All-Star Switching Gyms

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jan 3, 2015
Hey guys!
So this is my first year doing all star cheerleading. I was a gymnast (working level 8 & 9 skills) for the last 13 years of my life so it's a whole new ball game. I am loving it. However I'm not loving my gym and not sure of what to do. I'm from Pennsylvania in a really rural area. There are no all star gyms in my area and I drive one hour and fifteen minutes each way 2-3 times a week for practices and tumbling. The team just isn't what I expected it to be. They don't condition or pay attention at practice and I feel like I'm being held back. I have talked to the coach and she said she would put her foot down, but I have yet to see it. I am on a level 4 team with all of my level 5 skills with the exception of a double full (but I'm working on it!) I'm honestly willing to relocate anywhere to find a team that has a level I can excel with. But with only 5 months into the sport I don't quite know all the ins and outs of it yet. So I'm just looking for some advice and guidance on what to do! Thank you so much!

Your happiness comes first. At the end of the day, cheerleading is supposed to be fun, so if you're not overjoyed with the way things are run then go with your gut and explore other options. Plus, a level 4 team that doesn't condition is a bit of a red flag to me... There is often a stigma in cheer about 'gym-hopping' and athletes have gotten a lot of heat for it in the past (unnecessarily in my opinion), but don't worry about any of that.

There are a few PA natives on here I think so it might help if you let us know roughly where you're located?

Stick it out for the season and learn all you can in regards to the other aspects of cheerleading. If the team doesn't have a good work ethic and the coaches it owners aren't insisting on one then I would change next season. It sounds like for your first year of cheer a level 4 team is a good starting point. Keep your eyes open at competitions to get an idea of other gyms in your area you might be interested in checking out.

Your happiness comes first. At the end of the day, cheerleading is supposed to be fun, so if you're not overjoyed with the way things are run then go with your gut and explore other options. Plus, a level 4 team that doesn't condition is a bit of a red flag to me... There is often a stigma in cheer about 'gym-hopping' and athletes have gotten a lot of heat for it in the past (unnecessarily in my opinion), but don't worry about any of that.

There are a few PA natives on here I think so it might help if you let us know roughly where you're located?

I'm from Brookville Pennsylvania. So its quite a drive, but honestly I'm willing to maybe drive farther or relocate to get ahead of the game. This being my senior year I wanted to make a level 5 team and next year (my super senior year) make one again to get that worlds ring. Like every other cheerleaders dream.

I'm from Brookville Pennsylvania. So its quite a drive, but honestly I'm willing to maybe drive farther or relocate to get ahead of the game. This being my senior year I wanted to make a level 5 team and next year (my super senior year) make one again to get that worlds ring. Like every other cheerleaders dream.
It may be nearly every cheerleader's dream, but most don't go gym chasing to get one, as there are no guarantees. @Tator tots already asked if you competed yet and this is an important question. If you have, you may not get a release if you leave your gym which means you may not compete at Worlds this year. It wouldn't make much sense to relocate this year if you are unable to compete for a team at a new gym. You could always select a gym within driving distance and take tumbling classes there this season to see if you are a good fit for them for next season.

It may be nearly every cheerleader's dream, but most don't go gym chasing to get one, as there are no guarantees. @Tator tots already asked if you competed yet and this is an important question. If you have, you may not get a release if you leave your gym which means you may not compete at Worlds this year. It wouldn't make much sense to relocate this year if you are unable to compete for a team at a new gym. You could always select a gym within driving distance and take tumbling classes there this season to see if you are a good fit for them for next season.
You only need a release if u competed on a worlds team I think.

Just a few things to think about:
-Most gyms are not going to have that same level of conditioning that you were used to in gymnastics. There should be certainly be some conditioning regimen , but it's not going to be the hours of conditioning consistent with gymnastics. Just keep it in mind....
-Cheerleading team placements will depend on more than just tumbling. Many gyms wouldn't throw someone relatively new to stunting, performing with a team, competing in cheer in general, on a level 5 team right away..... especially if they have enough athletes with level 5 skills to not be forced to put someone with a full on the team just for that full. That is like saying "you can do a prep? Great! Lets try double ups!" when stunting. I've seen a number of gymnasts be put on level 3 & 4 teams for their first year because the gym wants them to learn stunting, jump combos, performing, working as a team, etc. before throwing them into the deep end of a worlds team. I'd be more wary of a gym that said "you have a full?! LEVEL 5 WORLDS TEAM" right away, as that tells me they do not have kids with consistent level 5 skills across the board + they are looking for someone to tumble 20 times across the mat as their sole job....neither of these things are good for you developmentally long term.

If I were you, I would learn as much as I could from the current team (especially the non tumbling aspects), so that when it comes to college &/or super senior, you can tryout anywhere as a well rounded athlete. You already know that the tumbling is there, so work to ensure that all aspects are as strong as they possibly can be. For many of the strong worlds teams, even with a double full, it is no guarantee to make the team. It's all about how the team fits together as a whole, and where you can be useful to the team. The more ways you can be useful to the team, the better.

It may just be my personal experience at the moment but there's something to be said for honoring a commitment at this point in the season. We stuck out a year from you-know-where, but we made the commitment and we finished it only for the sake of their teammates. During that time they just worked extra hard to get skills for themselves that they could bring with them when we left.

Last year, the absolute worst year in cheer history for one of my CPs and as much as she fought us to quit basically all year long we wouldn't let her. She made a commitment and unhappy or not (and she was not) you promised your teammates you'd be there until April. In a strange turn of events, she actually thanked us for not letting her quit after her run at worlds ended in the semi-finals.

My cp16 had one of his stunt group bases quit.....LAST NIGHT. The week of competition. For a team that's already had massive changes and isn't quite up to speed yet....11 days before their first bid competition. My cp14 had two that left the team this week...the week of competition. And at this point I don't think many teams are ever more than a week or two away from a competition. I'm just not a fan of that. Summer is one thing, before showcases is one thing...when the season already started and you're ramping up (we compete 6 of the next 8 weekends) I don't have a lot of positive mojo for people who bail on their commitment in those circumstances. And I've been there. Twice. Yes, you have to do what's right for you, but you can choose the timing of that when you're a member of a team.

If you've never cheered before, use this year to learn. Tumbling is less than half of the scoresheet. You need to learn everything else. If you don't like how they condition. Go running. Do it for yourself. Learn how to stunt, how to perform, how to dance, and jump etc. then after you've finished your commitment, go somewhere else with the experience you need under your belt.

And as a side note, the overwhelming majority of cheerleaders will never make level 5, the majority of those that do will not medal at worlds let alone win....and some of these kids mayve done this for 4,8,12 years and not bring home worlds hardware. If you're only in this to win a worlds ring, the probability of success in that goal is minute (to say the least). I suggest you broaden your overall goals a bit because if you're only chasing a worlds ring as a first year cheerleader, you're not likely to be happy anywhere.

It may just be my personal experience at the moment but there's something to be said for honoring a commitment at this point in the season. We stuck out a year from you-know-where, but we made the commitment and we finished it only for the sake of their teammates. During that time they just worked extra hard to get skills for themselves that they could bring with them when we left.

Last year, the absolute worst year in cheer history for one of my CPs and as much as she fought us to quit basically all year long we wouldn't let her. She made a commitment and unhappy or not (and she was not) you promised your teammates you'd be there until April. In a strange turn of events, she actually thanked us for not letting her quit after her run at worlds ended in the semi-finals.

My cp16 had one of his stunt group bases quit.....LAST NIGHT. The week of competition. For a team that's already had massive changes and isn't quite up to speed yet....11 days before their first bid competition. My cp14 had two that left the team this week...the week of competition. And at this point I don't think many teams are ever more than a week or two away from a competition. I'm just not a fan of that. Summer is one thing, before showcases is one thing...when the season already started and you're ramping up (we compete 6 of the next 8 weekends) I don't have a lot of positive mojo for people who bail on their commitment in those circumstances. And I've been there. Twice. Yes, you have to do what's right for you, but you can choose the timing of that when you're a member of a team.

If you've never cheered before, use this year to learn. Tumbling is less than half of the scoresheet. You need to learn everything else. If you don't like how they condition. Go running. Do it for yourself. Learn how to stunt, how to perform, how to dance, and jump etc. then after you've finished your commitment, go somewhere else with the experience you need under your belt.

And as a side note, the overwhelming majority of cheerleaders will never make level 5, the majority of those that do will not medal at worlds let alone win....and some of these kids mayve done this for 4,8,12 years and not bring home worlds hardware. If you're only in this to win a worlds ring, the probability of success in that goal is minute (to say the least). I suggest you broaden your overall goals a bit because if you're only chasing a worlds ring as a first year cheerleader, you're not likely to be happy anywhere.
I agree. My daughter cheered for 11 years and never came close to winning a worlds ring - but she still wouldn't trade her memories or friendship or her time in cheer because of that. She has had routines that may not have placed first that have been her proudest. She has placed top ten at worlds 3 times. Won Cheersport twice. Placed top 3 at NCA twice - to her that is success. She has also had some not so great competition placements-but this sport has taught her alot about team work, setting goals, not giving up, kept her in shape and I can list a whole lot more. There is a lot more to gain than a worlds ring for most :)

She is also back to cheering on an IAG team this year that may or may not make it to worlds lol but she is doing it because she loves it.

I agree. My daughter cheered for 11 years and never came close to winning a worlds ring - but she still wouldn't trade her memories or friendship or her time in cheer because of that. She has had routines that may not have placed first that have been her proudest. She has placed top ten at worlds 3 times. Won Cheersport twice. Placed top 3 at NCA twice - to her that is success. She has also had some not so great competition placements-but this sport has taught her alot about team work, setting goals, not giving up, kept her in shape and I can list a whole lot more. There is a lot more to gain than a worlds ring for most :)

She is also back to cheering on an IAG team this year that may or may not make it to worlds lol but she is doing it because she loves it.
Preach.

I think the performance I'm most proud of with both CPs was their respective day 2 in their first worlds last year. For cp14 she put up two zero deduction routines (prelims and semi-finals) and finished 12th just shy of the finals cut. Given her backstory all year long....she might as well have won gold. Cp16 was worlds finals. His whole team hit zero in the best performance they had all year...and he had a total ball doing it. He met some great people, we got to finish carpool kid's senior year on the same team together (which had always been a goal of his, to compete together with his brother from another mother before he left for Navarro/SOT). He didn't win either. Got a bronze, which was super awesome, but neither of those were "winning" routines. And they're the ones I cherish the most......so far ;)

It's not always about winning, and if you think it is.....you'll miss 90% of what's important about allstar cheerleading.

Back