness comes before anything. I would honestly try to finish the season with your team and try to make the best out of it. But, if you really can't handle this anymore, tell the owner of the gym and leave. You may have trouble trying to get onto another team this late in the season. But you can always call around at other gyms and see what levels have empty spots on it. Lets just say, another gym has a good level 4 team. They are a team that conditions and is in it to win it, join them. Because you can enjoy the seriousness aspect of the team, and improve on some skills, make new friendships, and maybe make their level 5 next season. Or if someone is injured, you can be their alternate and fill in. But, just remember, your happiness comes first and you deserve to be happy.
I'm sorry, but I have to disagree with this. @Logan Vest, I'm only quoting you for your words, not because I am trying to argue with you. :p

Sometimes, it's NOT all about you. Without hopping on my soapbox, the mentality that "my happiness is the only thing that matters," won't get you very far in life. Sometimes, you have to do things for the good of others. Fulfilling your commitment to a team falls into that category. As an athlete, you have plenty of time to scope out a team/gym before you make a commitment. Once the season starts, you have plenty more time to determine whether it's right for you, before you're in the thick of competition. It's now January, when most times are in the middle of competition season or about to start competing. Now is not the time to quit. Get over it, finish the season, and then pick another gym.

I'm sorry, but I have to disagree with this. @Logan Vest, I'm only quoting you for your words, not because I am trying to argue with you. :p

Sometimes, it's NOT all about you. Without hopping on my soapbox, the mentality that "my happiness is the only thing that matters," won't get you very far in life. Sometimes, you have to do things for the good of others. Fulfilling your commitment to a team falls into that category. As an athlete, you have plenty of time to scope out a team/gym before you make a commitment. Once the season starts, you have plenty more time to determine whether it's right for you, before you're in the thick of competition. It's now January, when most times are in the middle of competition season or about to start competing. Now is not the time to quit. Get over it, finish the season, and then pick another gym.

I agree with you completely. I am not saying it should be all about "you" because you are a team. There isn't an I in the word team. But, if the cheerleader went to the coach and said what is on her mind, and nothing is getting done. Its completely wrong on the coaches part. I encouraged her to stay on the team and make the best out of the season. I also said, that may teams are now in the middle of the season, and it may be hard for her to even find a gym with an open spot on the team. It may have come off that I was encouraging her to quit, but my intensions were that she should try to get through the season...

Her happiness does matter too. With all the time and dedication, it does revolve around her happiness. My teacher said that if someone is on a team and they aren't happy, then they might not try as hard because they don't care about it. Not saying that Nellie would! I am just saying in general. So, her happiness does revolve around the team.

I was hoping someone could help me out

As I mentioned before I've switched gyms but last year I did national comps with my old club and I was under the impression that photos and videos where being done by a professional company. I have gotten in contact with said company and just waiting for them to confirm that they actually did.

What I'm worried about is my old coaches saying they gave me the CDs/DVDs (when they haven't other wise I wouldn't be asking for them) and if any of you would know how to proceed in getting them.

I know they're just photos and videos but they're nice to have since we won these comps

Back