All-Star Tall Flyers?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

My CP is a tall flyer. She's 5"2 but only 10 years old. She has legs up to her neck and is extremely flexible.

So yes, tall flyers can look great in the air. It's all about the team balance and where you're needed most.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

I don't think height matters as long as it's visually appealing & balanced. I love the lines that tall flyers can get when pulling body positions.

I've also talked to a lot of bases and they say they don't care how tall the flyer is, but how tight and controlled she is in the air. They say that helps the flyers feel lighter.

CP is the smallest flyer on her team and I think she looks awkward in some of their formations. When everyone is in an extension she looks like she's in a prep, but she's really fully extended. She is not point flyer so you see a line of heads and then there's CP a lot lower (7" or so) than everyone else.

I don't think height matters as long as it's visually appealing & balanced. I love the lines that tall flyers can get when pulling body positions.

I've also talked to a lot of bases and they say they don't care how tall the flyer is, but how tight and controlled she is in the air. They say that helps the flyers feel lighter.

CP is the smallest flyer on her team and I think she looks awkward in some of their formations. When everyone is in an extension she looks like she's in a prep, but she's really fully extended. She is not point flyer so you see a line of heads and then there's CP a lot lower (7" or so) than everyone else.

Sounds like my CP. She is 9 years old and 48 inches. And she is on a Jr 2 squad. She is by far the shortest on the squad, and I think the next smallest girl is a solid 6 inches taller than her. You can definitely see a difference in their prep extentions. LOL

Seen some tall flyers in my life, including one who was about 5'7 on a S4 team. She had great, long leg lines.

I'm a big fan of technique. All things equal in technique, I think coaches are predisposed to smaller flyers.

However, if I'm choosing between two, and Teeny Tiny has poor technique in the air, Tall Flyer is likely going to be my choice.

It's like when people ask about weight.

If 2 flyers are equal in technique, there is a general predisposition toward the smaller.

However, if Miss 80 lbs is not cutting it in technique, I'll gladly replace her with someone who may weigh more but has better technique.

My first year on an allstar team my flyer was 5'6-5'7. She was gorgeous in the air. Had the prettiest spike. Funny part about it was that she was just as tall as our main base (two man style). Best group ever.

Oh and last year my flyer for partner stunting was about 5'7

My CP12 was put in as a flyer on her 4.2 team this year . At the start of the season she was 5'. She is now 5'3 and considered tall. Still holding her own, but it has been hinted that this will be her last year to fly due to her height. I am 5'8" and she is maturing exactly like I did. She is 90 lbs. She always wishes she were short and I wish she could be happy with her body. People always tell her she should be a volleyball player and it makes her so mad! She's like no I'm a cheerleader!!!

Back