All-Star Thank You

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I have heard of school teams deliberately NOT filling their teams with allstar cheerleaders. There is a perception that other parents might get upset that their little Suzie didn't have a chance of making it since she doesn't "pay to cheer"....all politics.

Of course, you would NEVER hear of a school football team cutting a kid because he "paid" to play Pop Warner where he developed all his skills! Ridiculous.

Keep your head up....they will be sorry when they realize what they are missing!

Been there / done that too. I even went to speak with the "coach" after tryouts. To her credit, she did meet with me. They were told BHS would be extra credit. My cp did running bhs. When I met with the coach, she told me that the extra credit was only to be used in case of a tie????????? So girls who scored lower made the team and my cp didn't get teh extra credit. Plus, when she showed me the scores, it was obvious ONE person had written them. There was a number that was written in an unusual way. And it was on 3 different sheets! Sometimes you just have to think that somebody else maybe NEEDED to make that team more. Like, you cp has other things in her life, but maybe that is the ONLY thing someone else has to look forward to in their life.

After making my school's varsity squad my freshman year, I was put on JV the next year and didn't even make it my junior despite knowing for a fact that my tryout score was higher than several of the girls on the squad. I still showed up to every single game and competition to support them and after everything that happened instead of being on the team, I can honestly say it was quite the blessing in disguise. Believe me, it's the team's loss, especially in your daughter's case. I'm so happy she's handling it well and I can honestly say that if they don't want her, it's definitely not worth it. Hope she does well this season!

It happens to the best of us from the allstar world. Similar experience happened to me in college. Made it no problem for 2 years and then suddenly one year I didn't make it. Other girls only threw a roundoff backhandspring or roundoff tuck but made the team when I was throwing skills far exceeding that with sharp motions and very pretty jumps to boot (if i don't say so myself ;) ). The judge that year apparently marked down my stunting score because according to her I "was too small to base but too big to fly", regardless of me using correct technique to solidly base girls the same size as me vs. girls twice my size using bad techniques but just being able to chunk a girl up there (and i'm a normal size for all girl basing.....5'5 125 pounds) . It turned out to be the best blessing however, as I got involved in other organizations on campus, met people outside the cheerleading bubble and moved up to leadership positions that have helped me become a much more well rounded person. It's given me the opportunity to work with people much higher up at the university (including an invitation only leadership retreat) and meet closer friends than I ever had on that cheer team. I still get my cheerleading fix from fierceboard and also working for one of the cheer camp companies, but I thank the lord that I am no longer on that college team because they are still having the same problems they always will due to the way its managed, yet I have been able to take what I know from cheerleading and evolve those skills in other outlets. It was most certainly a blessing in disguise!

I didn't make the first squad I tried out for. Made me a better cheerleader, and I think a better coach. Actually, I think it probably led directly to me becoming a coach.

It happens to the best of us from the allstar world. Similar experience happened to me in college. Made it no problem for 2 years and then suddenly one year I didn't make it. Other girls only threw a roundoff backhandspring or roundoff tuck but made the team when I was throwing skills far exceeding that with sharp motions and very pretty jumps to boot (if i don't say so myself ;) ). The judge that year apparently marked down my stunting score because according to her I "was too small to base but too big to fly", regardless of me using correct technique to solidly base girls the same size as me vs. girls twice my size using bad techniques but just being able to chunk a girl up there (and i'm a normal size for all girl basing.....5'5 125 pounds) . It turned out to be the best blessing however, as I got involved in other organizations on campus, met people outside the cheerleading bubble and moved up to leadership positions that have helped me become a much more well rounded person. It's given me the opportunity to work with people much higher up at the university (including an invitation only leadership retreat) and meet closer friends than I ever had on that cheer team. I still get my cheerleading fix from fierceboard and also working for one of the cheer camp companies, but I thank the lord that I am no longer on that college team because they are still having the same problems they always will due to the way its managed, yet I have been able to take what I know from cheerleading and evolve those skills in other outlets. It was most certainly a blessing in disguise!

are you me? haha i had a very similar situation. (except i was not very good haha) now i'm president of a club, assistant editor of the news section of my school's newspaper (and i discovered how much i LOVE writing), webmaster of another club, and publications manager of an student-based athletics support group. I get my school spirit fix from that club, my cheer fix from here/youtube (my roommates think i'm a freak for watching so much! they'll never understand), and i'm definitely way happier now than i was freshman year when i cheered. i miss cheer all the time (esp the BOWS and uniforms) but i definitely didn't realize how much of college i was missing out on because cheer took up SO much time. i still talk to girls on the team, but i have way better and closer friends now too.

My freshman year of highschool I didn't make the team at my highschool and I found all star! I found all star WAY more fun then school cheer... Tell her to keep her head high and try out next year :)

I didn't make the first squad I tried out for. Made me a better cheerleader, and I think a better coach. Actually, I think it probably led directly to me becoming a coach.
I would say a lot of my experience led me to coach as well! Funny how life works!

are you me? haha i had a very similar situation. (except i was not very good haha) now i'm president of a club, assistant editor of the news section of my school's newspaper (and i discovered how much i LOVE writing), webmaster of another club, and publications manager of an student-based athletics support group. I get my school spirit fix from that club, my cheer fix from here/youtube (my roommates think i'm a freak for watching so much! they'll never understand), and i'm definitely way happier now than i was freshman year when i cheered. i miss cheer all the time (esp the BOWS and uniforms) but i definitely didn't realize how much of college i was missing out on because cheer took up SO much time. i still talk to girls on the team, but i have way better and closer friends now too.
Maybe we are twins haha! Both my roomates think i'm crazy when I tell them I'm busy watching cheer competitions online or something. They never really participated in much sports though as they both aren't super coordinated, so I understand why they dont get it. Makes it fun to play Just Dance 3 with them though...... they are convinced that I'm ridiculously good (but i don't tell them that its just because I'm playing against them that i win :) lol )

Honestly, i'd rather cheer allstars than high school any day of the week. Its a much better experience! And more competition. Allstars pushes you soo much harder, in a good way!

I didn't make it in middle school which led me to All-Stars, I then made it my Freshman and Sophomore(JV captain) year. When I was a Junior I didn't tryout because for the 2nd year in a row I was going to have to drive 4 hours each direction from another school activity, they called me the entire day to come and at the beginning of tryouts the sponsor said if I left then she would hold the judges. Needless to say when tryouts came around for my senior year they told us they wanted to be strictly spirit and didn't want to compete and that they would tell the judges, an all-star cheerleader just doesn't know how to not land jumps tight, in addition when my parents went to look at my scores two were in the same hand writing and after the judges wrote the entire time I was in there the 3rd only had numbers. Turned out to be a huge blessing in disguise that year the Varsity fought one of the seniors got kicked off, and I finally had the time to accept a coaching job from a coach who'd been offering for years. Tell her to keep her head up and just focus on All-Stars and ANOTHER WORLDS MEDAL this year, in most cases all-stars is where the best athletes are anyways!;) and Good Luck to her in the future if she trys out again!

Back