Terminology

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Is flip flop the more used term in Illinois? We had two IL girls at tryouts this past weekend and they called them flip flops instead of back handsprings. Wasn't sure if it was just a coincidence or if it was an IL thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I hate the term flip flop, it sounds so... colloquial. But I'm a bit of a terminology snob, so...

Is flip flop the more used term in Illinois? We had two IL girls at tryouts this past weekend and they called them flip flops instead of back handsprings. Wasn't sure if it was just a coincidence or if it was an IL thing.

Haha I don't know for sure. I know as a child I called them flip flops. The gymnastics clinic called them flip flops as well. But I seem to recall the primarily called back handsprings whenever talking to coaches.

How did tryouts go?

Haha I don't know for sure. I know as a child I called them flip flops. The gymnastics clinic called them flip flops as well. But I seem to recall the primarily called back handsprings whenever talking to coaches.

How did tryouts go?
They went well, thanks for asking :) We haven't heard who made it yet but I'm not worried at all because I'm a senior and my coach loves me (does that sound bad? Lol)

I have always preferred the term 'backspot' to 'back base', although 'back base' makes sense if the backspot is assisting.

Lol. From anyone else yes. But from you...absolutely not. Does your school offer cheer clinics? Would love to bring my Cp up for one
Lol good [emoji23] We haven't done any recently but I've been trying to talk my coach in to doing some for a fundraiser. If we ever end up doing one I'll let you know!

ETA: Random but a girl from UA is coming up this weekend to do a late tryout since she was at worlds and couldn't make the original dates. I have to teach her the cheers and stuff lol

Last edited:
Pre
Prep
Double base
Pre-elevator
First Floor (Second floor being an extension)

Squish
Sponge
Smoosh

I'm sure there are more. I've actually heard a lot over the years by cheering under a lot of different people, but I'm up in Canada

Pre
Prep
Double base
Pre-elevator
First Floor (Second floor being an extension)

Squish
Sponge
Smoosh

I'm sure there are more. I've actually heard a lot over the years by cheering under a lot of different people, but I'm up in Canada

Adding to this list:

Extension Prep

Bump down

Double post: but while staffing camps this summer, I heard a lot of different (some strange) names for things. Examples include:
-chuck (for a cradle) my personal fav
-Over-drive (like when you bump down but take it up to the top and bring down)
-bug (bump down)
-basket (but called a cradle a basket..)

There were tons more but that's all I can think of. "Chuck" makes me laugh every time.

Well young champions will always have the weirdest level system and terminology that I have ever witnessed. We had to do a young champions camp in college and they had the weirdest names for stuff

A toe touch was a whip.

A prep was a bench.

I am sure there are more but I can't think of them off the top of my head. That is probably the weirdest cheerleading organization I have seen.

Well young champions will always have the weirdest level system and terminology that I have ever witnessed. We had to do a young champions camp in college and they had the weirdest names for stuff

A toe touch was a whip.

A prep was a bench.

I am sure there are more but I can't think of them off the top of my head. That is probably the weirdest cheerleading organization I have seen.

My roommate calls double toe touch a double whip. She said they always called them that in high school, which I thought was strange because we are both from south eastern Wisconsin and both UCA schools. Then again we called it a stunt pod and she didn't. Weird.

Back