All-Star Tcu Not Allowed To Perform Baskets At Nca Nationals

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

@ztaprincess STUNT has more teams involved, but what you are quoting on the USA Cheer website is partly right. The number of SCHOOLS schools involved it what provides eligibility to file for emerging sport status. To my knowledge no school administration or athletic department has endorsed STUNT yet. That's where NCATA is already ahead and to my understanding is almost ready or currently filing for emerging sport status.

@Future I haven't bashed any of the organizations, in fact my goal is to present a path to a solution since no one is providing one right now (at least not out in the open). You can write AACCA if you want, but their role at the moment is to provide a standardized coaches certification and basics of safety instruction. I have heard of the organization stepping in to correct safety deficiencies but I would be surprised if they would step in to tell a university they are being too restrictive.

@cheersafety you know NCATA has already had multiple meetings as they developed their format, that's not the issue. I hope they are still willing to work in the spirit of a possible better solution.

I'm glad people are interested in this issue. As some have pointed out, there have been many industry influences in the evolution of college cheer. Rather than keep rehashing history I think the best way to find a proper solution is to have the best repsentation of coaches and athletes possible without industry influence and decide the future of college cheer.

@ztaprincess STUNT has more teams involved, but what you are quoting on the USA Cheer website is partly right. The number of SCHOOLS schools involved it what provides eligibility to file for emerging sport status. To my knowledge no school administration or athletic department has endorsed STUNT yet. That's where NCATA is already ahead and to my understanding is almost ready or currently filing for emerging sport status.

@Future I haven't bashed any of the organizations, in fact my goal is to present a path to a solution since no one is providing one right now (at least not out in the open). You can write AACCA if you want, but their role at the moment is to provide a standardized coaches certification and basics of safety instruction. I have heard of the organization stepping in to correct safety deficiencies but I would be surprised if they would step in to tell a university they are being too restrictive.

@cheersafety you know NCATA has already had multiple meetings as they developed their format, that's not the issue. I hope they are still willing to work in the spirit of a possible better solution.

I'm glad people are interested in this issue. As some have pointed out, there have been many industry influences in the evolution of college cheer. Rather than keep rehashing history I think the best way to find a proper solution is to have the best repsentation of coaches and athletes possible without industry influence and decide the future of college cheer.
Contacting AACCA is not to see if they can step in....I am contacting them to get on the ball! If they are the only safety organization for cheer, their role is to find out WHY a university would limit skills....or contract for a study to be done in the areas the universities are balking in....They cannot step in...but they do need to step up and be PRO ACTIVE rather than REACTIVE. Thanks for your comments...they are worth reading

@Future I hope that works. They are not the only safety organization in cheer though. National Cheer Safety Foundation has commissioned some of the studies you are talking about using safety experts.

Again, I am not promoting any organizations in this thread, just posting observations.

This is what I have been saying since NCATA and STUNT were formed. If they want to draw in the numbers to get cheer recoginized they need to give those all star athletes something of interest. The athletes that will be eventually filling these teams have been use to an all star routine jam packed with skill and excitement which is far from what these two formats are. If they want to pull in more cheerleaders they need to see what the treads are in the all star world to give them something to look forward to.

I also have questioned whether it really was necessary for those formats to be put into place after the trial. I may have just missed it in the mess that happened during and after the court trial, but was it in writing that they are going to require a format like these two have in order to be recognized?

YES this was addressed by Judge Stephan Underhill by listing all the issues A&T (Acrobatics & Tumbling) sponsored by NCATA and sanctioned by USA Gymnastics would need to correct before recognition by the NCAA and The OCR (Office of Civil Rights) as Title XI (T9) compliant. The only one of the two-listed Cheer Competition related Sports was A&T in the Quinnipiac University (QU) trial and all of the issues revolved around T9 recognition. Only NCATA has a National Governing Body (NGB), which is non-profit, a requirement for NCAA approval as “Emerging Sport.”

Stunt as others have pointed out recently was created following Jeff Webb’s testimony in the QU trial as a volunteer “Cheer Expert Witness” and his discovery of the potential business opportunity represented by the “new sport of A&T!” How was USA Cheer anointed as the NGB for all forms of cheerleading, really … who approved this move? Did any Coaches participate in this decision or ceremony, who, and what were the other options?

So many questions, so little patience!

USA CHEER put out a lot of effort to garner participation this year. To even attempt to file for emerging sport status with the NCAA they need to get more than 10 university athletic departments to actually agree to support. I heard many athletes enjoyed the format, but didn't hear of one university adminstration that supports it.

NCATA has a format already recognized by athletic departments and I think they are even at the point they can file for emerging sport status, if they haven't already. The athletes involved enjoy the sport status, but the cheer world isn't ready to accept it yet. A big detractor as well as there are no opportunities for males.

Compromise would take a large number of coaches that have competed STUNT, current NCA/UCA style, and NCATA to get together and discuss what they think are the important topics. In my mind this could happen by having them all meet a few times or it could happen with a concerted effort over a week/weeekend.

I'll offer to help make it happen if anyone really wants to.

Just a question for anyone regarding history and business competitiveness; until Varsity Brands purchased NCA does anyone remember a single time when these two major organizations in the Collegiate arena for Training and Competition brought together successfully in a single venue a representative set of Coaches and Athletes to create anything better for either Safety or consistency?

If this did NOT occur in the past, why does anyone believe it can occur in the near future? Two different organizations exist for independent reasons and each will hold very closely to their beliefs, activities and traditions for which compromise is NOT an option!

Just a question for anyone regarding history and business competitiveness; until Varsity Brands purchased NCA does anyone remember a single time when these two major organizations in the Collegiate arena for Training and Competition brought together successfully in a single venue a representative set of Coaches and Athletes to create anything better for either Safety or consistency?

If this did NOT occur in the past, why does anyone believe it can occur in the near future? Two different organizations exist for independent reasons and each will hold very closely to their beliefs, activities and traditions for which compromise
is NOT an option!

Good points. I don't think that a group of coaches and athletes has ever been brought together to create something better for safety or consistency. As you stated in your previous post, the trial pointed out the inconsistencies with how Quinnipiac participated in both A&T and NCA/UCA within a season. I don't recall it focussing on A&T's structure, although much of that has changed as they became NCATA, added schools, and entered their second competition season.

Compromise is only not an option if the coaches and athletes you speak of choose for it to be that way (or choose not to act).

The question as hand is: do college coaches and athletes want to continue to be considered an activity and be open to be treat as Alabama, TCU, and other schools have been or do the want to take positive steps to be considered a sport and have all the considerations other sports at their school are given?

This step comes with its pros and cons. Right now I see the lack of recognition restricting teams needlessly from wearing their school rings and doing full skills.

Good points. I don't think that a group of coaches and athletes has ever been brought together to create something better for safety or consistency. As you stated in your previous post, the trial pointed out the inconsistencies with how Quinnipiac participated in both A&T and NCA/UCA within a season. I don't recall it focussing on A&T's structure, although much of that has changed as they became NCATA, added schools, and entered their second competition season.

Compromise is only not an option if the coaches and athletes you speak of choose for it to be that way (or choose not to act).

The question as hand is: do college coaches and athletes want to continue to be considered an activity and be open to be treat as Alabama, TCU, and other schools have been or do the want to take positive steps to be considered a sport and have all the considerations other sports at their school are given?

This step comes with its pros and cons. Right now I see the lack of recognition restricting teams needlessly from wearing their school rings and doing full skills.

Very well said. Is the future of cheer going to go the way we want if we continue to try to just keep it an activity?

I'm sorry, but that's absofrickinloutly ridiculous. Football is dangerous, but we choos to participarte in football. Cheerleading is dangerous so... we choose to limit the skill level. How does that make sense? Another illogical statement is that when in uniform you are on property. That makes no sense. On property means on campus. I'm guessing that rule was designed to keep cheerleaders from throwing baskets at games. Plus the fact that it was changed so soon. "If I had known sooner" Well you should have know sooner. Routines are put together a months in advance. So get involved in your school sports and know what the kids are doing, after all you are the AD. If I were these girls I would be pissed

Back