All-Star Teal Reveal

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

And as far as "crossing down"... If that Olympic relay team all were members of the same college team or club team, they could totally compete at that level and likely blow away their competition! It's allowable! Would it be as prestigious of a victory to them (having won Olympic gold already)? I would doubt it...but they could still do it and set some pretty amazing records too!

Haha, Missy Franklin continued to swim for her high school team after winning Olympic gold medals.
Olympic swim star Missy Franklin turns 18, graduates high school | Fox News

I remember when they mentioned that after her gold and I chuckled. I sort of felt bad for all those high school kids competing against an Olympic gold medalist. Second place would be like first in those heats.

I mean, she's eligible and goes to the school. I don't see why she shouldn't have been allowed to swim for them.

As far as Olympians competing in high school/college competitions...yes it's still allowed. But they must maintain their amateur status, meaning no sponsorship, promotions, etc. Basically no money at all. If Missy Franklin would have taken money and appeared in commercials for a goggle company or been on the cover of a Wheaties box, she would have been ineligible for those competitions. Michael Phelps took the sponsorship and because of this he was only able to be a student assistant coach at Michigan and never competed for them. Jordyn Weiber took them as well and is now a student assistant coach at UCLA. The Olympic gymnasts who "retired" and now compete in the NCAAs maintained their amateur status.

Just a little background info.

As far as Olympians competing in high school/college competitions...yes it's still allowed. But they must maintain their amateur status, meaning no sponsorship, promotions, etc. Basically no money at all. If Missy Franklin would have taken money and appeared in commercials for a goggle company or been on the cover of a Wheaties box, she would have been ineligible for those competitions. Michael Phelps took the sponsorship and because of this he was only able to be a student assistant coach at Michigan and never competed for them. Jordyn Weiber took them as well and is now a student assistant coach at UCLA. The Olympic gymnasts who "retired" and now compete in the NCAAs maintained their amateur status.

Just a little background info.

but what if they "retire" to compete at NCAA and after graduating or not competing there anymore starts competing as like Normal gymnast agai aka worlds and olympics? is that ok? i do not know anything about this. at all. just wondering.

but what if they "retire" to compete at NCAA and after graduating or not competing there anymore starts competing as like Normal gymnast agai aka worlds and olympics? is that ok? i do not know anything about this. at all. just wondering.
Yep! You can compete NCAA and international elite at the same time, it's just more time consuming and difficult so most don't choose to do it. Alicia Sacramone did both at the same time. Mohini Baradwaj did NCAA then elite after graduation. There are a ton more examples (especially of girls from other countries who come to the US for college while still representing their home country in elite gym). It is also VERY common in men's gymnastics to do both because they are both scored the same way (whereas women's elite and NCAA use different scoring mechanisms)

Yep! You can compete NCAA and international elite at the same time, it's just more time consuming and difficult so most don't choose to do it. Alicia Sacramone did both at the same time. Mohini Baradwaj did NCAA then elite after graduation. There are a ton more examples (especially of girls from other countries who come to the US for college while still representing their home country in elite gym). It is also VERY common in men's gymnastics to do both because they are both scored the same way (whereas women's elite and NCAA use different scoring mechanisms)
They can only do it if they've never been professional at any point. The second they choose to go professional (ie make money from sponsorships ect), they forfeit their NCAA eligibility. Sacramone went professional in 07, she was ineligible to compete with Brown from that point forward.

ok thank you. not that into gymnastics anymore. was when i was younger but that was swedish gymnastics and like we NEVER do well at worlds are rarly have anyone at the olympics.

They can only do it if they've never been professional at any point. The second they choose to go professional (ie make money from sponsorships ect), they forfeit their NCAA eligibility. Sacramone went professional in 07, she was ineligible to compete with Brown from that point forward.

ok. thank you. that is good to know. i like gymnastics just not as much as cheer and being swedish where we dont have university sports barely at all so i do not know these things.

I mean, she's eligible and goes to the school. I don't see why she shouldn't have been allowed to swim for them.
I don't disagree. I didn't have an issue with it. I just thought about those kids going..."who's in my heat...oh.....welp, maybe I can get second!" :D the Olympics are (by definition) not professional but amateur so I don't have an issue with it at all. And she refused all endorsement deals in order to not screw up NCAA eligibility so outside of the fact she's a boss swimmer with an Olympic gold, she's just like the other high school kids in the pool.

Here is the glitter penguin video. If you pause at the goals 10 of them have something to do with fulls and doubles...

Back