All-Star Team Communication At Senior Level?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Lazydaisytoo

Cheer Parent
Mar 2, 2013
If your kid is on a senior level team, how are extra practices or schedule changes communicated?

Text to the athletes?
Text to the parents?
Email or phone call to either/both?

I'm in the middle of a situation and I'm questioning whether my expectations are unrealistic.

The team has an athlete only/coach facebook page and also a group chat. There is also a team mom that keeps us updated about everything via email and team parent facebook page, so both. I have been in a situation where only the athlete was notified. It isn't effective lol.

Last 2 years for us most communication was thru the kids, which was a senior team. As parents when we heard of something we would make sure it was posted in a parent group we had. The gym also used their Facebook page for some announcements

Please send money

Whe I was team mom for sr5 I would send weekly emails and post in a group text as changes came up. It's vital the parents are informed as all those kids don't drive and some changes were made while kids were in school.
Be prepared if you ask about it, they might ask you to team parent :/

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

I think with some Senior level teams have 10 year olds on the squads, I think, informing both parent and older athletes will be totally necessary...team text messages and mass emails send by coaches should do the job

This will be our 3rd year, I've never had an email from a team mom. There is no parent FB page or group chat. The only communication I get from the coach is the info email before a competition.

All practice info and schedule changes are directed only to the girls.

CP is getting chewed out about missing an impromptu practice. My issue is that these practices were not scheduled two months ago when I signed her up for an outside tumbling class. She missed one tumbling class because last weeks practice was "mandatory." So last Wednesday, she was told by the owner (not her coach) that they were having another practice this Tuesday. She and I both immediately replied to the owner that she would not be at practice. Tonight rolls around, and CP is getting nasty texts about missing practice.

I text the coach and tell her that I'd texted the owner last week about missing. She gets back to me that CP should have texted her about missing, not the owner. I feel like I can't win here-- I thought we did everything right by letting the person who announced the practice that CP would miss. Obviously the owner never informed the coach. If the coach had ever let ME know about the practice, I would have let her know that CP would miss. When I brought up the communication issues, I was basically told off, that at senior level, everything goes thru the girls.

CP has neither the means to pay the bills, nor the ability to drive herself to practice. I think the coach's attitude is unprofessional, especially when backup means of communication are not available.

You're not out of line here. While a text to the coach probably would have been wise, you informed the owner and the owner failed to inform the coach.

I coached minis and juniors, but everything always went out in multiple ways. Team mom would send an email. Then I would usually post in our private team Facebook group. If it was something really last minute, I'd also text parents and kids with phones to remind them day before. The important thing was that kids AND parents were included in those texts.

Our teams all have a team mom who you have to go through for any information. No one talks to the coach. If there's a problem that needs to be discussed, it goes to the gym director first and then they bring in the coach if needed. Otherwise, all info comes through the TM.

Last year I had a junior team and I would text the parents, the kids, and email the parents information. At comps, I would text the parents and usually the kids too.

It sounds like your gym prefers direct communication with the coach, which I don't understand. I would think the coach would not want to be bothered.

What's that?

Please send money
Must be a CA thing as we all used it. The team rep could start a group chat and add all the athletes, coaches, and parents. It's how we sent out group messages. People can respond or 'like' your message and you know they've seen it. You can have one for athletes only, parents only, or parents and athletes. It's a lifesaver!

What's that?

Please send money
Must be a CA thing as we all used it. The team rep could start a group chat and add all the athletes, coaches, and parents. It's how we sent out group messages. People can respond or 'like' your message and you know they've seen it. You can have one for athletes only, parents only, or parents and athletes. It's a lifesaver!

it also hides your phone number... so coaches can be in on it without giving the entire team/parents their cell #.

CP's team this year and last year use GroupMe and the parents use it for our practice carpool. It's great and crosses phone platforms (iphone and android) without all the group text/SMS issues that arise w different phones.

Mommy to 2 kiddos! One CP and one undecided sports fan :)

The Fierce Board App!

it also hides your phone number... so coaches can be in on it without giving the entire team/parents their cell #.
Both cp and I have had cell numbers for most if not all his coaches over the years. This one is no exception.

Please send money

So I'm not unrealistic in expecting that parents should be in the loop, even at senior level?

The issue arose here because the girls were asked at one practice if they could attend the next. Of course they felt pressure to say yes. When I heard about the practice, I put my foot down, requiring my kid to go to the tumbling class I'd already paid for.

Any honestly, it's so early in the season, I didn't even know who her coach for this team was yet. Since CP was communicating with the owner, I thought she was the correct contact person.

Last edited:
Back